Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Samsung CRT tv keeps going red - advice?

• 14-12-2008 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi there,
    This seemed like the best forum for this question - if not let me know.
    I bought a 28" Samsung tv (standard, not lcd or hd or anything) from a fellow boardie as the portable blew up, and I've been noticing an increasing problem with the screen tinting red/pink. As in, I can turn the TV on, start playing a game and it all looks grand, but a red tint will start creeping in more and more over the space of a couple of minutes untill it's really bad and blurry. If i go into the picture menu, flip between settings (ie - from custom to standard and back) it recalibrates it fine again for a minute but then the red starts creeping back again. Sometimes i can go a good while with no problem, and some days it's every 2-3 mins it needs adjusting.
    It happens with tv and xbox, on every picture setting (warm, standard, custom etc) but is much more noticeable while gaming - the amount of flesh tone on tv renders it less annoying and I've tried both the scart inputs on the back and the AV input on the front and it has the same problem so I'm sure it's the tv.
    Does anyone have any ideas or advice on what this is? Google is failing me at the mo and it's head wrecking to stop playing every 3 mins to adjust the screen. I can't give the tv back now, and pitching a massive tv and buying another isn't an option, so i'm hoping it's repairable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pablodublin07

check for presence of speakers, transformers and any other magnetic material (including the fridge) close to it, even in the other side of the wall your neighbor may have something there.
    try moving it to a different place or room to see if there is any changes in the stain pattern.
    It also could be permanent "stained", if this it's the case there are special tools to fix it.A tv tech can do it or it may need to be degauss like the old CRT computer monitors, in that case monitors use to have a button for that.The modern ones degauss automatically when you turn them on.Try unplugging and plugging in it back in a few minutes.

let me know hot it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Thanks for the fast reply.
    There's definitely nothing on the other side of the wall as it doesn't adjoin anything. The only kit near it is the xbox, modem/router and ntl box (there's a lack of places to plug things in so I have everything on an ext lead on the floor and the tvs raised up about 3-4foot. There's no degaussing button so I completely unplugged it for a few mins (we do turn it off from the power button overnight, its not on standby) and just put it back on, sadly the problem came back almost instantly

Also forgot to say, moving the tv to another room isn't really an option - it's a beast. i could try moving the modem etc if you think that could be problematic? If not, looks like i'm looking for a good tv tech in Galway city :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pablodublin07

If it's internal I recommend a qualified tech to look into it as TV sets and monitor can hold a dangerous voltage EVEN WHEN UNPLUGGED for long periods of time. It can be that an internal component has reach the end of it life or it's getting overheat or even can be that during transport something got loose inside (internal wiring , a solder point,etc).
    I don't think a modem will cause such interference in the set, try to unplug it to see whats happen .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Ah well, thanks for the advice. I've emailed some tv techs in Galway to see what the damage will be. Best to get someone in to look at it then I reckon as pausing my game every 60 seconds is driving me mad

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It sounds like the degaussing circuit isn't working. However, it could also be a number of other issues, including the tube itself on teh way out.

Report back when a tech has inspected the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement