Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Docks Development

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

personally, rather than reclaiming land around the city area i'd rather they moved most of the industrial operations out further to the likes of Ros an Mhíl or somewhere further out, and just improve connections to the city with some proper infrastructure, like a dual carriagway and rail connection for heavy goods to the industrial estates. I've no idea how feasible this would be though, so don't get in a twist if it's completely nuts ;)

the Marina will be great though, it's been needed for so long.

It's highly feasable and can be done with far, far less cost then developing Galway. It was shown on TG4 a few weeks ago, you can develop a deep water port in Ros an Mhíl for around 80 million. It's a natural deep water port and only has to be developed.

The same project will cost upwards of 200 million in Galway.
    Plus there will much ongoing dredging costs in Galway that you wouldn't have in Ros an Mhíl. You have some, all ports do but not on a scale of Galway.

Sure Údarás na Gaeltachta own 25 acres of land out there, all ready to be developed for new businesses. But to develop a port a better road is needed to the city and possibly another bypass too.

Tbh, I think it's a better option then Galway if the purpose was imports and for industry.
    But Galway port takes huge quantities of fuel so better to keep that there.
    Plus the whole oceanliner prospect would be huge!

One of these options will be chosen, I wouldn't say it's certain which it will be

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

personally, rather than reclaiming land around the city area i'd rather they moved most of the industrial operations out further to the likes of Ros an Mhíl or somewhere further out, and just improve connections to the city with some proper infrastructure, like a dual carriagway and rail connection for heavy goods to the industrial estates. I've no idea how feasible this would be though, so don't get in a twist if it's completely nuts ;)

the Marina will be great though, it's been needed for so long.

If this were China that's exactly what they'd do!! Just build a whole industrial city and port somewhere else and leave Galway to be a nice "unspoilt" place to rake in the tourist dollars... Not sure if I really buy into that approach either as cities should by their nature develop and have the full mix of uses side by side to be truly dynamic places. Did you see there during the week that some city in China has decided to knock all the recent developments on their waterfront plus knock off up to 20 floors off recently built tower blocks so that they can attain "world heritage site" status... Mad isn't it!

micmclo wrote: »
    Plus the whole oceanliner prospect would be huge!

It would be - unless they end up making Galway ugly as sin in the process of allowing cruise liners to dock!

The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure theres ways and means that the building of the causeway and developing the reclaimed land could work out well provided a LOT of thought and expertise goes into the design of the structures and the masterplanning of the new landbank. Worst case scenario would be for the harbour company to get free reign and we'd basically end up with Galway Enterprise Park x 10 (plus cranes, containers, scrapheaps etc). If done properly and they somehow manage to allow the public access to at least the western half of the new peninsula, perhaps we could end up with a new, contemporary "Long Walk" that could actually visually enhance the city... My real fear is that without a bit of vision it'd become just another East Wall or Poolbeg peninsula...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It's highly feasible and can be done with far, far less cost then developing Galway. It was shown on TG4 a few weeks ago, you can develop a deep water port in Ros an Mhíl for around 80 million It's a natural deep water port and only has to be developed.

Plus there will much ongoing dredging costs in Galway that you wouldn't have in Ros an Mhíl. You have some, all ports do but not on a scale of Galway.

Ya! but the new R336 road that is proposed from Galway - Ros a Mhíl to deal with the traffic that is there now would cost around 120m so touché on that .

You will on your hole persuade Cruise ships to berth in Ros a Mhíl but they could be persuaded to off the rear of Mutton island

The structures in the map originally put up by JC seem like total overkill to me . Yet I think something needs to be done, sometime in the next decade !

By the way , we have been 'trying' to do something with Galway port for 150 years so I am only recycling a 150 year old plan AGAIN :D

http://www.cil.ie/sh676x4637.html

( long page , just over half way down)
    Plans to build a deepwater berth off Mutton Island, with a causeway to Furbo and a railway branch-line from Galway did not materialise. Failure to meet deadlines led to the loss of the mail contract in 1861 and, with all its ships undergoing repair the line could no longer provide a service.

The company was restructured and recommenced services in 1863 but Galway was relegated to a port of call. The company eventually failed in 1864 in the face of competition from shipping lines operating out of other ports, and a reduction in trade because of the American Civil War.
    Collins gives few details of the financial affairs of the company. Perhaps Lever, like Melmotte, kept that information to himself. The 1861 Ordinary General Meeting of the company was held in London, making it awkward for Irish Shareholders to attend.

The Furbo port scheme was resurrected again in the early 1900s but was kyboshed by the Titanic and similar fast cruise liners of that era.

I shall not be held responsible for a modern iteration of that post famine scheme :D and will not send any plans to the harbour board , preferring to amuse myself looking at that map instead .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

There was another plan from some time back which proposed a massive reclaimation out to sea to make a runway and airport, with a docklands situated along the side.

• Advertisement

It's highly feasable and can be done with far, far less cost then developing Galway. It was shown on TG4 a few weeks ago, you can develop a deep water port in Ros an Mhíl for around 80 million. It's a natural deep water port and only has to be developed.

Sure Údarás na Gaeltachta own 25 acres of land out there, all ready to be developed for new businesses. But to develop a port a better road is needed to the city and possibly another bypass too.

Money can be raised by building commercial and residental schemes along with the developement in Galway , not a likely option out in Ros an Mhíl.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Posts here saying that our scenery/views of Galway Bay/Clare are going to be ruined are being exaggerated, sorry but it's true. The way you're going on is as if they're going to build nothing but sky-scrapers out there.

As i've said before, i'll say again... the majority of that redevelopment is only going to be a few feet higher than the shoreline. OK lets say they make a big breakwater, no way is that even gonna be 40ft high as that part of the bay is sheltered by Mutton Island anyhow. There might be a few buildings that will go up closer to the Enterprise Park, but again, they're not going to be multi-story buildings, but merely a few factories.

Arguments about 'losing half of the horizon' make me laugh :p
    If you guys really feel as strong as you're making out on this thread, why not get in touch with Galway Harbour Company/City Council/Whoever rather than whinging on here? Cause whinging aint gonna do diddily squat

There would be amazing views from a skyscraper.:D
    I don't see anything wrong with some reasonably high buildings towards / including the CIE lands .

Galwayrush - Maybe we should write to the GHC/City Council and request that a big 50story apartment block be erected at the end of the pier - 'Living with a view' :D:D:D

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Galwayrush - Maybe we should write to the GHC/City Council and request that a big 50story apartment block be erected at the end of the pier - 'Living with a view' :D:D:D

Let's go for a Toronto style tower as well, that's 110 floors up to the upper viewing area, can we top that............:D It would help reduce the impact of the 50 storey appartment block.:D A nice revolving restaurant on top:cool:
    Another plus,we could install floodlights and some phone transmitters on top,:D

• Advertisement

Posts here saying that our scenery/views of Galway Bay/Clare are going to be ruined are being exaggerated, sorry but it's true. The way you're going on is as if they're going to build nothing but sky-scrapers out there.

As i've said before, i'll say again... the majority of that redevelopment is only going to be a few feet higher than the shoreline. OK lets say they make a big breakwater, no way is that even gonna be 40ft high as that part of the bay is sheltered by Mutton Island anyhow. There might be a few buildings that will go up closer to the Enterprise Park, but again, they're not going to be multi-story buildings, but merely a few factories.

Arguments about 'losing half of the horizon' make me laugh :p
    If you guys really feel as strong as you're making out on this thread, why not get in touch with Galway Harbour Company/City Council/Whoever rather than whinging on here? Cause whinging aint gonna do diddily squat

Ah lovely, yet more exaggeration of other people's comments and insults being thrown around... how nice...:rolleyes:

Do you honestly think they are planning to reclaim all that land, all that way out into the bay and not build ANYTHING on it? I mean come on - even two story high buildings or equivalent height warehouses etc. are going to be very prominent. You can already see the type of stuff I'm talking about in the enterprise park when you look across from the Claddagh Quay. Imagine another mile of that stretching out into the bay. Lovely.

If you have a problem with people expressing views contrary to your own (or "whinging" as you call it) then what the hell are you doing on a discussion board...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Have seen this proposal before, very interesting. Not sure if it will go ahead anytime soon, AFAIK the project was to have been funded by the Harbour Company selling off its land around the Docks to property developers/city council, and with the recession and the way the property market has gone I don't see any developers stumping up the large amount of cash! Maybe I'm wrong, but is there some other way of funding the project?
    Would be fantastic for the city, would create a whole new neighbourhood/amenity around the current docks with marina facilities, probably restaurants and some nightlife, new residential developments...

BTW, looking at the map in your OP John, the causeway seems to run close enough to Mutton Island - it would be a fairly narrow channel for large ships to manouevre in, especially in very windy conditions possibly combined with a strong tide run... or maybe the scale on the map just makes it look narrow!

Zzippy - I'm not sure where the funding is coming from, but when I was told "We've got the go ahead from Europe" I guessed the funding was coming from Europe??

You're right, the channel left between the end of the reclaimed land and Mutton Island looks tiny - My guess is that it's not toally to scale. But take into consideration that no boats would ever be going through that narrow passage ever again, only leisure boats going into the Docks, everything else would be on the SouthEast wall of the new reclaimed land

I hope it happens, finally have a marina in Galway. I think the only people who would object to this is someone who has absolutily no interest/history/involvment with the water. I can just imagine if it was built, in the summer there'd be more fishing rod's hanging off the end of the pier than you could keep count of! There'd be no mackrel left in galway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I wouldn't be worried about them building skyscrapers on it they can be attractive if designed right.
    I'd be more worried about them building big piles of scrap metal and coal like the ones currently in the docks.
    It's not the most attractrive sight in the world.
    I wouldn't mind watching the ships heading in and out, I used to live in the docks and enjoyed watching the oil tankers and research vessels comming and going.

I wonder what the impact on Ballyloughane and Renmore will be. Those areas will be directly overlooking it.
    I seem to recall the locals holding meetings to oppose the development a year or two ago.

Still, I'd like to see the current docks converted to a leisure facility, the city really could do with something like that.
    You would think given the location Galway would have a lots of water based recreation.
    The cruise ship docking would be great too, I'm sure a lot more would visit if they didn't have to use tenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

dloob wrote: »
    I wouldn't be worried about them building skyscrapers on it they can be attractive if designed right.
    I'd be more worried about them building big piles of scrap metal and coal like the ones currently in the docks.
    It's not the most attractrive sight in the world.

Agreed. If you know Limerick you'd know there is a massive scrap heap beside the Clarion Hotel. You can see it coming across the Shannon on Bus Eireann and it looks terrible. Welcome to Limerick!

I wonder what the impact on Ballyloughane and Renmore will be. Those areas will be directly overlooking it.
    I seem to recall the locals holding meetings to oppose the development a year or two ago.

Some residents have valid objections but I don't see this as an example of one. What, it'll ruin their view?
    It's still at least 2km from the port
    Still, I'd like to see the current docks converted to a leisure facility, the city really could do with something like that.
    You would think given the location Galway would have a lots of water based recreation.

So true, if there are facilities they ain't well advertised. Come on Irish Tourism Board and Galway City Council, ye have advantages so develop and use them
    The cruise ship docking would be great too, I'm sure a lot more would visit if they didn't have to use tenders.

Definitly! If Galway starts being used as a stop, it'll be a HUGE bonus for city commerce. Everyone wins and this is the kind of traffic you need to attract with new facilities. Forgive me for using a sterotype but it's mainly elderly people who go on cruises and for sure, they will be high spenders. It'll be great for the city

So true, if there are facilities they ain't well advertised. Come on Irish Tourism Board and Galway City Council, ye have advantages so develop and use them

There aren't any facilities at the moment for mairne leisure really. The majority of the berths at the Docks are leased out, with the exception of a few visitor moorings. If this reclaimed land went ahead, the docks as we know it could be turned into a proper marina, meaning that pontoons would be all over the Docks walls, as opposed to just one corner as it is currently. There could also be a new lock gate built giving 24/7 access - It'd change that part of the city, instead of big tankers coming right into the city (which I like personally) it would be much more eye pleasing yachts/motorboats that would be using it, while all the big commercial stuff would be taking place further out (but still easy to see by walking on the shore)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Zzippy - I'm not sure where the funding is coming from, but when I was told "We've got the go ahead from Europe" I guessed the funding was coming from Europe??

You're right, the channel left between the end of the reclaimed land and Mutton Island looks tiny - My guess is that it's not toally to scale. But take into consideration that no boats would ever be going through that narrow passage ever again, only leisure boats going into the Docks, everything else would be on the SouthEast wall of the new reclaimed land

I hope it happens, finally have a marina in Galway. I think the only people who would object to this is someone who has absolutily no interest/history/involvment with the water. I can just imagine if it was built, in the summer there'd be more fishing rod's hanging off the end of the pier than you could keep count of! There'd be no mackrel left in galway :D

Ah, I thought from your map that ships could be berthed all along the north western side, from the colour coding. Would certainly make for an interesting job for the pilots!

I don't think the funding was coming from Europe, more like "permission" or approval following a feasibility study, this would have to be funded from a variety of sources - think it was a public-private partnership envisaged with the city council, developers and the Harbour Company involved. There might have been some funding from Europe but they would only provide a fraction of the total cost...

The real map which John posted the link to shows major ships docking all along the west side of the causeway with the east side of the peninsula marked as for "fishing vessels". The real map also shows the whole new peninsula being pulled a bit futher east. That coloured block map was just a rough and inaccurate sketch I drew up a couple of years ago to post on Archiseek after glimpsing the plans in a newspaper but not being able to scan them.

I would assume the plan would be to build the causeway and deep water berths first and the land reclaimation would follow very gradually - if at all - as land would be required for harbour development.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Reclamation project was a simplistic way of creating 'valuable development land' in Galway city. It is delusional in the current environment when all that is needed is a non tidal berth ( or two)

None of this will happen for another 150 years the way things are going :(

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Reclamation project was a simplistic way of creating 'valuable development land' in Galway city. It is delusional in the current environment when all that is needed is a non tidal berth ( or two)

None of this will happen for another 150 years the way things are going :(

well there no building go on so where the fill go to com from ?

but nice to see pot that like what you have in the Meditrarian feel to it and new aswell , whats happen for the volvo ocean race , any plans , think work would have start my now
    was in Alicante in 2007 and place was buss of work getting ready for it , was also in Valencia , will again host the America's Cup in 2009 when over a million spectators are expected to view the event from the area's beaches.
    ya leve it to last minute and lick off paint ha ha ha

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ah, I thought from your map that ships could be berthed all along the north western side, from the colour coding. Would certainly make for an interesting job for the pilots!

I don't think the funding was coming from Europe, more like "permission" or approval following a feasibility study, this would have to be funded from a variety of sources - think it was a public-private partnership envisaged with the city council, developers and the Harbour Company involved. There might have been some funding from Europe but they would only provide a fraction of the total cost...
    Good point, wasn't thinking of that, my first initial instinct was 'breakwater' on that NW side, but as that part of the bay is so sheltered, it would make sense to be used for berthing. As said above, there'll be plenty of space between Mutton Island and this reclaimed land. Just look (in real life) at the distance between Muttin Island & Hare Island - plenty!

extraice wrote: »
    well there no building go on so where the fill go to com from ?

but nice to see pot that like what you have in the Meditrarian feel to it and new aswell , whats happen for the volvo ocean race , any plans , think work would have start my now
    was in Alicante in 2007 and place was buss of work getting ready for it , was also in Valencia , will again host the America's Cup in 2009 when over a million spectators are expected to view the event from the area's beaches.
    ya leve it to last minute and lick off paint ha ha ha
    Read the posts again, work HAS begun. They're laying new pipes for the new oil tanks. Also, Galway City car recovery has moved out of it's shed down the docks. The actual construction of the 'village' won't happen until about a week before the stopover, it's all pre-fabricated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

They'll be gone anyhow, you can bet on that! They're already working on it, laying new pipes from where the tankers moor at the Docks, out to where the new tanks will be beyond the Galway Harbour Enterprise Park

Heard on the radio today that there is some sort of dispute going on about the moving of the Topaz oil tanks. Only caught a few seconds of the report so have no specific details.

Anyone hear the full report or have any more info about the dispute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

KevR wrote: »
    Heard on the radio today that there is some sort of dispute going on about the moving of the Topaz oil tanks. Only caught a few seconds of the report so have no specific details.

Anyone hear the full report or have any more info about the dispute?

twas in the IT today... i'll try to dig up the link...

there we go

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0102/1230842349139.html
    FIVE MONTHS before the Volvo around the world fleet sails into Galway, the event's hosts are confident that a breakthrough is "imminent" in preparations for Ireland's first stopover of the race to date.

Difficulties between Topaz and Chevron Ireland over relocating to a new oil terminal have stalled work on laying foundations for the Volvo Ocean Race village in Galway docks.

The Government has committed €8 million to Ireland's participation in the prestigious international event, including funding of the Galway race stage from May 23rd to June 6th.

It represents the largest State investment of its type to date in a sporting event and is expected to attract 140,000 spectators with a prospective spend in the region of €42 million.

The site for the race village in Galway docks is an existing terminal owned by Topaz, the Irish-owned company which was established following the takeover of Shell and Statoil retail fuel businesses in 2005 and 2006.

The six-tank terminal was to have been dismantled before Christmas and relocated to a new purpose-built terminal which meets new international health and safety requirements.

The new Enwest terminal, built at a cost of €38 million, is seeking to lease storage to the fuel suppliers currently spread between two tank farms in the docks area.

It is understood that the two leading players, Topaz and Chevron (formerly Texaco), have some difficulties over the leasing arrangements. Topaz Ireland would make no official comment on the impasse when contacted by The Irish Times. Chevron (Ireland) could not be contacted yesterday.

Ironically, one of Topaz's shareholders is businessman Denis O'Brien who is also part of a syndicate which contributed towards one of two Irish boats in the Volvo race - Green Dragon - currently lying fifth overall.

Galway Chamber of Commerce chief executive Michael Coyle said there was concern over the delay.

"The dock tanks removal is a signal that something is going to happen in Galway," he said. "I have the greatest admiration for businessman John Killeen who secured this event for the west and wants to create some lasting benefits for Galway.

"A combination of regulatory problems and growing issues on the financial side may jeopardise this and there is a need for some flexibility. As a chamber, we know that the Volvo race will make or break Galway's 2009 tourist season."

Fáilte Ireland regional development director John Concannon said the race participation represented a "terrific opportunity to flag Ireland" in host ports - in which Tourism Ireland was engaging.

A major marketing programme highlighting the Galway stage will be initiated in March. It will include a price charter for hotels to emphasise the fact that the event will be free with a strong community focus. The Galway Volvo organisers have acknowledged that there is a "plan B" and a "plan C", including an alternative race village location, if the tanks are not removed in time.

However, they stress that commissioning of the new Enwest terminal storage tanks has already begun.

An Taisce's Galway branch is not happy with some aspects of the Volvo participation. It is opposed to a permanent marina being left inside and outside the docks area after the race departs.

Green Dragon and the fleet are now in Singapore, preparing for the next leg to Qingdao in China. Delta Lloyd, entered by Limerick sailor Ger O'Rourke, is lying eighth, but the seventh placing, Team Russia, has had to suspend participation due to funding difficulties. Let's Do It Galway, backing Green Dragon, said boat sponsorship was "on target", but "tight".

A strong Chinese financial input would ensure a warm welcome in Qingdao, according to Let's Do It Galway chairman John Killeen.

The strengthening euro contributed to savings of up to 30 per cent on its budget during the first stopover in Cape Town, South Africa.

"An Taisce's Galway branch is not happy with some aspects of the Volvo participation. It is opposed to a permanent marina being left inside and outside the docks area after the race departs."

What a crowd of utter tosspots, the ultimate serial objector, An Taisce Galway.:mad: FFS, What is wrong with a permanent Marina at the Galway Docks? Those IDIOTS seem to want to drive back Galway's developement by decades at every oppoturnity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

galwayrush wrote: »
    "An Taisce's Galway branch is not happy with some aspects of the Volvo participation. It is opposed to a permanent marina being left inside and outside the docks area after the race departs."

What a crowd of utter tosspots, the ultimate serial objector, An Taisce Galway.:mad: FFS, What is wrong with a permanent Marina at the Galway Docks? Those IDIOTS seem to want to drive back Galway's developement by decades at every oppoturnity.

Couldn't agree with you more. An Taisce have to be the most backward, inhibiting organisation I've ever come across.

Now that they have stuck their oar in I can guarantee that the reception for the race will be held in beside the Supermacs trailer. I find it very hard to see the tanks gone and the site developed in the next five months.

galwayrush wrote: »

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

They're opposed to the marina but they don't even give a reason (never mind even a good one) why they're against it.

'Ultimate Serial Objector' is definitely fitting when they don't even have a valid reason for objecting.

I had a feeling something was up with the relocation of the oil tanks... They really need to start getting them dismantled within the next few weeks to have any chance of having the site ready for the tented village for the Boat Race. It's a pretty big job just to dismantle the tanks, sheet by metal sheet, then theres the ground itself which I presume will have to be hardcored and concreted over to quite a depth to ensure that contaminants from the previous use don't cause any nasty side effects with people coming to the Race (Even though its only a temporary public use the EPA will be VERY strict on this matter).
    God I hope this dosent fall apart on us... So much effort could literally be scuppered by a row over the lease of the new oil tanks...

BTH wrote: »
    I had a feeling something was up with the relocation of the oil tanks... They really need to start getting them dismantled within the next few weeks to have any chance of having the site ready for the tented village for the Boat Race. It's a pretty big job just to dismantle the tanks, sheet by metal sheet, then theres the ground itself which I presume will have to be hardcored and concreted over to quite a depth to ensure that contaminants from the previous use don't cause any nasty side effects with people coming to the Race (Even though its only a temporary public use the EPA will be VERY strict on this matter).
    God I hope this dosent fall apart on us... So much effort could literally be scuppered by a row over the lease of the new oil tanks...

This is such a big deal to Galway's economy, I reckon anyone who tries to get in the way will soon be picked up and swiftly drop-kicked away :D

But you're right, things really need to go perfectly to plan for all the work to be completed by May... fingers crossed

This is such a big deal to Galway's economy, I reckon anyone who tries to get in the way will soon be picked up and swiftly drop-kicked away :D

But you're right, things really need to go perfectly to plan for all the work to be completed by May... fingers crossed

We should adopt the same approach as the Chinese adopted when they were preparing to host the Olympics - that everything will go perfect and nothing/nobody will be allowed to stand in the way of that.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

Was listening to GBFM this morning and Keith Finnegan had a guy on from the Galway Harbour Company.

He was extremely positive about the whole thing being done in time for the stopover but at the same time it seemed to me that the timescales he envisioned were nothing short of well, short. He said once the tanks had been decommissioned it would take 11 days to take them down. Not too sure how long after that for the ground to be cleared etc but it just seemed like a very short period in which to pull them down. even with that being done would the HSE and the EPA not have an issue with a hospitality village on contaminated land? and any temporary works could only be done with the permission of Shell, will they look for rent?

The other issue was with moving the oil facility to a new place down in the harbour business park. all of the players involved are private comapnies and as much as the harbour and council would liek to be able to kick their ass into gear it looks like they can go as fast or as slow as they want. I'm hopeful that it will all get done on time but it doesnt look too good if one domino doesnt go the rest wont either... dont know if alternatives have been sourced for a race village if things dont go to plan, anyone have any idea?

perhaps things could be speeded up and the council could round up our own dissidents (an taisce and the loony serial objectors) a la the Chinese government and have them work on pulling the things down. It would be a valuable lesson and a positive contribution from that quarter for a change. speaking of which anyone read the latest bitter and bilious letter from An Taisce's Hambleton in last fridays Tribune? it reached an all time low even for him, talk about one bitter blow-in!!!

Advertisement