Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Docks Development

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

JohnCleary wrote: »
    They're not dredging it though, are they? (I'm not in Galway atm) - Used to love seeing them suck out all the water, huge open space and a load of sh1te at the bottom with a JCB driving around the place scooping it up

that sounds so cool.....(although i'm very easily ammused), if they do that someone pm me and let me know, i'll so be there for the day.....the life of a student :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Had a wander down at lunch time. They weren't lifting anything at that stage but the claw was present.

Where else in the world could dragging a dead hooker out of the water be entirely innocent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Got delayed and didn't get a chance to go down to the docks today to see what was going on..
    JohnCleary wrote: »
    They're not dredging it though, are they? (I'm not in Galway atm) - Used to love seeing them suck out all the water, huge open space and a load of sh1te at the bottom with a JCB driving around the place scooping it up

Sounds really cool, would love to see that.

Out of interest, how deep would the docks roughly be after it has been dredged?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

KevR wrote: »
    Got delayed and didn't get a chance to go down to the docks today to see what was going on..

Sounds really cool, would love to see that.

Out of interest, how deep would the docks roughly be after it has been dredged?

About 30ft, depending on how high the tide was on that particular day (Can vary up to about 5ft). On average, at private moorings it's about 22ft which would get a few ft deeper when dredged.

I have an old Maurice Semple book with a pic (I think) of it empty of water and diggers at the bottom - i'll try and scan it next week when i'm back in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

I have an old Maurice Semple book with a pic (I think) of it empty of water and diggers at the bottom - i'll try and scan it next week when i'm back in Galway

Would love to see that!

Anyone know is there more detailed plans available? Wouldn't mind doing a 3d model of the city at the weekend...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I think the river was dredged and deepened (with the docks done at the same time) in the 50s - could be 1956 I think. This was to help prevent flooding. Up to that Long Walk could flood quite a bit. My mother who's from Long Walk originally still talks of coming down the stairs one night to the sight of their piano floating out the door!

By the way - OT (apologies) - anyone know how I can change my name on this thing? I called myself "Churchview" cos my desk at home looks onto a Church, but I've come to realise that it could look like I'm representing the VIEW of the CHURCH here. Definite name change needed!

Passed by the docks a few times in the last few days and that claw thing still seems to be there. Wasn't in operation any of the times I passed so I don't know if they're still dredging or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Someone told me yesterday that we'll have to pay to get on to the docks during the event. Is that true?
    Any of the press comments to date seem to have said that the public will be able to gain access to the docks during the stopover. I do think you will have to pay if you wanted to partake of hosptiality during the event. If there is a corporate village it will have to make some money and from what i know there will be different days and different events on throughout the stopover. if you want to access the bars and meals you will have to pay anywhere from 250Euro per group to 2500 grand.

PS it's nearly February and still no move on the tanks....tick tock....

Was briefed by FI and Lets do it Galway last week - the race village will be free to the public, there will be a large stage with nightly music and events probably Thurs-Sun both weeks, with a smaller stage in use other nights. Entry to the bars will be free, and there will be loads of small craft food and other units. There will be a "Sailors Bar" on the side where the scrap metal usually is, run by the GBSC. There are some corporate events alright involving preferential access to events and gala dinners etc, but the main event is free entry.
    The only really restricted area will be the dock behind the Harbour Hotel where the team maintenance areas (pit lane if you will) is located, for obvious reasons. although there will be some tours available to see the action there too.
    They are still quite confident the tanks will be down on time, Plan B is there if necessary but that is a last resort. Planning application is in, they have to wait 28 days after that before they can start work.
    I'd say this could be a great fortnight... I've a friend in Ce na Mara so will be hanging out in his place a bit! :D

PS Galvianlord, I don't think its that expensive - 2500 grand is €2.5 million!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

Zzippy wrote: »
    PS Galvianlord, I don't think its that expensive - 2500 grand is €2.5 million!!

hmmm....sorry, ponies monkeys and such slang for filthy luchre were never my strong point....of course it meant to read 2.5 grand or k or....essentially what i was trying to say was €2,500.00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

For what it's worth lads, you'll have much better craic in the public areas rather than the restricted areas

• Advertisement

Big article about the Harbour/Ocean Race in today's City Tribune.

Some of the article is availbe online, you have to subscribe to get the full thing or buy the Tribune.

In the full article there is an interseting timeframe for work completed, work ongoing and work to be undertaken for the Volvo Race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Heard him on the Keith Finnegan show this morning, he did not sound very confident that the tanks would be down in time for the race.

Bet they wont be down in time, dont really know what all the excitement is about there are only eight boats in the race four at present and by the time they come to Galway there could be no boats left if they hit stormy weather. Years ago there used to be a huge amount of boats taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

So... any updates on the progress of this?

Any time frame?

http://www.galwaynews.ie/17220-%E2%82%AC200m-new-city-port-will-create-hundreds-jobs
    €200m new city port will create hundreds of jobs

January 25, 2011 - 7:30am ‘Incredible response’ as 500 attend public consultations

BY ENDA CUNNINGHAM
    Around 300 new jobs could be created in the construction phase of the new €200 million Galway Port, with a further 300 jobs when the facility is up and running.
    Galway Harbour Company said it there was an “incredible response” to two special public consultation meetings at the weekend, with around 500 people attending.
    Meanwhile, the Harbour Company is set to lobby political parties ahead of the General Election for funding support for Phase One of the development, which will have a total cost of €50m.
    Eamon Bradshaw, CEO of the Harbour Board told the Sentinel: “There was an incredible response. We expected maybe around 50 people over the two days, and 500 people turned up. When I arrived on Saturday morning, there was a queue outside.He also said he was fully confident of cruise liners docking at the new port by 2015.
    “The response was overwhelmingly positive. People are saying it will be great for Galway and just wondering can we not just hurry up and get on with it!
    “We have to find €50m for Phase One and would hope we could secure 50% of that from Government, although the current Port Policy Statement means capital funding is not available for any port in Ireland.
    “We hope for a change to be made . . . this development will be a huge boost for tourism in the West of Ireland and the economy as a whole, as well as to the Exchequer through VAT and taxes.
    “Also, during construction, around 300 jobs would be created, and 200 to 300 when it’s completed, so there it’s a very significant project,” said Mr Bradshaw.
    The Harbour Company plans to sell off ‘non-core’ properties, such as the contract carpark at the Docks, secure direct investment and will consider Public Private Partnership contracts to carry out the development.

site for the develpment is at http://www.galwayharbour.com/new_port/

pdf with details http://www.galwayharbour.com/10215_GHC_interactive.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I wonder how a port company that turns over €4m a year and makes a profit of less than €1m .....WITH HALF OF IT's TOTAL TURNOVER COMING FROM CAR PARKING CHARGES AND ESPECIALLY FROM CLAMPING .... rather than Docking as such.... can ever raise €50m to fund its end of a massive revelopment scheme. And that in the Good times.

Much of the vacant land down there, the old tank farm , is in NAMA.

The McCarthy report proposes (in effect that) Galway be amalgamated with Shannon in future. It also notes the average salary paid to the staff who work in this carparking operation is €93,000 a year. NiiiiIIce :)

Page 62 of 183 onwards in this report.

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/publications/reports/2011/stateassetts.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hope the port developement goes ahead. To compete, we clearly need a deep sea port as opposed to the existing tidal port , i would prefer to see the potential jobs created in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

A nice piece of research there Spongebob.

Is John Killeen (Coldchon) involved with the Galway Harbour Company or am I getting confused with another company?

Galway as an industrial port is a non runner if you ask me. The whole concept of allowing cruise ships to dock here should be explored alright along with the idea of a marina type tourism effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Toplink wrote: »
    A nice piece of research there Spongebob.

Is John Killeen (Coldchon) involved with the Galway Harbour Company or am I getting confused with another company?

Galway as an industrial port is a non runner if you ask me. The whole concept of allowing cruise ships to dock here should be explored alright along with the idea of a marina type tourism effort.

If the area is developed to cater for cruise ships, it will be well capable of being an industrial port as well, esp. with the freight rail link included in the plan.

Toplink wrote: »
    That is what I think too but it looks as if the matter will be out of our hands fairly soon one way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I wonder how a port company that turns over €4m a year and makes a profit of less than €1m .....WITH HALF OF IT's TOTAL TURNOVER COMING FROM CAR PARKING CHARGES AND ESPECIALLY FROM CLAMPING .... rather than Docking as such.... can ever raise €50m to fund its end of a massive revelopment scheme. And that in the Good times.

The McCarthy report proposes (in effect that) Galway be amalgamated with Shannon in future. It also notes the average salary paid to the staff who work in this carparking operation is €93,000 a year. NiiiiIIce :)

Page 62 of 183 onwards in this report.

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/publications/reports/2011/stateassetts.pdf

Very interesting info, including the bit re what's in NAMA and those salaries.

Since you're good with the investigations, perhaps you might throw light on the following (without naming names, just in case). If the average salary paid to the staff who work in this carparking operation is €93,000 a year, who is actually operating the carparking business day-to-day and receiving such remuneration, and could they possibly have any, um, connection with the people running the Harbour Company?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Rents and carparking, not carparking alone. Not quite the same dramatic effect really, is it?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Very interesting info, including the bit re what's in NAMA and those salaries.

Since you're good with the investigations, perhaps you might throw light on the following (without naming names, just in case). If the average salary paid to the staff who work in this carparking operation is €93,000 a year, who is actually operating the carparking business day-to-day and receiving such remuneration, and could they possibly have any, um, connection with the people running the Harbour Company?
    The average across all staff is €93k, not all carparking staff, according to the McCarthy Report. Mad money nonetheless, but it's not exactly representative of the car parking operation in the docks.

Spongebob's just off on one, hoping no one will have a gander at the source material.

As the report says at the top of Page 59, 47% of the income comes from Rents/Carparking. The Harbour Company have a fair bit of land leased out down there to solid tenants so either this accounts for a fair whack of the ~€2million or Spongebob is right to alert us to a nefarious plan to ensnare large swathes of land in a €50MILLION CLAMP OF IRON AND OPRESSION.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

The old oil tank farm is owned by Galway Harbour Company.

It is most certainly not in NAMA. The Topaz/developers consortium had a deal to buy it at boomtime prices, but there was a loophole in the contract and they backed out last year.

soundbyte wrote: »
    It is most certainly not in NAMA. The Topaz/developers consortium had a deal to buy it at boomtime prices, but there was a loophole in the contract and they backed out last year.
    Hadn't hear it fell through, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

"By the introduction of both on and off street car parking Galway Harbour Company has raised its non port revenue from “NIL” in 1996 to €265,000 in 2002. This figure represents 11% of the Company’s turnover."

Source: Galway Harbour Company's RESPONSE TO THE HIGH LEVEL REVIEW OF THE STATE COMMERCIAL PORTS.

I'd still be interested to know who runs the parking operation day-to-day, and whether the person in charge might have any connections with the people who run the Harbour Company.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    "By the introduction of both on and off street car parking Galway Harbour Company has raised its non port revenue from “NIL” in 1996 to €265,000 in 2002. This figure represents 11% of the Company’s turnover."
    More like €2m now. Remember the €2m odd income from clamping and parking is what they get AFTER the parking/clamping contractors are paid.

I have no idea who actually runs the parking for them or whether they run some of it inhouse.

I have often told tourists not to leave their cars unattended or ticket expired down there because of the clampers from hell who are constantly on the prowl. You know, well tanned people getting out of an 11 D car sort of thing :)

The corpo should paint massive red lines on the road showing where corpo parking tickets end and dock parking tickets begin, the clampers have no scruples about clamping a car with a valid corpo parking ticket bought literally within yards around the corner by some poor eejit of a tourist.

But as to who they are, dunno.

More like €2m now. Remember the €2m odd income from clamping and parking is what they get AFTER the parking/clamping contractors are paid.
    Are you still going to persist with this canard that the ~€2m comes entirely from parking and clamping?

You have some valid points: The proposed development is wildly ambitious, the clampers are notorious bastards, the parking charges are too high and the salaries paid seem to be mental. Why destroy any good work by clinging to gross misinterpretations of the figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Robbo wrote: »
    Are you still going to persist with this canard that the ~€2m comes entirely from parking and clamping?
    Actually no, thank Robbo.. It took a bit of research coz our state owned ports seem not to publish annual reports in the main but "Port Income" = Docking/Stevedoring/Chandlerage and Pilotage which is 53% of total income ( that just under €4m) . So 53% of their income comes from running a docks.

The remaining €1.9m income or 47% ( up from 0% in 1996) is "Non Port Income" and comes from parking together with activities over the bridge towards Renmore including oil and warehousing.

The good news is in this recent blog by some blogger

Once they develop PHASE 1 of the new port for €50m they will
    ....based on the experience of other ports, the first phase of the project would involve a substantial increase in staff, handling of goods worth up to €12 billion and cruiseliner traffic of up to 50 ships.

Grrrreat, let's rock on so !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Fwiw, a carpark in Galway with less spaces than the docks belonging to an establishment with a fancy foyer and a lot of glass, yields an average of 25k per week on car parking alone, so the figure quoted above is entirely plausible.

Advertisement