Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Form 7 for Ireland?

• 14-12-2008 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Well, who should be playing for Ireland after the last two games?

Wallace is the incumbent but he's being played at 8 for Munster, and is possibly showing more at 8 than Heaslip is so could end up playing 8 for Ireland. Imo, he is still our best option at 7 if we persist with Heaslip at 8.

Jennings has a big reputation, which is undeserved imo, he has never shown his Leicester form in the last two years, he fades in and out of games and is often a fairly ordinary player. He's HEC standard, but not International, imo.

Pollock, underage Ireland captain, smart player, the reason behind Ulster's new found form, will come into the Irish team very soon despite being only 21 or so. Would have him behind Wallace and ahead of Jennings.

O'Connor, a forgotten man of Irish rugby but doing well for Connacht, don't think he has the full skills or size to play International rugby, but will give everything for whoever he's playing for. Reckless with his body, in a good way.

O'Brien, already threatening Jennings in Leinster, hugely strong and very smart, but is he going to stay at 7 or move to his more natural position at 6 (imo)? Has struggled with the pace of HEC rugby, but will be up to speed if given gametime.

Ronan, classy player, lovely skills but does he have the bulk for International rugby? Just a bit lightweight imo. Struggled with the pace last week, but lasted the full 80 in style yesterday.

Anyone else?

Who is the form 7 for Ireland? 29 votes

Wallace
    0% 0 votes
    Jennings
    27% 8 votes
    Pollock
    13% 4 votes
    O'Connor
    17% 5 votes
    O'Brien
    6% 2 votes
    Ronan
    24% 7 votes
    A. N. Other, give details
    10% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

On Current form, Pollock, easily. Wallace is an 8, always has been,hope he stays there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Have to say I'm very excited by Pollock, I think we're seeing the start of an Irish legend, he seems to have that extra level that only truly special players have. Could be wrong, but everything looks so calm and easy when he's playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

Have to say I'm very excited by Pollock, I think we're seeing the start of an Irish legend, he seems to have that extra level that only truly special players have. Could be wrong, but everything looks so calm and easy when he's playing.

I dare say he looks like Jennings in '04 for Leinster! :p

At the moment, he isnt my choice for 7 though. Although, maybe worth a run against Italy or something..

I think O'Brien is a 6 as well.

At the moment, I think the best balance is Wallace at 7. Heaslip at 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

voted for wallace but that's only cause you're assuming heaslip is guaranteed of his place, which he most definitely is not. none of the leinster back row would be in the irish 22 after their last few performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think O'Brien may end up being a 6 or 8 anyway.

But a future Irish backrow of O'Brien, Pollock & Heaslip isn't half bad! When players like Ronan are floating around too

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I think O'Brien may end up being a 6 or 8 anyway.

But a future Irish backrow of O'Brien, Pollock & Heaslip isn't half bad! When players like Ronan are floating around too

Forgetting about Ferris? If we're going on form, Ferris would be starting at 6 with Wallace at 8, and probably Pollock at 7, imo. Longer term, I could see O'Brien and Ferris alternating between 6 and 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I said Jennings.

I think on a few occassions for Leinster he has actually shown the form that made him so effective for Leicester.

I didn't say Wallace because I think that he's a great player, but in this day and age a liability at 7. Play him somewhere else. Jennings is our best on the dirt fighting for ball. And every team needs someone like that.

I'd love to see a fit again O'Connor, though I was convinced he was a 6. I always struggle to get the flankers right though. ^^

wallace a liability? are you for real? our best player in the autumn internationals is a liability at 7?

meanwhile you put the misfiring jennings in who isn't even up to HC standard

bleg wrote: »
    wallace a liability? are you for real? our best player in the autumn internationals is a liability at 7?

meanwhile you put the misfiring jennings in who isn't even up to HC standard

I'd rather Wallace at 8 and Jennings at 7. Jennings isn't playing anywhere near as well as he should, but name one other player we'd have scrabbling for ball at the breakdown? We need a McCaw, a Martyn Williams, type. Otherwise we'll continue getting next to no clean and quick ball out of the ruck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Thread is slightly misleading in the sense that a few of those players while playing great ie Wallace and O 'Brien arent 7's as such but more 6's and 8's. The most in form natural 7 at the moment is Pollock imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Stick_man

Pollock has immense promise and Wallace is clearly a better eight than seven, Ireland will keep him there though. The only change I can see in the irish back-row come feburary is Leamy for Heaslip if fit.

I think Heaslip has more talent than Leamy. I also think at the moment Wallace would make the better 8.

In an ideal world (in my mind) Wallace at 8 for a season or two, with Heaslip making appearances when possible, from the bench or against worse teams, and then an out and out 7 at 7.

I think Heaslip has more talent than Leamy. I also think at the moment Wallace would make the better 8.

And Paddy Wallace has more talent than O'Gara. It's not just about talent. Heaslip has enough talent to be a top level player, but does he have the concentration, application and aggression as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i think wallace is the best player but i reckon pollack is the best 7...still needs more experience.

i'd be dissapointed if leamy came in at 8...much better 6 imo but heaslip is a better 8.

And Paddy Wallace has more talent than O'Gara. It's not just about talent. Heaslip has enough talent to be a top level player, but does he have the concentration, application and aggression as well?

Well I'd have said Wallace was a 12 and O'Gara a 10. Different beasts. Heaslip definitely has what it takes in terms of talent. I don't know about the rest. I certainly hope so.

All I know is that given his youth, he's got a few more years to prove it.

I just think David Wallace at 7 is out of position. And at the end of the day, his days are numbered as it stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Shelflife

For me Ferris at 6, wallace at 8 and o connor at 7, i like jennings alot but he hasnt fied since his return, oconnor is an out and out forager and makes up for his lack of size with his tackling he wasnt called johnny concrete at wasps for nothing.

heaslip has a big future ahead of him but seems to have lost his way as well a bit, obrien and ronan and pollock will keep the back row a hotly contested area.

Quinlin for me was an outstanding back row No 6 and its a pity that injury robbed him of so many opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jam_on_toast

Agree with wallace being an 8. He always should have been playing there, just been at 7 for munster cause there has been no one else who can play there for past 8 years or so. They have had plenty of 6's and 8's though so it just made sense for him to play 7.

Eddie was the real problem here, our team for the eddie regime should have been wallace at 8, gleeson at 7 and the rest fightin over the 6 spot.

My choice for the 6N on current form is:
    6. Ferris
    7. Jennings (deserves the chance to make a serious claim i think)
    8. Wallace

Pollock to get game time too. Heaslip needs a kick up the arse i think, a spell out of the side might be what he needs, as Wallace's age is a concern (he is not a long term player).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

I think most people reckon David Wallace must be on this pitch. If that means dropping Heaslip, putting Wallace at 8 and putting someone else at 7 or just playing Wallace at 7 just because he is that good and must be on the pitch whatever. I can't really see an Ireland backrow without Wallace to be honest for the foreseeable future.

Peter B wrote: »
    I think most people reckon David Wallace must be on this pitch. If that means dropping Heaslip, putting Wallace at 8 and putting someone else at 7 or just playing Wallace at 7 just because he is that good and must be on the pitch whatever. I can't really see an Ireland backrow without Wallace to be honest for the foreseeable future.

But that's the problem! He's a great player, but is that worth an unbalanced backrow?

the only way the irish back row is unbalanced is that nobody's form is as good as wallace's. one of the first players down on the team sheet for munster and ireland this season.
    if his season continues the way it has begun he's a definite contender for a lions spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

My choice for the 6N on current form is:
    6. Ferris
    7. Jennings (deserves the chance to make a serious claim i think)
    8. Wallace

He gets his chance every week for Leinster to make a serious claim and he keeps failing.
    But that's the problem! He's a great player, but is that worth an unbalanced backrow?

No, thats why you play him at 7 or 8. Either at 7 and play Leamy at 8 or 7 and give Pollock a go who seems to deserve his chance to make a serious claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

if the six nations was tomorrow my backrow would be this :

6.Ferris
    7.Pollock
    8.Wallace

Advertisement