Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I got paint on my car - how to remove?

Options
  • 14-12-2008 2:11pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure how it happened, but I must have parked near to where someone was painting - as there are tiny speckles of pain all over one side my car.

They are really small, but they are all over one side. I'm wondering what would be best to try to remove it?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

An angle grinder:pac:

IF you dont have an angle grinder try some white spirits or some petrol might do the job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    An angle grinder:pac:

IF you dont have an angle grinder try some white spirits or some petrol might do the job too.

Followed by a good auld wash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

use compuond (the stuff used to lift dirt and grime from car paintwork) its designed to be used on cars
    it will do it no bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

If it's little dots then it's overspray from a roller and it's most likely to be acrylic based exterior paint. This can be as tough (or tougher) to shift than some oil paints when it hard dries. Petrol, white spirits and other solvents won't do jack. There are removal products for water based paint ("Oops" is what I use) available in any paint shop.
    Detailing clay like jackfrosty suggests will lift it too, but it may take some elbow grease.
    The sooner you get to work on this the easier it'll be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

A clay bar using lots of lubricant is probably your best option (used correctly). Then followed by a good polish. Avoid rubbing compounds as they are abrasive, for removing oxidation and scratches, not bonded contaminants like paint overspray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

+1 for above
    Alternative method, can be faster but needs to be done properly

plasticknife or anything with a non sharp metal edge

done some work like that before, little dots everywhere right, if you can get an edge on the dots side you can scrape it away, it kind of cracks off and no damage to paint underneath, you definitely have to know what you're doing doing it this way though.

A compound (very rough on paintwork though) or polish can also work out the dot but takes a lot of hard rubbing, try the aldi/lidl tubes of car polish.

Advertisement