Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised Garda presence?

• 14-12-2008 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Ok so today I have travelled from my house (which is on the dunmore road) into the Cathedral by Red Square and back. So far I have seen 5 Garda cars and 1 Garda motorcycle. Is it just me or is there a higher presence for some reason which I dont know of? Any 1 have any ideas? Or is it just a fluke I've seen so many in such a short journey?:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

It might coincide with the pork back in the shops. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Their out for you man, be very carefull about what you do over the next few days.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just a concidence. That and its closer to christmas with the town being a lot busier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭deiseff

There is more visible presence because of the xmas drink driving campiang thing they startrd the other day. There doing alot more spot checks aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They had a checkpoint on the bridge at about 5:30 AM early last week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Depends on what type cars they were may sound stupid but true.

And the bikes are all ways out on traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 farzad

its x-mas time, remember last year and the year before and ....1970 was the sam.:D most of them try to control the trafic ,coz of x-mas shopping. merry x mas to all of ya

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

I drove up to Cork and back yesterday and on the way up in the morning there was a Garda setting up a speed check on the outer ring road and when I came back in the evening there was someone being pulled over for speeding on the same road....talk about glorified tax collecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Out of interest, where was the speed check ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Speeding is against the law though... The guards are paid to enforce it.. so eh, the problem?!

• Advertisement

Just a bit after the Balinamona roundabout could be mistaken though.
    Speeding is against the law though... The guards are paid to enforce it.. so eh, the problem?!

Quite the problem Sully. I don't know how familiar you are with travelling on the road, but if you are you'll realise that the current speed limit of 6okm/ph is shambolic. With regards to road safety, the Gardai are paid to save lives and minimize dangerous collisions, not to camp on one of the safest and newest roads in the county collecting money for people breaking what is an outrageous speed limit. Considering most of the windy and rubbish roads coming off the round about are 80/100 a little common sense should prevail.

I know the road well and think the speed limit is very strange but its not set by the Guards. They have orders to do speed checks on those type of roads by their seniors and if they dont they are not doing their job. The problem is with cars going excessively (iv been on the road over the limit and the Guards ignored me while doing a speed check) between the short stretches between the roundabouts. I would imagine this would be where common sense prevails and judging by the court section in local press - they are doing just that!

Id have prefered that road was designed with slip roads rather then roundabouts - seems like a better idea and would address the problems encountered with cars racing, slamming on the breaks, queue jumping and putting other cars at risk when swapping between lanes at each roundabout.

As for the older roads - again, not set by the guards. Are a lot of accidents not caused on these old, windy roads? Id love to see more speed checks on these and catch those who really need to be caught over those driving to fast on main roads.

Sully wrote: »
    I know the road well and think the speed limit is very strange but its not set by the Guards. They have orders to do speed checks on those type of roads by their seniors and if they dont they are not doing their job. The problem is with cars going excessively (iv been on the road over the limit and the Guards ignored me while doing a speed check) between the short stretches between the roundabouts. I would imagine this would be where common sense prevails and judging by the court section in local press - they are doing just that!

Id have prefered that road was designed with slip roads rather then roundabouts - seems like a better idea and would address the problems encountered with cars racing, slamming on the breaks, queue jumping and putting other cars at risk when swapping between lanes at each roundabout.

As for the older roads - again, not set by the guards. Are a lot of accidents not caused on these old, windy roads? Id love to see more speed checks on these and catch those who really need to be caught over those driving to fast on main roads.

No, true the limit is not set by the guards but they are the main obstacle in the way of increasing the limit on the road.

Their seniors are guards so same difference? The guards are time and time again picking this road on the basis,it's fair to assume, that as the speed limit is so riduculously low they'll catch more people. My own Grandfather, 65kmph, 2penalty points and a fine.

The road doesn't need slip roads for it to be able to handle 80kmph in all fairness.

As for the other roads I realise the guards do not set the speed limits for them either. My main issue in that regard is with the council who have the power to change the limit. Notwithstanding that, I still think it's crazy for Garda resources to be used in such a way to exploit people doing 70kmph on the ORR. I don't agree with excessive speed and I agree with you that if someone is well over they should be done but the same goes for every road.

Advertisement