Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 iphone irish customers rip off?

• 14-12-2008 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I just saw on the o2.co.uk website they are giving pay as you go users 1 year free unlimited web and wifi access? After which they are charging £10 a month for unlimited web and wifi usage. The are charging us 99c a day for the same up to 50mb.

Is this some kind of joke? I thought the issues with Irish mobile users getting ripped off had been dealt with by politicians long ago? Irish consumers get the worst of everything for years now, I'd like to hear o2's reasoning for shafting us with a higher rate yet again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I just saw on the o2.co.uk website they are giving pay as you go users 1 year free unlimited web and wifi access? After which they are charging £10 a month for unlimited web and wifi usage. The are charging us 99c a day for the same up to 50mb.

Is this some kind of joke? I thought the issues with Irish mobile users getting ripped off had been dealt with by politicians long ago? Irish consumers get the worst of everything for years now, I'd like to hear o2's reasoning for shafting us with a higher rate yet again.

Is it not the case that if you buy an iPhone from o2 Ireland -even PAYG -that you get unlimited wifi access from Bitbuzz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

culabula wrote: »
    Is it not the case that if you buy an iPhone from o2 Ireland -even PAYG -that you get unlimited wifi access from Bitbuzz?

you do, for 12 months.

Exactly. So that's more or less the same as O2 UK, a different company.

The Brits do get free handheld data for 12 months too, which makes the prepaid iPhone over there a great deal, something I have previously remarked upon. But, there are 50 million plus more of them than there are of us, which puts the deal into context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I would have thought the bulk of the cost of an iphone would go on paying for web access. I mean this seems to be the main reason for having an iphone in the 1st place, and paying 99c a day compared to 0c a day seems like a big difference to me.

I would have thought the bulk of the cost of an iphone would go on paying for web access. I mean this seems to be the main reason for having an iphone in the 1st place, and paying 99c a day compared to 0c a day seems like a big difference to me.

yes, would make it very expensive, costing roughly 30€ a month on top of call charges. One more instance of PAYG usually being a false economy? Wouldn't getting one on bill pay be the better option, therefore?

• Advertisement

I would have thought the bulk of the cost of an iphone would go on paying for web access. .

I don't know why you would think this. The cost is the same as in many other countries (where unlimited wifi, etc is NOT included) and for that you get a phone, web browser and iPod Touch included. What you then do with it is up to you.

Yes, the British deal is tremendous in that context, but only feasible by virtue of the huge population of potential buyers that O2 UK reckon they will screw in year two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I'd like to hear o2's reasoning for shafting us with a higher rate yet again.

I think they released a statement a good while ago (when there were many complaints) with their 'reasoning' for the huge difference in iPhone price plans in Ireland and the UK. I can't remember exactly what they said but I think they dodged giving an answer to the actual question that was put to them and started rambling on about how they consider the iPhone tariffs in Ireland to be very good value. :rolleyes:

KevR wrote: »
    I think they released a statement a good while ago (when there were many complaints) with their 'reasoning' for the huge difference in iPhone price plans in Ireland and the UK. I can't remember exactly what they said but I think they dodged giving an answer to the actual question that was put to them and started rambling on about how they consider the iPhone tariffs in Ireland to be very good value. :rolleyes:

Should be in Politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Hahahahahaha...oops...
    That's 1 hotspot for all of co mayo ;)

Aaaah. The fun we have.

strecker wrote: »
    Hahahahahaha...oops...

Aaaah. The fun we have.

You've tried using "The Cloud" in the UK?

Ahhh. Ze fun ve haf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

Exactly. So that's more or less the same as O2 UK, a different company.

O2 IRL and O2 UK are both wholly-owned subsidiaries of Telefonica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

strecker wrote: »
    Hahahahahaha...oops...

Aaaah. The fun we have.

I'd have to go to bray if i needed to get my wifi off bitbuzz!! and i'm not driving 20 miles to hook up to the tinternet on my iphone! I really think o2 should have some kind of data add on for payg customers its costing me €30 a month !

Advertisement