Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ds or psp

• 14-12-2008 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭

im hoping to get some emulators going on the DS or PSP

some amiga,sega mega drive and snes games

so whats easiers to mod so thats its capable of playing the above

i do have a DS

but id be prepared to buy a psp if it ment easier modding etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 moonlightreader

hey could be wrong here but I think the software on a psp you'd buy in a shop today won't allow you to run an emulator. You might need to buy an older psp or downgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hey could be wrong here but I think the software on a psp you'd buy in a shop today won't allow you to run an emulator. You might need to buy an older psp or downgrade.

ya i know that

id be going for a psp2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Psp, hands down. Not only is it easier to mod (you can softmod a psp, DS requires a flash cart) but the emulators run better and there are more of them!

Just don't buy the new psp3000 model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,327 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

PSP is better for emulation alright. It goes without saying really.

BUT!

It's not easier than a DS. No way. DS homebrew on a flash card requires absolutely no modification of the console whatsoever. So you're not going to break anything.

PSP modding isn't exactly hard, but you can't say it's easier than the DS as that requires no modding at all.

o1s1n wrote: »
    PSP is better for emulation alright. It goes without saying really.

BUT!

It's not easier than a DS. No way. DS homebrew on a flash card requires absolutely no modification of the console whatsoever. So you're not going to break anything.

PSP modding isn't exactly hard, but you can't say it's easier than the DS as that requires no modding at all.

thank you o1s1n and animaX for the advice

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »

It depends really. To mod an old first gen psp requires nothing but a few files on the memstick. Newer models are slightly trickier since they require a pandora battery.

Either way, it's likely that you will need to purchase an extra item online (flash cart in the DS case, pandora battery in the psp case). Once you have the pandora battery you can look for auto-installers which do everything for you.

To be honest, if you want a psp2000 you'll have to buy second hand right? Well then why not try to buy second hand with custom firmware already installed. Then you will never need a pandora battery and updating to the latest custom firmware requires only a few files on the memstick.

animaX wrote: »
    Well then why not try to buy second hand with custom firmware already installed. Then you will never need a pandora battery and updating to the latest custom firmware requires only a few files on the memstick.

ya iv been looking for a psp2000 thats has custom fireware but i can't find any

and adverts have a no no against selling modded psp's

and adverts have a no no against selling modded psp's

They're not against the selling of modded psp's per se, they're against the advertising of modded psp's with iso's and stuff.

So if you see a psp for sale on adverts just ask the seller what firmware it has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Ds is a piece of Piss to run SNes Megadrive games on, but you do need R4 or M3 card or similar. Get them with a 1gig card for about 30 euros online. consoleup.co.uk or is it .com are reliable site for flash cards.
    I've no Psp, so never tried than. One thing is for sure Ds is a lot more portable.

Headshot thought you got one of those fancy new smart phone, can emulation software run on that? could be a 3rd option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭ongarite

The PSP emulator support is far superior to DS.
    You have perfect PSX emulation with POPSloader, a usable N64 emulator, excellent NES, SNES, MegaDrive, TurboGrafx, GBA, C64, NeoGeo, Amiga and others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Pc best emulator. hook up an old ps2 pad to an old Pc run mame, and all the other emulators on it. And you have your own classic arcade machine. Or go the whole hog and build a cabinet. I'm planning on doing so some time down the line when I finish fixing up my house. Saying that a long time now.

ongarite wrote: »
    The PSP emulator support is far superior to DS.
    You have perfect PSX emulation with POPSloader, a usable N64 emulator, excellent NES, SNES, MegaDrive, TurboGrafx, GBA, C64, NeoGeo, Amiga and others.

Not to mention CPS1, CPS2 and to a lesser extent CPS3!

Advertisement