Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Leg: The Return of Justin Hawkins!

• 14-12-2008 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭

I'm probably the last to hear about these, but I couldn't find a thread anywhere.

I'm ****ing delighted, The Darkness were the band I've ever seen live. Their albums rocked. And by The Darkness I mean Justin!

Bring on the cheese! I can't wait to see these live! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The song is very catchy . Very Darkness like but at the moment i love Stone Gods and i think they are better then HL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Aye, Justin Hawkins is just another in a long list of falsetto voices. Hot Leg will probably last about as long as British Whale did! Stone Gods have all the basics they need to go far, while Hawkins will probably end up in rehab again by the time the end of 2009 comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

The song is very catchy . Very Darkness like but at the moment i love Stone Gods and i think they are better then HL

Sweet man, I hadn't even heard of Stone Gods, listening to Don't Drdink The Water now and it's class. Thanks! And they seem better than Hot Leg so far, but HL are undoubtedly headed for more success which is gay.
    ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Aye, Justin Hawkins is just another in a long list of falsetto voices. Hot Leg will probably last about as long as British Whale did! Stone Gods have all the basics they need to go far, while Hawkins will probably end up in rehab again by the time the end of 2009 comes along.

Whoaaa.

FunkZ wrote: »

Whoaaa.

Sorry, much as i liked The Darkness, we're talking about a guy who checked out of Rehab and basically told his bandmates to f*ck off after them releasing a statement that they were working on a third album. Hawkins is a runaway train with nobody driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oh god, I don't like these. Its like that bad part of the Darkness(ie. the second album). And yes, comparisons with the Stone Gods will continue, and IMO, they are one of my best new bands of the year. Absolute cracker of an album. Very similar to first Darkness album(the good one), with possibly a bit more bluesy influence. Its more Dan doing his thing, which is so much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Much prefer HL to Stone Gods, who are bit too bryan adams-ish for me, I like the way HL are ludicrous and their songs are extremely catchy. Apparently everything's patched up now between Dan and Justin, according to the former, though I agree it was a mega sh1tty thing to do.

OMG!!!! Hot Leg are playing The Village, 27th feb!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Mushy wrote: »
    Oh god, I don't like these. Its like that bad part of the Darkness(ie. the second album).

I think i just heard Baby Jebus weeping.
    I really don't understand the hate for One Way Ticket To Hell. :(

yar its not a bad album, title track, is it just me, dinner lady arms, girl with the hazel eyes, bald and english country garden are solid tracks, although it lacked the magic of the first album imo.

yar its not a bad album, title track, is it just me, dinner lady arms, girl with the hazel eyes, bald and english country garden are solid tracks, although it lacked the magic of the first album imo.

English Country Garden was brilliant. If that was Queen people would be singing it's praises from the rooftops!

Oh wait....
    As for lacking the magic of the first album, don't nearly every band suffer second album syndrome at some stage? I've learned to just take albums for what they are, rather than comparing to what it could be. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Heres hoping they will die a death a la the darkness before too long.
    God I hated them.
    :mad:

I liked em, they were a breath of fresh air in the chart as well when it was plagued with nothing but Pop Idol reject sh*te, and it was actually nice to hear some guitars if ever you walked into a shop and they had a bad radio station on. :)

I think i just heard Baby Jebus weeping.
    I really don't understand the hate for One Way Ticket To Hell. :(

I just didn't like that second album. Or maybe its cos the first album was just way to damn good that the second could never live up to it. Or else partly, and IMO, Justin took control of everything and just made it ludicrous, which undermines Dans ability, which is now seen in Stone Gods. If the Darkness had stayed the same course, the second album could've been like Silver Spoons and Broken Bones. Its at around that moment I startedto dislike Justin, althoughit only based on that alone.

English Country Garden was brilliant. If that was Queen people would be singing it's praises from the rooftops!

Oh wait....
    As for lacking the magic of the first album, don't nearly every band suffer second album syndrome at some stage? I've learned to just take albums for what they are, rather than comparing to what it could be. :)

Yar, I think they referred to the material as turgid at one point which would suggest they had lost a lot of energy from the first album frenzy.

If silver spoons was the darkness's third album, with Justin on all the vocals and a bit of minor bit of hilarity thrown in (while retaining being a bit more serious than on the previous records), with multi tracked vocals etc, I think it would be on a par with, or even better than permission to land. Although they would have to get rid of that Caribbean section in Don't Drink the Water, that was a musical crime committed! They would be huge again, pity they broke up because they were greater with their powers combined. I think they will reform eventually in the future, maybe 10-15 years down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Serious verse riff in that Ive Met Jesus song.

Yar, I think they referred to the material as turgid at one point which would suggest they had lost a lot of energy from the first album frenzy.

If silver spoons was the darkness's third album, with Justin on all the vocals and a bit of minor bit of hilarity thrown in (while retaining being a bit more serious than on the previous records), with multi tracked vocals etc, I think it would be on a par with, or even better than permission to land. Although they would have to get rid of that Caribbean section in Don't Drink the Water, that was a musical crime committed! They would be huge again, pity they broke up because they were greater with their powers combined. I think they will reform eventually in the future, maybe 10-15 years down the line.

I will agree with all of this bar the Caribbean part of Dont Drink the Water. Really like that bit, even though it doesn't fit at all. Great for an auld bop along to.

And actually, watching those videos more and more, they are growing on me. Still of he opinion that Stone Gods are a hell of a lot better.

new song up on their myspace plus an amazing cover of automatic. Is anyone going to their gig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So how long untill Hawkins throws his rattle out of the pram again?

Advertisement