Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

ip address for braodband

• 14-12-2008 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

ip address of router is 192.168.1.254

i want my ip address of my pc to be 192.168.10.1

can i still use my broadband with this??:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Change the IP (and subnet) of the router. Make the router 192.168.10.254.

Reboot the router for this to come into effect. Make sure your router is now set up to dish out IP addresses in the 10 subnet, say from 192.168.10.10 to 192.168.10.250, leaving some space for static IP addresses at both ends, including 192.168.10.1 for your PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

thanks for the swift reply

but i need to leave the router at that ip range and my pc has to be left at the other way around

is there definetly no way around this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

You cant do this without adding another router into the mix. The ip address 192.168.10.X is outside of the address range that the router is using (192.168.1.X) so they can not communicate.

Why can you not change the ip on your computer?

If its a laptop that you need to bring elsewhere, you can always just change the ip address when you move it from one location to the other. (This can be simplified down to a couple of batch files if its a hassle making it a simple case of double clicking an icon on your desktop depending on your location).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

coolio_64 wrote: »
    thanks for the swift reply

but i need to leave the router at that ip range and my pc has to be left at the other way around
    Why?

because the router is on the range of camera system and my pc has to be kept seperate(for 1 reason or another)

so there is no way around this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

why do you want to do this

because the router is on the range of camera system and my pc has to be kept seperate(for 1 reason or another)
    Well, tell us this "1 reason or another" and we may be able to help.

because i have a device attached to my pc that has a different static ip address that i cannot change

Any chance of a diagram of the setup, and what needs to talk to what? Is this device the camera (i.e. webcam / security camera ?) you referred to? If so, I can't believe that it's IP address can't be changed somehow.

because i have a device attached to my pc that has a different static ip address that i cannot change

the camera system? i'm a bit confused here.

why can't you change the IP range of the camera system? will it not let you or maybe something else using it that needs it at that range? can you not set it to assign by DHCP like most network devices?

what type of camera system is it?

• Advertisement

cheers for the help guys

i dont think this can be done anyway from looking at the replys anyway

cheers for the help guys

i dont think this can be done anyway from looking at the replys anyway

tbh it sounds to me like you're going about this the wrong way. it's very very unlikely that this camera has one dedicated IP that you're forced to use simply because this problem would arise pretty much every time it was sold. how sure are you that you can't change it?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    tbh it sounds to me like you're going about this the wrong way. it's very very unlikely that this camera has one dedicated IP that you're forced to use simply because this problem would arise pretty much every time it was sold. how sure are you that you can't change it?
    I agree. If the camera currently has an address in the 192.168.10.x range, for whatever reason at the moment, and if that doesn't suit, then all you have to do is to temporarily give your laptop a static IP address in that same range so that you can access it's configuration menu, change it to one in the 192.168.1.x range that you've excluded from the range that DHCP on your router offers, and then set your laptop back to DHCP. Bobs yer uncle.

If you are determined to do it this way if your router supports basic vlans you can proably assign a different range to other ports on the router.

I really don't recommend this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You can assign more than one IP to your Laptop's NIC, go into the TCP/IP Properties of that NIC (Make sure you disabled DHCP and assign your primary IP statically) then ADVANCED and ADD under IP-SETTINGS.
    Or you could changed the subnet mask on your primary IP to 255.255.240.0 to allow it to include both subnet ranges (from 192.168.0.1-192.168.15.254) but really the secondary IP is your best bet.

tried this as well and this does not work

cheers for the assistance guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

change subnet mask on router/computers to 255.255.0.0?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

As long as you are on the same switch segment 2ndarys should work fine, I've done it many times. You may have other issues.

Advertisement