Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne Advice Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Think I'm getting acne again. :( It started at the corner of my jawline up near the ear and has worked it's way down to my chin. The spots are on my face and underneath my jaw. My chin has a burning ichy sensation. It's the time of the month so I'm hoping it's just a hormone imbalance.

I first got it when I was 20 and it lasted for a year and a half. I'm now 23. Really not looking forward to having it again. It's suppose to be hormonal so I might go on the pill to sort it out. Anyone else have it just on the jawline? Know anything that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Been on the Roaccutane for over a month now. Skins cleared up a decent bit, obviously there's still quite a bit there. However I think my lips have become dried out and a bit discoloured as a result, boo-urns.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

So I've been using the aloe vera gel for over a month now and I was really happy with how it was going until earlier this week. Where other spots have really decreased in colour and size, and my forehead has nearly cleared totally, around my jawline and chin they just seem to persist. One real angry spot has swollen where it now resembles a huge boil on my mouth. And it's really sore when I talk and eat. And it's really getting me down again. F**king f**king hate them. I'm 27 in a few months. Why is this still happening??

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

Has anyone had any experience with Dermalogica for acne? I'm 17 and am looking for something to help with it! Thanks for any feedback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Alex Swan

I used to pop spots and squeeze blackheads,and I have beenleft with some marks on my skin.How can I get rid of them? I also cannot get rid of blackheads is there anyway of instantly removing them without damaging my skin??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Aaaaw, this looks like a genuine question. :(

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Alex Swan wrote: »
    I used to pop spots and squeeze blackheads,and I have beenleft with some marks on my skin.How can I get rid of them? I also cannot get rid of blackheads is there anyway of instantly removing them without damaging my skin??
    Also, they're not just marks, they're scars, and some of them wont go away for years. You just have to not pop them. Simple as that. I think you can get strips or something for the blackheads, but whiteheads, you just have to wash them and sit it out.

Finally don't go mad with make up (if you're a girl) trying to cover the marks, because make-up blocks pores and that causes more acne, and well, vicious circle is vicious...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

bio oil is good for scars. I don't know how suitable it would be to use on skin though, especially is you're susceptible to acne as it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Just a quick shout out: Neutrogena do this lovely new stuff in an orange tube that doubles up as a face mask if you don't wet your face before hand.
    I think it's called "Daily Deep Cleanse 2 In 1 Wash & Mask" or something to that effect.
    (It's the one that High School Musical chick flogs) Anyways, been suffering with some brutal whiteheads and pustules around my chin and t-zone since due to hormone treatment and this stuff really works a treat.

Whilst we're talking Neutrogena, has anyone had any good/bad experiences with that wee Wave thingy? I was thinking of getting one as they're supposed to be good at deep exfoliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I never had a major problem with acne, though it has been on my face for the last few years. So during the week my Mam suggested going to the doctor because it's gotten a bit worse lately. Though it's still not really bad, I don't like it and I'd like my face to be clear. So the doctor prescribed Differrin cream and Tetralysal tablets, so I'm really hoping they're going to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I found that copious amounts of water was the solution for me. I find that you can break out when you're not eating properly or a bit dehydrated. I drink at least two litres of water a day and try to eat healthily, and it works fairly well for me. Obviously it's not like that for everyone, but definitely try drinking more water and see how you look and feel!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

McChubbin wrote: »
    Just a quick shout out: Neutrogena do this lovely new stuff in an orange tube that doubles up as a face mask if you don't wet your face before hand.
    I think it's called "Daily Deep Cleanse 2 In 1 Wash & Mask" or something to that effect.
    (It's the one that High School Musical chick flogs) Anyways, been suffering with some brutal whiteheads and pustules around my chin and t-zone since due to hormone treatment and this stuff really works a treat.

Whilst we're talking Neutrogena, has anyone had any good/bad experiences with that wee Wave thingy? I was thinking of getting one as they're supposed to be good at deep exfoliation.

The wave is pretty good, found it dried out my nose a bit, but that may just be me as I tend to have an oily nose that goes very dry and flaky whenever I cleanse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Boo27

Hi all,

I just been reading a couple of the replys there, and thinking to myself, yep tried that, that and that, and didnt work...

I never suffered from spots until I was 24 then wham, my face just completely broke out... I just look back on some of the old pictures and I just cringe... I tired everything and money was never an issue... Ro accutane is not one on my list because there is adult acne in my family and my brothers were put on it... really really bad side effects!!!!!!! I have been to many dermtologists and doctors and the only thing they perscibed was ro accuntane.. I would not suggest this at all if you are in any way sexually active and dont like needles.!!!!!

I found a couple of derma places on line and the derma laser clinic jumped out at me... I booked a free consultation...

The day I went that started telling me the same stuff that all the doctors told me.. but Jan Marini was not a name I have heard of before.. The treatment involved over 6 months 6 chemical skin peels with the jan marini products and home care kit of a facial wash and bioclear c ream.. both costing approx 180 eueu.. and the skin peels were 125 each I think.. but they do offer soecial deals and stuff and the staff were amazing.. the peels started off very uncomfirtable and burned a bit and you had to make sure that you had the car parked right outside and give up 6 whole saturdays cause you skin was bright red...

But guys, I will put both hands up and say yes it was very expensive and I said that It was the last time I was going spend that kind of money on my skin but IT HAS WORKED... I had really bad breakoutsa all over my jawline and cheeks and I am now completly clear, well I have gotten one or two around the time of the month, but thats it.. and they are gone within 2 days no lie... I used to pile on concealer every morning before going to work but I havent used concealer in about 4 months now!!!!!!

This treatment has really worked for me and I would recommend to anyone... Dermalaser.com... Based in tallaght or blackrock. :D

Feel free to come back to me with any questions!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I've literally smashed my phone by throwing it against the wall in absolute frustration and anger at theses c*nts on my face. I'm just seething with rage and anger that nothing works for me. I've tried every available product, name it and I guarantee you I've tried it.
    I even spent 2000€ (yes, two thousand) over 6 months getting that laser crap done above poster mentioned last year. Did nada for me.

It's just wrecked my confidence, I have no social life, I won't even go to the cinema, friends don't bother inviting me out because they know I'll just refuse. In my last I used to go in early just so I could get the one computer that meant I wuldn't be facing everyone in the office.

I know this isn't a rant or moan thread but I am just so depressed with them right now. And to make it worse I'm a 26 year old lad.:mad:

Agreed. Nothing ever works. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

Macca3000 wrote: »
    I've literally smashed my phone by throwing it against the wall in absolute frustration and anger at theses c*nts on my face. I'm just seething with rage and anger that nothing works for me. I've tried every available product, name it and I guarantee you I've tried it.
    I even spent 2000€ (yes, two thousand) over 6 months getting that laser crap done above poster mentioned last year. Did nada for me.

It's just wrecked my confidence, I have no social life, I won't even go to the cinema, friends don't bother inviting me out because they know I'll just refuse. In my last I used to go in early just so I could get the one computer that meant I wuldn't be facing everyone in the office.

I know this isn't a rant or moan thread but I am just so depressed with them right now. And to make it worse I'm a 26 year old lad.:mad:

What can I say ? I'm a`16 year old with a few spots and when I look in the mirror, I feel like absolute **** sometimes.

Lord knows how you feel, all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 witchmaiden

I'm 26 and I've had acne since I was a teen, and it's only gotten worse over the years. Nothing, not ONE THING has helped me till I went on tricycline (antibiotic) a few months ago. :)

In the past doctors have put me on creams, lotions, benzyl peroxide, the pill, and I've had terrible reactions to all of them. I wish I'd just insisted years ago on the antibiotics, but I didnt know about them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭cizolin

I had acne for all my teenage years, tried everything to get rid of it, creams, clearasil, prescriptions creams, honey, none worked. I started drinking large quantities of water every so often each day and hey presto it worked. I'd say drink water, more water and even more water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

I f********* hate acne
    :mad:

I really wanna get put back on acutane again. (that stuff is a flipping miracle)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I used to have it pretty bad, back in the day, it magically disappeared when I turned 16...I'm almost convinced!

Use of a Sauna and/or Steam Room does wonders for one's skin, I can say so personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭bevan619

I have my motto :D If you can count the spots then you're grand :P

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

im the same have these boil like spots on my face, do be pure depressed going to work and stuff when there really bad. i once quit drinking coffee and instead was having a vitamin c drink and no sweets and stuff like that and my skin cleared up. just i need that morning coffee so didnt last to long but will try this again soon to see will it work again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ribunny

I've had acne for years. School was a nightmare. I tried everything. I was put on the pill afew years ago - Dianette and it has worked for me. I also use all oil free products on my skin. Cleanser - Clarins do an oil free one. I use nivea oil free moisturiser and Max factor do an oil free make up. I still get some spots every now and again but nothing like it used to be. Combination of the pill and oil free products worked for me. Hope this helps someone.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

If you're at your wits end and have tried everything to clear up your acne, try give up dairy for 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference to your skin. I did try everything (including roaccutane) and although I gave up dairy for other reasons I haven't had one breakout since I stopped eating it.

Make sure you're getting calcium from elsewhere though. Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Have had a awful break out lately sickened cause its usually better in the summer cause of the sun.. Iv even considered having the odd sunbed to help but havnt tried it as off yet.. Using quinnoderm at night as well dunno whether to try using a face mask the odd time..
    Anyone any tips or tricks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Smear a bit of toothpaste on the spot when you have a big one, leave it on overnight! Works like a charm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alex andrews

hi everyone,

I had acne for years and i came accoss this site http://skinaid.org.uk/ simply because one day i went to the doctor and he told me there is no cure for acne only treatment. so i googled acne treatment and the first link i clicked on was that. it is a book written by Rebecca page a beautician living in the uk i think, it's totally brilliant. i learned so much about acne i never knew. i went on the programme for 8 weeks, on the second week my skin was completely cleared up! the book was free to download for the first 1000 people to download. i am so happy now to have perfect looking skin after all these bloody years!!! the products are expensive that they recommend but they totally work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm going to leave that post as it is for now. The website it links to seems like it could be useful, and from what I can tell at first glance it's not profit-oriented. I'll see what the other mods think, and I might review this if we decide it's too spammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mrs K

Have had acne for years, used roaccutane was brilliant. I've tried almost everything. For the past few years I've been cleansing my face with Vichy Normaderm purifying cleansing gel each morning, and it is brilliant! Vichy Normaderm Range Is made especially for acne prone skin includes a moisturizer, exfoliating scrub and foundation. I found the moisturizer a little drying. Also have used quinoderm cream in the evening, just put it on going to bed and wash off next morning! It's great for big pink pimples will dry them out really quickly. Use sparingly at first will tingle a little bit, but you will notice a big change within a few days! Both quinoderm and Vichy normaderm are available in most pharmacies! Vichy normaderm range is priced around €12-€16. Tube of quinoderm costs around €6.00 lasts ages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tsai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vkCR2ZWAe4

Now while she does have an annoying sense of editing, what she says actually works.

In short however , cotton pad + sugar and lemon juice , use it as a facial scrub.

Skin has cleared up drastically in a week from using the method once a day.
    If you have sensitive skin , dilute after pouring on the lemon juice.
    Clears blackheads too.

Hope it helps.

Advertisement