Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne Advice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hurler_87

I tried a lot of things, spent a fortune on a load of creams and pills when I was in school, very paranoid about it all. Even when I started in college it was fierce bad... decided I didn't care anyone, and cut down on fizzy drinks, and increased water intake by a lot...

Shave on a regular basis; and make sure to use the moisturiser, cream and aftershave balm, and calms down all the redness and spots.

Still have a bit of acne, but it's not as bad as it use to be.

Think the best thing for lads anyway is to have plenty of water and good razor. Or go on the pill for the craic, seems to work for the girls ha ha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I shall be starting Roaccutane from the 22nd of June! Nothing else ever cleared it hopefully this will. I got the perscription filled today, just hope I don't suffer from any of the weird side effects :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Cian92 wrote: »
    I shall be starting Roaccutane from the 22nd of June! Nothing else ever cleared it hopefully this will. I got the perscription filled today, just hope I don't suffer from any of the weird side effects :)

Just as prior warning, get loads of moisturiser and vaseline for lips. You might need some eyedrops too.....;) Hydration is really important too with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

i agree

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MacAva

I too suffer from breakouts.

I used to suffer from spots for years (15-19) then went on the pill, which helped! Then I got PanOxyl cream and worked wonders!!!

However, One week id have great skin, completely clear!! Next i could have a big breakout! I havnt used PanOxyl in about a month or two because my local boots has been out of stock for months!! Anyone know anywhere in Dublin that stocks it at the moment! I think this is the one thing that has kept my spots at bay!

Been using quinoderm in the meantime and not nearly as good!! Maybe everyones different. Really dried out my skin but then again PanOxyl did the same at the start and then I think my skin got used to it.

Any advice on diet or vitamins?? Does water really help??

Spots really do get me down... especially when they come and go. I get used to good skin and then they return. Its so depressing, I wish I cud turn my back on them for good. I'd be a much happier person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

MacAva wrote: »
    I too suffer from breakouts.

I used to suffer from spots for years (15-19) then went on the pill, which helped! Then I got PanOxyl cream and worked wonders!!!

However, One week id have great skin, completely clear!! Next i could have a big breakout! I havnt used PanOxyl in about a month or two because my local boots has been out of stock for months!! Anyone know anywhere in Dublin that stocks it at the moment! I think this is the one thing that has kept my spots at bay!

Been using quinoderm in the meantime and not nearly as good!! Maybe everyones different. Really dried out my skin but then again PanOxyl did the same at the start and then I think my skin got used to it.

Any advice on diet or vitamins?? Does water really help??

Spots really do get me down... especially when they come and go. I get used to good skin and then they return. Its so depressing, I wish I cud turn my back on them for good. I'd be a much happier person.

Hi I have had horrible hormonal acne for the past year and am on Dianette without any change in my skin ...grr.. ... anyway..

Lately I've been really interested in eating only Low GI foods. I'm cutting out anything bad and following a specific diet plan in order to get healthy and HOPEFULLY see an improvement in my skin. Maybe you should give it a look, I've only started so it could go any way but eating healthy should be good for me anyway which could help reduce stress etc.

I also take a daily multivitamin, Evening Primrose oil, Vitamin B6 and zinc supplements.

Definitely look into it, already I notice I feel happier, and like you having spots REALLY makes you feel crappy. Hope that helps!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

I just started Roaccutane yesterday. It's verrrry early days yet but so far so good. My dermatologist advised against moisturiser if possible though, I guess you should check with yours (or your GP) to see what's best for you. Please keep us informed! :)

Saaron wrote: »
    Hi I have had horrible hormonal acne for the past year and am on Dianette without any change in my skin ...grr.. ... anyway..

Lately I've been really interested in eating only Low GI foods. I'm cutting out anything bad and following a specific diet plan in order to get healthy and HOPEFULLY see an improvement in my skin. Maybe you should give it a look, I've only started so it could go any way but eating healthy should be good for me anyway which could help reduce stress etc.

I also take a daily multivitamin, Evening Primrose oil, Vitamin B6 and zinc supplements.

Definitely look into it, already I notice I feel happier, and like you having spots REALLY makes you feel crappy. Hope that helps!! :)
    #

Thanks Saaron,

That's some good advice. I have started recently taking Perfectil vitamins. I will look into the Primrose oil also. I myself have started eating a lot healthier. More fruit and at least 4 pints of water a day.

I was on dianette for 2.5 years and saw a GREAT improvement in my skin!! Did take time though. I had to come off it because of the risks of taking it for a long period of time icon9.gif really sucks cos it definitely worked for me! I dont have acne but it kept the breakouts at bay.

My friend recently advised me to use St Ives Apricot face scrub and I got it a few days ago in Tesco (the only place that has it here apparently) and it was really good if you wana give it a try. Its an exfoliator and quite rough so you have to rub it in gently and slowly but I have never felt my skin so soft!! And its blemish fighting!

Have you ever used a cream for your skin? Apparently that panoxyl stuff has finished. I also swore by that. That and Dianette was my ticket to clear skin!!!
    I just started Roaccutane yesterday. It's verrrry early days yet but so far so good. My dermatologist advised against moisturiser if possible though, I guess you should check with yours (or your GP) to see what's best for you. Please keep us informed! :)

I hope this works out for you Siog-Alainn. I was also thinking of taking Roaccutane but I do enjoy a few drinks with friends now and again and wasn't prepared to give that up unfortunately! I have heard and seen good results from these though and hope you do too.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Right, I'll bite the bullet here. What would be a good skincare routine for guys. No one has asked this and I dont think there's another thread dedicated to this.
    Of course it has to be geared towards problem skin. I've literally tried every product I could get my hands on over the counter. Even asked the 19 year old sister for help:o

Anyway the embarrassment of buying the products has long gone as I'm willing to try anything that will clear and keep at bay the acne. So, anyone?

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Right, I'll bite the bullet here. What would be a good skincare routine for guys. No one has asked this and I dont think there's another thread dedicated to this.
    Of course it has to be geared towards problem skin. I've literally tried every product I could get my hands on over the counter. Even asked the 19 year old sister for help:o

Anyway the embarrassment of buying the products has long gone as I'm willing to try anything that will clear and keep at bay the acne. So, anyone?

Hi,

Try the St Ives scrub! I dont know how this will work if your acne is very bad but i have crappy breakouts and it seemed to do some good! Only used it once though, you're not supposed to use it edat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Man, it's like a totally different group of people in here :P

Also rouacataine is the balls :D

Of course I will, starting soon. Why did she advise against moisturisers? I was told to ask a pharmacist, after about a week on it, to advise something.

Hopefully it works for you! Remember 60% of people never have to use anything ever again for acne after this Roaccutane.:D

Of course I will, starting soon. Why did she advise against moisturisers? I was told to ask a pharmacist, after about a week on it, to advise something.

Hopefully it works for you! Remember 60% of people never have to use anything ever again for acne after this Roaccutane.:D

I don't know why I was advised against, I think he feels that it's meant to dry up the skin and there's no need to moisturise to counteract that unless its excessive. I'll be asking the pharmacist if it gets bad though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mustangj

I had spots fairly bad on my face but its mostly cleared up now thank god ( a lorra lorra water!):D But just as they disapearred my neck has broken out in spots:( but is starting to improve ( its hard to describe). Will shaving with an electric shaver leave scarring? ( it doesnt seem to be cutting but i am a little worried) Its so unfair that my neck has broken out right when my face has cleared up after years! Talk about a kick in the sack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

mustangj wrote: »
    I had spots fairly bad on my face but its mostly cleared up now thank god ( a lorra lorra water!):D But just as they disapearred my neck has broken out in spots:( but is starting to improve ( its hard to describe). Will shaving with an electric shaver leave scarring? ( it doesnt seem to be cutting but i am a little worried) Its so unfair that my neck has broken out right when my face has cleared up after years! Talk about a kick in the sack!

Try a DE razor, lots about them on the shaving forum. It doesn't rip the ****e of your skin when shaving which is cool.:D

I'm three weeks on Roaccutane now. Lips are very dry but thankfully not cracking. Noticing my skin getting quite dry now too (a good sign!) but dermatologist has said to hold off on the moisturiser as much as possible. It's not sore or anything, just a bit unsightly. I've been increased to 30mg now so it's probably going to get worse (but better in long run!)

Have anyone else's dermatologists told them to hold off drink while on Roac? Mine didn't mention anything but I've heard of others who were told not to drink while on them.

I've been on Roaccutane 2 and a half weeks now. It is working but slowly...:) Very dry skin and lips, one morning I woke up with my lips bleeding! Nothing Vaseline won't fix though. I am on 30mg, that won't be changed untill the end of July, as that is my first appointment with the dermatologist since I started Roaccutane.

About the moisturising I wasn't told wether or not to use it, so I just use it in the morning after a shower, this is when my skin is at its driest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

When I was around 16 I tried two different antibiotics for my "moderate acne" but I seemed to build up a resistance to them, and the acne came back after both courses finished.

I started taking Dianette 6 months ago, and the improvement has been brilliant! My skin is far less oily and any spots I do get now tend to be isolated, happy days :D

Now I just wish that Dianette could clear up scarring!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Tried every pill, cream, ointment, lotion and potion! Being on a hormonal contraceptive(patch) had no effect on my skin.
    None worked.
    All I could do was drink 2-2.5L of water a day, cleanse tone & moisturise every night and hope to feic I grew outta the dreaded infliction.

Time doesn't head everything but it certainly worked for my acne.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

I was on Roaccutane for roughly a year or so, then put back on it about six months later for another six months due to a reflare. I was on an ever increasing dose that did dry out my skin, however the results were well worth it. I used to have massive cyst size spots all over my face and body that were painful and unsightly, but with time it all cleared up. I was told to use moisturiser for the dry skin and vaseline for the chapped lips. I ended up with pretty great skin so to those who are skeptical, it does work!

I would recommend sticking with it and don't read the BS posted on some hate forums towards the drug. If anyone wants any more info as to what to expect just drop me a message :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

i'm on Doxycycline at the moment but he said if this doesnt have any effect roaccutane is all i can try.....slightly nervous about going onto it

i'm on Doxycycline at the moment but he said if this doesnt have any effect roaccutane is all i can try.....slightly nervous about going onto it

I was really nervous going on Roac too, in fact I cried reading the instructions when I first got it, I was that scared :P but I've been on it a month today and I'm annoyed I didn't consider it sooner. I've seen a vast improvement in my skin even already. I haven't had a new spot in a while, my forehead which used to get quite oily during the day stays completely matte and I think even the red marks I have from previous spots have faded a bit. The only side affects I've noticed are dry lips (which are only dry, not cracking or bleeding) and slightly dry nostrils, neither of which bother me all that much.

My acne was quite mild in comparison to some but I've had it since I was 11, I'm now 20 and had pretty much tried every antibiotic and topical cream and the Pill but nothing worked so it was a last resort. Like I said though, I'm so glad I went with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I will be on Doxycycline (By-mycin 50mg) for 4 years come September. It honestly hasn't done a thing for me. Not saying it won't do anything for yourself as everyone is different and there are people on this thread who it has worked for.

Don't know why I'm still taking it. I'm probably immune at this stage, the doctor just keeps churning out those 6 month prescriptions. And still refuses to even acknowledge that I might try roaccutane. She must really have a bad experience from it previously. Think I might try another doctor soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Macca3000 wrote: »
    I will be on Doxycycline (By-mycin 50mg) for 4 years come September. It honestly hasn't done a thing for me. Not saying it won't do anything for yourself as everyone is different and there are people on this thread who it has worked for.

Don't know why I'm still taking it. I'm probably immune at this stage, the doctor just keeps churning out those 6 month prescriptions. And still refuses to even acknowledge that I might try roaccutane. She must really have a bad experience from it previously. Think I might try another doctor soon.

Ring up dermatologist. Try to make appointment.
    If they won't let you, (Explain your situation) then go to another doctor promptly, explain the length you've been on it and all the crap you've tried before that (presume you tried something, even topical) and ask for an dermtologist referral or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kamc

I'm 21 now and have been taking tablets for acne since I was about 17/18 years old. I've taken Bymycin, Minocin (which seemed more suited for curing STIs than acne) and I'm currently on my third treatment of Tetralycel. Tetralycel does a small bit of good but not enough to completely clear them. My face isn't bad at the moment but I find it very hard to clear my back - an awful lot of bruised marks are left behind. Plus it flares up once you end the treatment.

My GP seems content to let the acne run its course and hopefully I'll grow out of it. But my brother had worse acne than I do and he didn't send him to a dermatologist until he was 24 and he subsequentially got Roaccutane and it cleared perfectly.

Here's hoping I'll be finished this awful phase soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Dianette+Clinique Blemish system=Perfect skin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jariee

well,
    ive got pretty oily skin and i used dianette but got taken off it and now my skins a state and im after breaking out pretty horribly on my face.
    used to use panoxyl 10 cause 5 did nothing for me but now im after finding out its not on the market anymore!
    anyone know a good alternative????
    price isn't really an issue cause i really want my skin to clear up.....

After 6 weeks on Roaccutane I went back for a check up! My dosage was upped from 30mg to 70mg! So that should be good. She also gave me aload of moisturisers and prescibed me this cream called ointment H for crusty parts of my skin. I was told I should see a dramatic change in my acne in the next 2 months:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Dianette+Clinique Blemish system=Perfect skin :D

How do you find the Clinique blemish system? Is it worth the €68 price tag? my forehead has gotten really bad lately, it feels so rough with loads of small spots, I'm almost willing to fork out but I need to know it's worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

Just on the diet thing;
    I would be wary of fish.... even the cod liver tablets, the worse skin i ever had was after taking these for two days... so be careful!!
    and water seriously helps!!

savlon cream beats sudocrem! Also Dianette is much more effective than Yasmin in my opinion...

Advertisement