Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne Advice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Anyone use Silcock's Base?? I used it over a month long period and other people said my skin had cleared up but I couldn't see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Starting to use Cetaphil tonight! Will repost back any goods or bads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ryankmufc

NOTHING BEATS TEA TREE OIL FOR SPOTS...

LETHAL STUFF

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hmm I may be going mad, but I think the stress of the Leaving Cert results (maybe stress is the wrong word, but nerves?) has caused spots to appear, and I hardly ever get spots. Mainly on my chin, and my nose (I know, weird!). It's not that bad, and wouldn't be considered 'acne' but it's a tad unsightly.

What would be the best short-term treatment for them, as I would like them gone preferably for the debs, which is in 10 days? Maybe just washing my face regularly and drinking a lot of water? I don't normally use any special cream or tablets or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ryankmufc

Hmm I may be going mad, but I think the stress of the Leaving Cert results (maybe stress is the wrong word, but nerves?) has caused spots to appear, and I hardly ever get spots. Mainly on my chin, and my nose (I know, weird!). It's not that bad, and wouldn't be considered 'acne' but it's a tad unsightly.

What would be the best short-term treatment for them, as I would like them gone preferably for the debs, which is in 10 days? Maybe just washing my face regularly and drinking a lot of water? I don't normally use any special cream or tablets or anything.

Tea tree oil (dab it on the spots), Plenty of Water and cut down on the junk food.Will be gone within the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Erchelsmuurchel

Hi All

I had acne when i was younger, started on the dianette and a miracle - had clear skin for years! Then i had a bad migraine that affected my speech and sight and apparently migraines can be made worse depending on the pill so had to stop taking it - result was adult acne :(
    I am now on cerazette - only option left after tryin ALL others. No improvement so i went to the skin care side of things and have tried everything! Vichy is alright, wouldnt recommend aveeno or johnsons, clarins didnt do anything and clinque gave me a bad breakout! Have been on countless anti biotics and no difference can be seen. Lots of topical meds too - diferin is ok but benzoyl peroxide was great - side effect of the is a VERY oily t-zone!!!!! i meant it is shinny within ten mins and any makeup glistens and looks horrendous! i REALLY need help with this problem and having acne was bad but now it looks 'orrible :(

If you looking for a great makup anyone try the bare minerals starter kit - it is amazing, no bad side effects and the concealer covers all imperfection brilliantly - i look like i have normal skin! If i could get the oily part under control i would be estactic even though i would still have acne i could camflague it and maybe want to go out in public a bit more. All of this has left me depressed and withdrawn and my confidence has offically left the building.

Any advice would be GREATLY apprciated

Thanks a mill

Erchel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kristineh

Yes I found Sudacream good when I had light acne then after i turned 19 my skin got worse so i started taken medication and a new skin regime using Dermalogica products.. fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kristineh

Hi ya I had ur problem too sort of.. but i went to a beautican that sells Dermalogica products.. i went in their with a face as red as red and spots all over my face.. they did a Skin mapping and they started me on a new regime.. it works wonders.. I am also taking a tablet called Minocycline 100mg every day for the last year... Dermalogica products are natural with no colours or perfumes. visit a clinic that sells them and then buy ur products from KUDOS SKINCARE AND BEAUTY. KUDOS.IE.. let me know how u get on

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Laserhead

kamc wrote: »
    I'm 21 now and have been taking tablets for acne since I was about 17/18 years old. I've taken Bymycin, Minocin (which seemed more suited for curing STIs than acne) and I'm currently on my third treatment of Tetralycel. Tetralycel does a small bit of good but not enough to completely clear them. My face isn't bad at the moment but I find it very hard to clear my back - an awful lot of bruised marks are left behind. Plus it flares up once you end the treatment.

My GP seems content to let the acne run its course and hopefully I'll grow out of it. But my brother had worse acne than I do and he didn't send him to a dermatologist until he was 24 and he subsequentially got Roaccutane and it cleared perfectly.

Here's hoping I'll be finished this awful phase soon!
    I'm on my second month of Tetralysel, it seems to get rid of them for a while, but they come back with a vengeance if I forget to take them for even a few days. They're bloody expensive too! My brother spent years battling his acne, which was far worse than mine, he eventually went on Roacutane in his second year of college. He had all the usual symptoms, very dry skin and eyes; a fair bit of depression but it cleared up his acne for good, so he was thrilled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Have tried Tetralsyl, Bymycin, Panoxyl 5 and 10, Weleda natural products, Udos Oil in food, exfoliators and no joy! Doctor put me on Dianette yesterday, so hopefully that will do some good! Won't know for around 5 months though :( My acne is only on my back, only get the odd spot on my face.

EDIT: I also did the Cetaphil, it worked for me for a while, defo give it a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

A word on my experience of Roaccutane.

I had moderate to bad acne all through my teens and into my 20's. I tried a lot of topical prescription drugs over those years but none ever worked. By the time I got to my mid-20's the acne was still a problem. It wasn't really bad, but it was pretty damn bad, it was persistent and it was ugly. More than enough to harm my confidence and make me feel miserable going out or even going into work. I was 100% certain bad skin - and all the horrible negative crap that goes with it - would be with me for life.

Eventually I decided to give Roac a go. The dermatologist put me on it straight away, which confirmed to me it wasn't my imagination that my skin was bad! IIRC I started on a medium dose for whatever the standard period is (3 months I think? I can't remember exactly because it was a few years ago now, but it was the standard time period). There was some improvement in my skin after that dose, but not a huge amount. I was gutted. But the doc just told me to keep going and I did another term on a higher dose. I think in total I may have been on it for 6 or 9 months. Again, I can't remember exactly, but something like that. 2 or 3 courses I guess.

The only side effect I really remember in that time was dry lips. Being in my mid-late 20's at the time, I felt I was mature enough to keep an eye on the depression thing so that wasn't an issue for me.

Anyway, by the end of the full course my skin was totally clear. I simply could not believe it. But here's the thing....every morning for weeks (maybe months!) I'd go to the mirror in the morning certain that the acne would be back. I was convinced that once the drug had "worn off" the spots would come back. But as the weeks and months went on I realised that the spots weren't coming back. It was as though the drug had killed something inside me that was producing the acne.

Upshot, it was a miracle for me and I have been immeasurably happier ever since. I am absolutely NOT recommending this to teenagers with normal teenage skin because a) most of you just need to grow out of it and not go on super-strong prescription drugs and, b) I would be very concerned about the depression thing in younger people. But for people in the 20's and beyond who can assess their own emotional state I would urge you to book an appointment with the dermatologist and get on Roac. I have no problem calling it a miracle drug for me and hopefully for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 R.M.

anyone know how long it takes for dianette to work?? i've just finished my 3rd month and still not much of a difference. i've also tried teteraysal and minocycline (if thats what there called). found a slight difference but thaught i'd give dianette a go. still have spots on my face and back :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

R.M. wrote: »
    anyone know how long it takes for dianette to work?? i've just finished my 3rd month and still not much of a difference. i've also tried teteraysal and minocycline (if thats what there called). found a slight difference but thaught i'd give dianette a go. still have spots on my face and back :(

My doctor said it takes around 5 months to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

R.M. wrote: »

Hi I started Dianette about 6 months ago and after about 3 months I felt the same. I didn't really see any difference.

At around 5 months my spots started clearing.
    I'm on the end of my 6th month now and I have no spots at all!! Just some small scars but they're slowly going.

Hope you get good results with it, you might just need to wait a while longer to see if it works.

Good Luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 allrighty

CLINIQUE 3 STEP ANTI BLEMISH!!! AMAZING STUFF!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Liz Earle is nice, i just bought their 3 step package on Aer Lingus last week for €26.

Got 3 50 ml bottles and a cloth. The face wash you massage in and then use the cloth (after running it under hot water).

Next the toner followed my moisturiser.

Like I said i only got it last week, but its organic, natural and not harsh like other products.

Ive been getting hormonal acne (at 29) and in the 1st step I crush a non coated aspirin in my hand (with some water), put it on my face and then proceed with the Liz Earle face wash and cloth.

I recommend Aspirin too!!! No need to fork out an arm and leg for creams containing "sacliylic acid"....just use aspirin and even better if you buy it from the US with website such as drugstore.com

Aspirin is anti inflamatory and will bring down the redness, kills bacteria and since your rubbing the granules on your face it also exfoliates and removes dead skin cells.

Im also back on Yasmin...i found both Yasmin and Diannette worked...

I did take about 3 courses of Roaccutane and it was miracle drug. Fair enough i still get spots, but I was left with alot of scaring which I should have started medication alot sooner in my teens, but waited til my 1st year/2nd year in college. In fact it was extremely bad in 1st year college and took about 1 year to try various tablets and waiting list for dermo clinic in hospital that it was mid way into my 2nd year that i managed to get onto Roaccutane. Brillant stuff. Sometimes my skin clears up so much i stop taking the pill....and then i remember why i need to take it. But now I just need the pill to clear up the 1 or 2 cystic spots i get around my period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

When your taking these tablets can you drink? I remember something about them being an anti-biotic?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

theowen wrote: »
    When your taking these tablets can you drink? I remember something about them being an anti-biotic?

Strictly speaking you should reduce your alcohol intake or stop completley. Personally my alcohol intake has probarly incresed while on it, and caused me no problems. My dermatologist has told me not to take much notice of the alcohol warning though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Yes your not meant to drink well taking these tablets as they are extremely harsh on your liver. That combined with alcohol (also effects the liver) is going to give your body a bathering. So ideally its better not to drink (or have 1 or 2 max on night out) for the good of your own health and future years. Not to mention if you need a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th course of Roaccutane it will not be the most healthy of things for your liver and for that reason, its better to stop drinking.

Cian92 wrote: »
    Strictly speaking you should reduce your alcohol intake or stop completley. Personally my alcohol intake has probarly incresed while on it, and caused me no problems. My dermatologist has told me not to take much notice of the alcohol warning though...
    Gonna ask my doc for his advice then:rolleyes:
    Yes your not meant to drink well taking these tablets as they are extremely harsh on your liver. That combined with alcohol (also effects the liver) is going to give your body a bathering. So ideally its better not to drink (or have 1 or 2 max on night out) for the good of your own health and future years. Not to mention if you need a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th course of Roaccutane it will not be the most healthy of things for your liver and for that reason, its better to stop drinking.
    Ah that's a let down, I was really hoping I'd dreamed it up somewhere:(:p I'd actually been on them when I was 15-16 and was drinking 4-6 cans of awfully cheap cider every friday and saturday. Sorry liver...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Gonna ask my doc for his advice then:rolleyes:

Ah that's a let down, I was really hoping I'd dreamed it up somewhere:(:p I'd actually been on them when I was 15-16 and was drinking 4-6 cans of awfully cheap cider every friday and saturday. Sorry liver...

you'll be going in for the blood tests every month...if they're elevated/above normal you'll probaly be made to take a break from the tablets for a month or a few until your levels go back to normal...

a couple of drinks here and there shouldn't affect it...unless you already have a weak liver...in which case the blood tests will probaly be elevated anyway. (due to the tablets)

binge drinking or drinking every night wouldn't be too good too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 wiki

Hey I'm just wondering does anyone know of an alternative contraception pill to dianette which has the same effect of treating acne?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hi Wiki, we have an an acne advice thread you may find some useful information in, there is also a thread in the Ladies Lounge which has loads of contraception information (so may give you info on other pills and acne, even if you're not using them for contraception) even though I see you've already [osted on the forum. I'm just going to move this post on over to the acne advice thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Piste wrote: »
    Hi Wiki, we have an an acne advice thread you may find some useful information in, there is also a thread in the Ladies Lounge which has loads of contraception information (so may give you info on other pills and acne, even if you're not using them for contraception) even though I see you've already [osted on the forum. I'm just going to move this post on over to the acne advice thread.

The Pill can be brilliant, I was on it for a month earlier in the year for other medical reasons and the improvement in my skin even in that period of time was astounding.

Had to come off it though (not just the type of pill, but hormonal contraceptives in general) and my skin is worse than it ever was now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Anyone recommend a good face wash to clear up blackheads and avoid oilyness?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I've started using the Clinique 3 Step anti-blemish system. The facial wash is a mousse that cleans really well without over-drying your skin. Great stuff.

Piste wrote: »
    I've started using the Clinique 3 Step anti-blemish system. The facial wash is a mousse that cleans really well without over-drying your skin. Great stuff.
    Is it effortful? Three steps seems like 2 steps too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

In the last month or so mine has gotten much worse. There is constantly loads on my jawline, even though I am using Oxy twice a day and applying spot-treatments everyday. Might go to the doctor about it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I swear by this, really good.

st-ives-apricot-scrub.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

acne.org helped me no end. Like most acne topical treatments it's a 3 step thing however the brands don't matter and the cheapest will do.
    Basically use cheap sensitive face wash followed 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (as found in Panoxyl, Quinoderm and most of yis will know Oxy) and when that's dried in, a decent moisturiser.
    I've had acne since I was 8 (now 23) and now I only get pimples when i'm hormonal or really really stressed. It's the first time in a decade and a half that I haven't been ashamed of my face!!

Advertisement