Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne Advice Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

My skin is tempermental. I remember in early teens I was using this scrub and that face wash and these pore cleansers etc.

Then start using Panoxyl, then on to some roll on thingy that the doctor gave me. It smelled like paint stripper and made my eyes water when I rolled it on to my skin. God did it burn!

Then I was given vibramycin/bimycin(sp?). Then went to a dermatologist in Beaumont and she gave me medication that I took an allergic reaction to so I gave up.

Just settled in to a routine of wash 2 - 3 times a day with nothing but water, don't shave if I have a break out and after shaving don't use after shave but use sensitive after shave balm.

During the day I'f I'm sweaty or my skin is oily I'll just wipe away the excess oil with tissue and then throw some cold water on to close the pores.

Working out so far. I've had a bit of a chesty cold the last week and been using Vaporub on my chest and whatever minute open pores or breakout I had there, have gone!

So, water, tissue, sensitive balms & moisturisers and Vaporub. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 emperorofhell

Hey everyone

I wondering if any of you have any tips on getting rid of spots quickly. Reason being my debs is in 2 weeks and I don't want to look like a tomato in the pictures. I'm literally open to any suggestions whatsoever.

Cheers

Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Memberators, mount up!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055440970

That's the acne advice thread, it covers a myriad of pimply problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭.Conor.

I use Tepezcohuite soap, its a Mexican tree bark that you use a soap, I also use it with a microfibre sponge and aloe vera. Is pretty magical!

I bhought it from here (really cheap): http://www.tepezcohuite.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

Been on Roaccutane now for 4 months. I started on 20mg and have increased 10mg each month but I'm on 50mg now and finding it a bit harsh. My back and neck can get really stiff, my eyes are dry and bloodshot and I've been getting a lot of headaches. Whilst it's manageable, I'm looking forward to getting off them! My skin is looking great though, haven't had any spots in 3 months and the marks are fading well :)

• Advertisement

What kind of spots? White heads, black heads, red bumps under the skin?

Drink plenty of water, use moisturising shower gels. Wash your face with dove or silcocks base. Pat dry with the towel, don't scrub the hell out of it reciting Macbeth with "Out, damned spot."

Buy a small tube or something of E45 for when your face feels dry during the day and keep a couple tissues to hand for when it feels oily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 emperorofhell

Went to the doc today and got some cream called Duac and a 2 month course of tablets, but I cant remember the name of those.

With a bit of luck it'll work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Went to the doc today and got some cream called Duac and a 2 month course of tablets, but I cant remember the name of those.

With a bit of luck it'll work

I use that, it's good stuff, gotta give it time though.

And I think there's bleach in it, so prepare for some dodgy looking white stains on your pillows...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I've started getting spots on my chin a day or two before that time of the month. The crap this is, by the time the spots have started to disappear, it's almost that time of the month again.

Also it's annoying the way I can be really good at cleansing/toning/moisturising for ages, but it just takes one late night coming home and going straight to bed without taking off my makeup for my skin to go all horrible again.

Piste wrote: »
    I've started getting spots on my chin a day or two before that time of the month. The crap this is, by the time the spots have started to disappear, it's almost that time of the month again.

Also it's annoying the way I can be really good at cleansing/toning/moisturising for ages, but it just takes one late night coming home and going straight to bed without taking off my makeup for my skin to go all horrible again.
    If you've a boyfriend our stubble tends to irritate ye there when we're givin' you kisses and gettin' coodies in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Anyone know some place I can buy panoxyl? I've been buying it online since it is no longer available in Ireland, but the website I was gettin it from is gone now too. Any ideas?

Anyone know some place I can buy panoxyl? I've been buying it online since it is no longer available in Ireland, but the website I was gettin it from is gone now too. Any ideas?
    Gone since when? :confused:

I think duac does just the same thing if you can get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Bonito wrote: »
    Gone since when? :confused:

I think duac does just the same thing if you can get that.

As far as I know Panoxyl has been discontinued in Ireland some time ago? I've tried lots of pharmacys and none have it, one of them told me that the product has been discontinued?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 trickywitch

As a former acne sufferer I just have to recommend the following:
    1. Silicol Skin GEL by Saguna
    It's available in a good few health stores and on ebay. A relatively inexpensive natural product that actually works. It's a clear gel - put it on at night time and rub in to the affected areas. You'll feel it tighten up. When it dries it goes white like a face mask. Wash it off in the morning. I recommend this to everyone.
    2. Daily Resurfacing Wipes by Dermalogica
    Quite pricey but again worked for me. Anything containing the effective amounts of salicylic or glycolic acid would do the same.
    3. For females - 2000mg of Evening Primrose Oil daily worked wonders hormonal skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Johnaldinioh

Just wondering if you can get rouacutane (sorry about spelling) when on a medical card?? I know you cant get dermatologist visit on it but might be able to get the tablets. Thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Johnaldinioh

Just wondering if you can get rouacutane (sorry about spelling) when on a medical card?? I know you cant get dermatologist visit on it but might be able to get the tablets. Thanks all

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's a question you should ask your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 CosmicPoison

Clearisil is awful stuff, got a terrible reaction to it a few years back :S

I cleanse my face with Witch hazel. I got it in the chemist, but you might be able to get it in Boots or something. Its natural, and leaves the skin feeling fresh and clean. Im on antibiotic cream too, so this prevents my skin from drying out.

Also found this stick thingy in boots. Contains Witch Hazel and Tea Tree, and does wonders for the odd spot that needs covering up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Joseph Lewis

Hi guys, great posts here.

I find that moisturising my face and washing it before I go to bed really helps my skin. You should consult a GP should you have any worries about allergies.

Sometimes it can even be down to diet so I would advise anyone to consult with their GP to get a professional opinion if you are unsure.

Have any of you changed your diet due to skin irritation?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

have an appointment with a dermatologist next week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I started Roaccutane today to try prevent any further acne scarring on my face. It's going to be a long six months.

ohthebaby wrote: »
    I started Roaccutane today to try prevent any further acne scarring on my face. It's going to be a long six months.
    Is that the one you've to sign saying that you wont get pregnant while on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

My acne was really bad about 2 months ago, especially on my forehead and chin area. I started using this :
    nivea-men-sens-moist-main.jpg
    and then moisturising with 100% aloe vera moisturiser (bought over in Lanzarote - no pics unfortunately).

My acne's cleared immensely, haven't had a white head in over two weeks (used to get a few, daily)

Yeah it is. Fun times.

Not that I have any intention of getting pregnant, that is.

also got me a prescription of roaccutane, ben ice to get this **** sorted

So I'm nearly on Roaccutane a week now. All I will say is that it's one hardcore drug. I'm on a fairly high daily dosage of it but I didn't think all the side effects would have kicked in so quickly. My face is a lot redder than usual and very dry. I've come out in pimples and I never get pimples. My lips are peeling very badly and my hair has gone all dry and mad. It's not very nice because I know it's all going to get worse. I don't have great self confidence at the best of times so all this isn't really going to help. I know it'll be all hopefully ok at the end but right now it's not so great.

So I'm nearly on Roaccutane a week now. All I will say is that it's one hardcore drug. I'm on a fairly high daily dosage of it but I didn't think all the side effects would have kicked in so quickly. My face is a lot redder than usual and very dry. I've come out in pimples and I never get pimples. My lips are peeling very badly and my hair has gone all dry and mad. It's not very nice because I know it's all going to get worse. I don't have great self confidence at the best of times so all this isn't really going to help. I know it'll be all hopefully ok at the end but right now it's not so great.

what dose are you on? keep on truckin'! it'll get worse before it gets better!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Finally got to see a dermatologist today. I will be starting roaccutane in the next 2 weeks. Looking forward to finally being rid of the spots but after last few comments I'm a little bit anxious about all the side effects. Like ohthebaby said I havn't got the best levels of self confidence. Can see myself skipping a lot of lectures if it gets a whole lot worse.

what dose are you on? keep on truckin'! it'll get worse before it gets better!

I'm on 20mg a day. Well maybe that's not high but it's four times what other people I know started on.
    Macca3000 wrote: »
    Finally got to see a dermatologist today. I will be starting roaccutane in the next 2 weeks. Looking forward to finally being rid of the spots but after last few comments I'm a little bit anxious about all the side effects. Like ohthebaby said I havn't got the best levels of self confidence. Can see myself skipping a lot of lectures if it gets a whole lot worse.

Hey sorry if I scared you! Don't worry, I know a few people who were on it. Some had a bad time, some had a not so bad time. I think everybody's just different. Try not to skip your lectures over this. I don't know if you're a girl or not but I mean you're still able to wear make up with it. Even if you're not a girl you could look into some sort of concealer or something if you felt the need to. Hopefully we won't be too bad. And we'll have nice skin at the end of it. :)

• Advertisement

I'm on 20mg a day. Well maybe that's not high but it's four times what other people I know started on.

Hey sorry if I scared you! Don't worry, I know a few people who were on it. Some had a bad time, some had a not so bad time. I think everybody's just different. Try not to skip your lectures over this. I don't know if you're a girl or not but I mean you're still able to wear make up with it. Even if you're not a girl you could look into some sort of concealer or something if you felt the need to. Hopefully we won't be too bad. And we'll have nice skin at the end of it. :)

christ.....i'm to start with 30mg and then finish on 70mg :O

Advertisement