Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne Advice Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 caavan shooter

well im just on this and i have just started reading peoples comments.
    i am 19 and i went on roaccutane just under a year ago,,i didnt like my skin at all and i would have did anything and roaccutane was my last option.

I was on a 6 month treatment of roaccutane and i am now finished it around 4 months. I could say the drug was 90% successful but in the last couple of months i think my skin (my face/chin area) has started to get slightly bad again,,has anyone any advise on that for me?????????? facewash etc.....?

Secondly,,i must say i really really really regret ever going on roaccutane. I was a normal lad geting on the best,,going out etc and evrything has changed severley. I am seeing a pschyarist for 7 weeks now and on a range of different antidepressents and suffering severe depression,didnt even make it back to college in dublin and im sorry to say it but it was roaccutane. has many people ever experienced this??or have any advise??

I know everybody hates having bad skin and roaccutance does of course help your skin but if any1 ever asked me about roaccutance,,no matter how bad their skin was i would try my best to thoroughly advise them not to take roacctuance ever.

would like to hear someones opinion or advise?feel like em desperate.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Secondly,,i must say i really really really regret ever going on roaccutane. I was a normal lad geting on the best,,going out etc and evrything has changed severley. I am seeing a pschyarist for 7 weeks now and on a range of different antidepressents and suffering severe depression,didnt even make it back to college in dublin and im sorry to say it but it was roaccutane. has many people ever experienced this??or have any advise??

I know everybody hates having bad skin and roaccutance does of course help your skin but if any1 ever asked me about roaccutance,,no matter how bad their skin was i would try my best to thoroughly advise them not to take roacctuance ever.

would like to hear someones opinion or advise?feel like em desperate.. :(

Hmmm, that doesn't sound good. But I'm already down in myself and don't go out much because of how I am now. I have genuinely tried so many anti biotics, face washes, spot creams and anything I could get my hands on. This is last resort but one I'm more than willing to take. Like said in other posts I'm not the most confident of lads and if side effects get me bad it will probably dent the ego a bit more but the long term outcome will hopefully trump that. And it's only 6 months. I've had acne for 13 years.

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Hmmm, that doesn't sound good. But I'm already down in myself and don't go out much because of how I am now. I have genuinely tried so many anti biotics, face washes, spot creams and anything I could get my hands on. This is last resort but one I'm more than willing to take. Like said in other posts I'm not the most confident of lads and if side effects get me bad it will probably dent the ego a bit more but the long term outcome will hopefully trump that. And it's only 6 months. I've had acne for 13 years.

yaa but in relation to any bad side effects i dont think they start unitl your finished. but by all means be confident about raccutane im just saying my experience of it,but by reading most peoples comments here on the issue,it seems to be pretty effective and not much sideeffects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JAndrews

Hey guys,

I'm new to this thread. I've had moderate acne for the last nine months. Went to the doc last month and was put on duac cream, with no luck.

Today i was started on a 2month course of
    -Tetralysal tablets &
    -Quinoderm cream.

Anyone have any past experience with these? ..
    I shall keep ye posted on the hopeful results!

JAndrews wrote: »

-Tetralysal tablets &
    -Quinoderm cream.

Careful with Quinoderm. It burns a lot when you put it on. And I was only using small amount. I was on Doxycycline (By-mycin) for 4 years with no luck. Starting roaccutane next week.

Hopefully it will work out for you. The main thing I have taken from this thread is that there isn't one miracle cure for all unfortunately. You could find Tetralysal works great for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

JAndrews wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm new to this thread. I've had moderate acne for the last nine months. Went to the doc last month and was put on duac cream, with no luck.

-Tetralysal tablets &
    -Quinoderm cream.

I'm on Tetralysal, and they're grand. The only thing is, make sure you have plenty of water with the tablet. It's happened a few times that I've actually tasted it disolving in my stomach, and it's awful.

Hope it goes okay for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

hey guys tried getting a tube of panoxyl in the chemist in the mill clondalkin and the girl told me that its gone off the market is this true if not were can i buy some?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Steve!

I've an appointment with a dermatologist in 2012. I'm looking forward to it!

Does anyone know how much Roaccutane costs per month?
    Cheers.

Steve! wrote: »

Cheers.

think mine was 120 euro a month or somethn like that

Steve! wrote: »

Cheers.

I know the feeling. I got my appointment for April 2012. That's why I decided enough was enough and forked up the cash to go private. I waited just two weeks. 140 euro first appointment and 90 for follow ups. In 6 months it will hopefully all be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 moondrizzle

Water is the cure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

To someone who has suffered from acne I'd say there nothing more frustrating that people saying 'Oh just drink more water' or 'you just need to get a routine that suits your skin' or 'you'll grow out of it'. I'm fairly sure anyone who has bad acne has tried all the usual methods and all the old wives tales type things and hasn't had any luck.

I don't have bad acne, I get hormonal spots around my chin but I can only imagine how annoying it would be to hear people spout the same crap over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

To someone who has suffered from acne I'd say there nothing more frustrating that people saying 'Oh just drink more water' or 'you just need to get a routine that suits your skin' or 'you'll grow out of it'. I'm fairly sure anyone who has bad acne has tried all the usual methods and all the old wives tales type things and hasn't had any luck.

I don't have bad acne, I get hormonal spots around my chin but I can only imagine how annoying it would be to hear people spout the same crap over and over again.

agree with you on that one while water really does help quite a bit, theres some cases where it's simply not going to sort its self out, i thought i'd grow out of it by now, (i'm 21) also it's supposedly genetic too....

started taking my roaccutane today, elts hope all goes well!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Keep us posted every so often RC. A good friend of mine got great results from roaccutane a few years ago, so I hope it helps you out as well.

started taking my roaccutane today, elts hope all goes well!

One day behind you. I started today. What are you starting on? I'm on 40mg. Next couple of months will be very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Joseph Lewis

Acne is a very common problem and can effect many people in their lives.

I have had acne my whole life and can really sympathise with many of the people on these boards. I would reccomend that you speak with a qualified medical professional who will most probably advise you on diet, may suggest creams etc. I had a chemical peel as my skin was very damaged.

Have any of you thought about surgery?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Steve!

What kind of surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I've been on Roaccutane two or three weeks now. It's going well so far. I have come out in a lot of spots but apparently that's meant to happen. I don't really mind them only they're a bit sore which isn't nice. It's drying my skin up a good bit which is problematic as I wear make up everyday and such dry skin makes my foundation look really, really bad. My lips too are really dry and sore but there's some great stuff out there for moisturising them - I use a lip balm by La Roche-Posay, it is amazing. I really can't go anywhere without it these days. Otherwise, so far so good! My sister and best friend went through all this and their skin is lovely so I'm going to keep the faith.

Good luck to everybody else starting on this, it'll be interesting to compare our time on Roaccutane!

Macca3000 wrote: »
    One day behind you. I started today. What are you starting on? I'm on 40mg. Next couple of months will be very interesting.

30mg a day for the first stage, then bumped to 70mg a day for the second half of the treatment.

been using that norwegian formula lip balm stuff the last few days to keep my lips as moist as possible but I can already feel em drying out slightly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I was on 30mg for first month and on 70mg from there on in. Im on it now for nearly 5 months, I don't know how long I will still be on it for. It has worked wonders! Recently people keep telling me how much my skin has improved. :)

Side effects can be severe though, the dry skin and lips. I use Oilatum natural face repair moisturiser, as I think it is the best. Unfortuneately when I go to bed the vaseline won't last the whole night and I wake up with bleeding lips. :( I solved this problem by buying Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream on my lips, expensive at €30 but worth it.

Anyother dry spots not on my face (eg my arms get dry) I put on some cheap nivea moisturiser.

Probarly not much use for ye at the moment but when it is sunny, put on sun cream! I was like a lombster one day as I didn't realise it makes you more sensitive to sun.

It definitley "heightens your emotions" but I didn't realise this untill I was upped to 70mg, just watch out for it. When I didn't get this side effect originally I didn't think I would get it at all...

Overall I would say it is a miracle drug, be careful on it. I don't think I will be on it for too long more, maybe 3 months max... I will be glad to get off it, but I think it was a great descion to go on it :D

we are like a little boards experiment!

Cian92 wrote: »
    I was on 30mg for first month and on 70mg from there on in. Im on it now for nearly 5 months, I don't know how long I will still be on it for. It has worked wonders! Recently people keep telling me how much my skin has improved. :)

Side effects can be severe though, the dry skin and lips. I use Oilatum natural face repair moisturiser, as I think it is the best. Unfortuneately when I go to bed the vaseline won't last the whole night and I wake up with bleeding lips. :( I solved this problem by buying Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream on my lips, expensive at €30 but worth it.

Anyother dry spots not on my face (eg my arms get dry) I put on some cheap nivea moisturiser.

Probarly not much use for ye at the moment but when it is sunny, put on sun cream! I was like a lombster one day as I didn't realise it makes you more sensitive to sun.

It definitley "heightens your emotions" but I didn't realise this untill I was upped to 70mg, just watch out for it. When I didn't get this side effect originally I didn't think I would get it at all...

Overall I would say it is a miracle drug, be careful on it. I don't think I will be on it for too long more, maybe 3 months max... I will be glad to get off it, but I think it was a great descion to go on it :D

I was away for a few days and left my lip balm at home. Luckily I had some Eight Hour cream in my bag. I was just going to come on here to recommend it, it's amazing for dry lips. Good luck with the rest of your treatment, sounds like you've done amazingly on it!

ohthebaby wrote: »
    I was away for a few days and left my lip balm at home. Luckily I had some Eight Hour cream in my bag. I was just going to come on here to recommend it, it's amazing for dry lips. Good luck with the rest of your treatment, sounds like you've done amazingly on it!

where can you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

I started on Roaccutane around the same time as Cian92 and have really found it amazing. I started on 20mg, increased to 30 after a month, 40 after another month, then 50. I've been on 50mg for nearly 3 months now, it hasn't been increased cause that's when the more serious side effects kicked in.

When I say more serious side effects, I mean stiff joints and pretty persistent headaches. I'd notice pain in my neck and down my back if I was standing up for a few hours or carrying a heavy bag for a while. I don't notice it so much now but it was quite bad when I started on 50mg in September. Same with the headaches, I'd have 2 or maybe 3 a week. Again quite bad, I'd have to take painkillers or try sleep it off. They're not as bad now but I'd still probably have one a week (I used to get headaches before Roac too so that could have some bearing on it.)

Other less severe side effects
    - dry lips, for which I use vaseline. Have to apply it quite often but it's cheap and works for me.
    - the corners of my lips were cracked and split for a while, I used Fucidin H which was prescribed by my dermatologist, might not be available over the counter. It worked and haven't had them since.
    - my eyes can get quite dry (sometimes waking up feeling as if my eye lids are stuck to my eye, not very pleasant!) but I've used Optrex a few times and it's manageable.
    - dry skin generally, my hands are sometimes dry and red but a bit of e45 was fine for them. I have dry skin on my cheeks and around my skin but my dermatologist still tells me I shouldn't be using moisturiser so I just use a small bit when necessary

I know it might seem like a lot but it's not all that bad. I haven't suffered any mood swings or felt down in myself since using it. Like Cian, I'm looking forward to getting off it, not because the side effects are getting too much but because I haven't had a new spot in 4 or 5 months and I'm really happy with my skin as it is :D But you need to complete your required course and I'm only a month or two away from that!

Best of luck to Roomic Cube, Macca3000 and ohthebaby on it, hopefully you'll get the results you want!

where can you buy it?

It's Elizabeth Arden which is a fancy make up brand. So any pharmacy that has an Elizabeth Arden counter would have it. Or Brown Thomas, Debenhams and the like usually have one of their counters too. It's expensive but oh so good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Article on roaccutance from the BBC 12-Nov-2010
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11734080
    "Acne drug not found to increase suicide risk"

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

"Perhaps their most interesting and novel finding is that the risk of suicide is increased AFTER treatment has stopped and therefore it is essential to continue to monitor patients carefully."

That is worrying...

ohthebaby wrote: »
    It's Elizabeth Arden which is a fancy make up brand. So any pharmacy that has an Elizabeth Arden counter would have it. Or Brown Thomas, Debenhams and the like usually have one of their counters too. It's expensive but oh so good. :)

I work in debenhams, so that'll come in handy.....DISCOUNT!

• Advertisement

My hair has stopped getting greasy. For somebody who has had to wash their hair everyday for the past eight years, this is nothing short of a miracle. Although sore spots on my face are kind of making up for that... :(

Advertisement