Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne Advice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Shiner11

I'm in my early 20s and still getting fairly bad spots on my face. I eat reasonbly well like trying to balance out eating ****e food with the same amount of fruit and veg but still my face is shockin. After a night out on the beer i look terrible the next day. I drink water like a fish aswell between sessions but it does fock all really.

Anyone know any tricks to help with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Take a look here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Acid?

I'm a bit of a pizza face and I find "Simple" brand face wash and distilled witch hazel does the job.

If you're a female then going on the pill can help a lot.

Avoid clearasil and any other sh1te that's full of chemicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Shiner11 wrote: »
    I'm in my early 20s and still getting fairly bad spots on my face. I eat reasonbly well like trying to balance out eating ****e food with the same amount of fruit and veg but still my face is shockin. After a night out on the beer i look terrible the next day. I drink water like a fish aswell between sessions but it does fock all really.

Anyone know any tricks to help with it?

Best trick I can think of now is move this out of after hours before you get spotted.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Avoid beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Sometimes no matter what you eat, it just won't budge. I'd recommend heading to see a doctor too- my brother had the same problem, and he got some roll on thing which was pretty strong, and it really cleared it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

you can get tablets from the doctor.you would have to stop the beer though while taking them which i personally think its worth it.Try using neutrogena facial washes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Hi all you people from Clearasil and Hormones. We're from After Hours and we're here to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Put on a mask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Go to acne.org, fantastic site, their products really work for me and I'm 28

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Go to your GP who'd most likely put you on Tetralysil for a while, or go to a Dermotologist to get it checked out so they could see what's causing the acne.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I had a problem with spots when i were younger. Washing with warm salt water and dabbing dry really cleared it up and fast too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Got them moderate 17-24 or 5.
    Only get them now when I eat crap.

I was told to drink hot water or caffine free teas. wash face with hot water only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Try and avoid drinking milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I have Acne, was put on Tetralysal for 6 months and it really didnt do any good, just finished them and I still have spots, its ridiculous. Now they aren't as bad as they used to be a few years ago, but had to go back on the pill to try and clear them up again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Recently qualified cidesco beauty therapist!

Wash your face twice daily using a cleanser suitable for you skin.
    Depending on your skin type, exfoliate about 2-3 per week.
    Use a mask (deep cleansing in your case, kaolin based mask) once per week. Using kaolin, avoid on sensitive areas.
    Moisturise using a cream suitable.

Avoid saturated fats. Ensure you get your 5 fruit and veg a day, ensure you get at least two portions of protien, at least 1 litre of water but aim for two. 2 portions of dairy and most importantly - make sure the products you use are suitable for your skin type

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Recently qualified cidesco beauty therapist!

Wash your face twice daily using a cleanser suitable for you skin.
    Depending on your skin type, exfoliate about 2-3 per week.
    Use a mask (deep cleansing in your case, kaolin based mask) once per week. Using kaolin, avoid on sensitive areas.
    Moisturise using a cream suitable.

Avoid saturated fats. Ensure you get your 5 fruit and veg a day, ensure you get at least two portions of protien, at least 1 litre of water but aim for two. 2 portions of dairy and most importantly - make sure the products you use are suitable for your skin type

You'd know you were only recently qualified :) I'm not being offending, I sounded like that too when I qualified.

Although you know what is absolutely fantastic for spots. Direct High Frequency. It is a machine that sparks the spots and this in turn creates ozone which has a mild antiseptic drying effect. When I was in college I was constantly using this machine on myself. Best machine ever.

I'm sure a lot of places do it with a facial OP, I'd seriously look into it if you don't want to go down the tablet road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Where on your face is most of the acne located?

Acne on the forehead indicates that you aren't getting enough water. Acne on the cheeks is usually associated with stress. Acne around the jawline is hormonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Putting a clean towel over my pillow case worked for me. Stops the oil on your face and your hair from spreading over your pillow case thus helping to prevent spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Yarrrrrrrr but everybody should b doing that anyway!! ;)

It bugs me mighty (even before I did the course) that people assume cleaning their face with a babywipe/facewipe was adaquete.

Oh lord! Maybe it was jealousy, because if I did it, you could be guaranteed I'd be going round with a blotchy face and a mountain of spots. :D

Off topic for sure - but this one time I was sold this AHA exfoliator. Told to use it twice a week. Knew no better, used it. Broke out all over my face. Next facial I had, the beauty therapist I went to told me that it was just impurities being drawn out of my skin? Fair enough. Kept using it. As my skin got worse, I was sure to use it at least twice a week. By now my chin an Jawline was red raw.

Had a facial in a different salon - therapist was horrified I was using an AHA twice a week - told me to stop immediately. I did and my skin cleared up in no time at all.

Bitch therapist 1 had me spend an obscene amount of money on an exfoliator that was far too harsh. Needless to say I never went back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OP just got to a doctor, when I was younger I got spots like any normal person, but once they flared up really bad. I tried everything, eating healthy, drinking lots of water and every clearasil etc thing there was. Eventually I went to the doctor, he gave me a simple cream and they cleared up in no time. I put it off for so long and was p1ssed at myself for not just going in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH->CH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm 18 but still have spots...I thought they were supposed to clear up near the end of puberty?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Thread cleaned up and merged with Acne Advice.

Kateos2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'm 18 but still have spots...I thought they were supposed to clear up near the end of puberty?

They're not just puberty induced though. It can be related to hormones, stress, or genes, all of which we are subject to no matter what age we are.

My mum's in her early 40s and she has acne, whereas I'm 18 and mine is pretty much gone. I was lucky I took after my dad's family. My mum has 4 brothers and they all have some mild acne too, despite being in their 30s. There's no magic age where spots just cease to appear.

I was on antibiotics for the last ~2 years, tetralysal I think. I came off them at the end of May and my skin is grand, so happy enough with that. I have to use 2 prescribed creams (one of them's Quinoderm, can't remember the other one) until I'm 21.

You need to find a skincare range that suits your skin, and only use products from that range. Using products from loads of different ranges is bad for your skin, because the ingredients in some of them might contradict each other. I use a cleanser, toner and moisturiser from La Roche Posay. Really good stuff for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

Hi, im thinking of going on accutane for my acne.
    Just have a couple of questions.

Could anyone tell me how expensive the drug is to buy?

Can I drink alcohol whilst taking accutane?

How long will accutane take to clear my skin?

What is the success rate for accutane? (why would it not work?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Trader1991 wrote: »
    Hi, im thinking of going on accutane for my acne.
    Just have a couple of questions.

Could anyone tell me how expensive the drug is to buy?

Can I drink alcohol whilst taking accutane?

How long will accutane take to clear my skin?

What is the success rate for accutane? (why would it not work?)

You should probably ask a derm these questions for concrete answers. I was told not to drink at all while on it, including a month after I had finished taking it. Usually on average it can take about 6 months, of course this can vary from person to person.

It is generally quite effective. Sometimes it mightn't work or take longer to work if you suffer from very severe and resistant acne. Personally I suffered from Acne Conglobata which is a rare type of severe acne that is notorious for being very persistant and resistant to most acne treatments, so this is one case where it might not work. I was on it for a year before my acne subsided but my condition was different from most.

Again, if you want proper answers though I would go discuss it with a professional dermatologist who will be better able to gauge your condition and provide sound advice. I was given a leaflet by my derm which told me everything I needed to know about roaccutane. btw if you're female you're gonna have to use birth control while on it. You can probably find more info here http://www.acne.org/prescription.php?view=Isotretinoin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

If by birth control you mean going on the pill, you don't HAVE to. I didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

ohthebaby wrote: »
    If by birth control you mean going on the pill, you don't HAVE to. I didn't.

You're right, you don't HAVE to. My bad :o. Just don't get pregnant while on it as there is a high risk of causing deformity in babies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Guys - anyone struggling with acne...

Get 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide - acne.org store is cheapest even incl shipping...
    Use all over face 2x a day initially for about 3 weeks.
    Then down to just at night

Acne will be gone in most people

You can add on an acne lamp if this hasnt cleared you... 4 mins on each side of the face every 4 or 5 days will get you 100% clear...

<Snip - No medical advice>

Anyone have any q's just ask/pm

Also i have info on how to drastically improve acne pock marks. Over 6 months a relatively cheap treatment can help rejuvanate ance scarred skin...

Good luck!

Advertisement