Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne Advice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

I've hard moderate acne since I was 12/13. Tried natural remedies for a while but they made no difference. Went to the GP when I was 15 and was put on antibiotics (can't remember name) which was fine for 6 months or so but I built up a resistance to them. Was also put on a benzoyl peroxide cream but reacted rather badly to it. Then went to a dermatologist and put on different creams and antibiotics which was fine for a while until the leaving cert stress hit and it came back worse than ever. Now in first year college and it still hasn't improved, even with changes in medication and creams.

TBH I'm a bit disillusioned with the dermatologist, it's so expensive for 10 mins every two months with little results, in my case.

Also does anyone know if using antibiotics for acne longterm (2/3 years) can affect your immune system? I seemed to get sick a lot with colds while I was on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

That's something you should discuss with your doctor. If you find they aren't working for you, tell your GP/dermatologist that you would like to try something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭vumpireofkid

I had very severe acne for years but after trying everything except for roaccutane (did not want to take the risks associated), I tried this Ellipse Intense Pulsed Light Therapy It took about 6 sessions altogether but you start to see improvements after the 2nd one. It's available in plenty of clinics/salons around the country. I had that treatment about 4 years ago and I haven't been affected by acne since (apart from the odd spot or two every so often). Also its worth investing in proper cleansers, the Dermalogica range in particular is excellent. I'd tried most other cleansers and this is the only one I found really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

NEED HELP

I had mild acne for the past year or so but had a particularly bad patch just on the cheek beside the nose, the spots have gone in a sense, in that they are like flat and all, but there is still a big red blotch on my cheek from them. and no creams will work as the spot is sort of under my skin now??

any recommendations?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i'm tellin you guys, i was off the vitamin D supplements for about a month and i was starting to break out in a few rather painful spots last week. i'm literally only starting to take the tablets again a week ago and already there's a visable difference!

spend a fiver on some cod liver oil capsules, or something that provides a good chunk (70%-100%) of your RDA of vitamin D, try them for a month, one a day. i'm sure it's not the cure for everyone but i'd be damned if it wont work for some people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Cloudinsane

Tea-tree Oil is a great, natural oil that helps with dying down the redness and generally drying out the spots.

I have mild acne, mostly found on my chin and have recently had some on my forehead. Very annoying.

I use Tee Tree Oil in the morning; I give it a half an hour before applying a moisturiser so as to not to dry out my face. At night, I use sudocrem. Again, it kills the redness and is a natural anti-septic.

Now, my results aren't great, but if you have mild acne, in two days the spots will pretty much fade. I'm taking cod liver oil tablets and multivitamin tablets to aid the skin as well.

Hopefully things will work out in a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I have acne for about 6 years now (I'm almost 30) :( It started when I got pregnant & hasn't gone away yet.
    I'm on the pill the past 2 years & although there is a good improvement I still have a face full of spots.
    I've read a post here about someone using Evening Primrose oil, I've just started taking it yesterday, so I was just wondering if anyone here has had any luck with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kittensneeze

I had pretty bad acne from 13 -20. I never thought it would go away and am still excited about it now. I really think its something you grow out of. But I also think natural cleansers etc are the only way. The holistic cleanser by
    Dr Hauschka has no crappy ingredients, no laureth sulfates, nothing. Its important to use something that works in tune with your skin to help it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I don't buy into the whole "natural is best" crap, and the word "holistic" makes me run a mile, but whatever works for you, I guess.

(Not that I think treatments based on plant extracts or anything are bad, but I wouldn't view them as any different to something based on synthesised chemicals).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I don't buy into the whole "natural is best" crap, and the word "holistic" makes me run a mile, but whatever works for you, I guess.

(Not that I think treatments based on plant extracts or anything are bad, but I wouldn't view them as any different to something based on synthesised chemicals).

Continuously proven results is what convinces me, not just what could be a placebo effect or some crazy 1/10000000 chance of it actually working.

So someone telling me to rub urine on my face mighnt get the best response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Freckles. My personal acne.

Are they permanent? I've never really thought about it, but I can't envisage a very freckly adult, whereas ginger freckly children are quite common...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

cautioner wrote: »
    Freckles. My personal acne.

Are they permanent? I've never really thought about it, but I can't envisage a very freckly adult, whereas ginger freckly children are quite common...

snap. They seem to be fading away slowly though (I'm 19), so there's hope yet. The worst part is having freckles on my lips... eww....

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

I had pretty bad acne from 13 -20. I never thought it would go away and am still excited about it now. I really think its something you grow out of. But I also think natural cleansers etc are the only way. The holistic cleanser by
    Dr Hauschka has no crappy ingredients, no laureth sulfates, nothing. Its important to use something that works in tune with your skin to help it

I reckon you just grew out of it. If the "natural" cleansers worked so well how come it took 7 years to clear up :p?

My ex used to have a bit of acne during those years too, but it disapeared and she has such beautiful skin now. But then again I thought she always did to be honest :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

How about =p the 3 day acne diet

You basically eat nothing but 9 apples a day for 3 days and at the end you give yourself an enema :)

it's a bit bull**** if you ask me =p

But i've tried evvverything and I found that clearasil is crap, but nivea visage young skin is reeally good :) it won't clear it completely but it'll do stuff:P

I've kinda just given up using any kinda stuff now though and my skin seems to be..alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    How about =p the 3 day acne diet

You basically eat nothing but 9 apples a day for 3 days and at the end you give yourself an enema :)

Guy in my year did it (detox apparently), no need for an enema!

He farted in class and had to go home, thats as much detail as you're getting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jason&arthur

time is the greatest healer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

suffered for years with acne until i finally went to the GP and was put on dianette....worked wonders but not really and option for the lads though!
    Cleansers or moisturisers, no matter how expensive they are of what they claim, will NOT clear acne, they might just get rid of the surface of the spot a biteen quicker
    If i could go back and do anything different i would say DONT PICK THEM because even though the spots will clear you will be left with scars that will not clear!!!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

My acne covered my face, neck, shoulders, arms, chest, upper back, lower back, thighs, and other places I'd rather not go into...Anyway, the first bit of advice a lot of people I've seen giving is to wear make up. THIS IS A BAD IDEA. Make up clogs your pores, and causes acne to form, so while you're hiding it for now, it will only get worse.

As a treatment I suggest Panoxyl 5 or Panoxyl 10 for mild to moderate acne. However if this does not work for you, you should visit your GP. He will perscribe you tablets. If these do not work, seek out a dermatologist. I went on Roaccutane for about 4 months last year. It was sore on my lips, sometimes, I couldn't even open my mouth wide enough to talk or eat, but in the end it worked amazingly, and I didn't get any of the really side effects... I'd recommend it highly, if you've tried anything else, but you're going to need visit a dermatologist first.

Oh, I wouldn't suggest squeezing either, that leaves scars... I've learned that the hard way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

For some strange reason..Benzoyl Peroxide only seems to work on my chin
    Tried 5 and 10% Grrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

My sister is studying beauty and today she decided to try out all the machines in her college on my face...All the machines were like electrolisis and chemicals that clean under the skin...and i admit it was painful especially when she started sparking the spots with the electrolisis.....Il probably have to wait a week to see any results so il report back if i see any major changes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 defness

Drink a load of water! Eat a lot of fruit! + cut down on Wheat and milk!

Give this your best shot for 2-3 wks and you'll have much improved skin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭JordanDC

defness wrote: »
    Drink a load of water! Eat a lot of fruit! + cut down on Wheat and milk!

Give this your best shot for 2-3 wks and you'll have much improved skin!

Thats very true. Milk is one of the worst things for acne. Didnt know about the fruit though. Ive had terrible acne but its just about gone now, i cut out milk and reduced levels of food with high dairy. Then used this natural cream on my face and ive been doing it for 2 weeks now and its almost gone! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Also, one thing my doctor told me was to wet a face cloth with water as hot as you can bear and press it against your face during your morning shower.

This is the only thing that has ever worked for me.
    Very Very Very Hot water.
    Very Very Very Hot showers.
    Keep your hands very clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Well its been 4 days and i can really see the changes of my skin now....all the spots are drying up and all the big Mo'Fos have broken down in to smaller ones which are clearing up everytime i wash my face!!..I'd definitely recommend it too anyone!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

ByMycin is working very well for me, only thing is I can't seem to come off it! When I take it, it works wonders, but when I stop it comes back. Suppose it needs more time to work.
    For those with mild acne I can recommend Udo's Oil supplement. Found it good for my over all health and it did clear my skin up. I used to put it into porridge.
    http://www.evergreen.ie/Udos-Choice-Ultimate-Oil-Blend-!P-070026-prod.html?gclid=CNrrmMDa7pgCFUEt3godg0wL2A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Twee. wrote: »
    ByMycin is working very well for me, only thing is I can't seem to come off it! When I take it, it works wonders, but when I stop it comes back. Suppose it needs more time to work.
    For those with mild acne I can recommend Udo's Oil supplement. Found it good for my over all health and it did clear my skin up. I used to put it into porridge.
    http://www.evergreen.ie/Udos-Choice-Ultimate-Oil-Blend-!P-070026-prod.html?gclid=CNrrmMDa7pgCFUEt3godg0wL2A
    you serious? i have a bottle of that stuff in my fridge!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Teutorix wrote: »
    you serious? i have a bottle of that stuff in my fridge!

Yeah! Like it's not meant for acne, but if you're not getting all your omegas like myself, it's very handy for clearing up/general health. I certainly noticed a difference in my bacne, but switched to the Bymycin in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Twee. wrote: »
    Yeah! Like it's not meant for acne, but if you're not getting all your omegas like myself, it's very handy for clearing up/general health. I certainly noticed a difference in my bacne, but switched to the Bymycin in the end.
    Dang i better ask my mom if i can use it. i dont want to bother with bymycin cause my acne isnt very serious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Cloudinsane

I'm using baking soda at the moment, turning it into a paste. I had two spots which kinda joined forces on my forehead. I put on the paste and within two days they were gone (they were pretty much boils).

I find it works great for big spots and brings smaller ones to a head.

As for the milk thing - crap. I have milk everyday:(

Advertisement