Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne Advice Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bomberpaddy

Please help, i'm as spotty as fuc-k at the minute, this is no joke :(
    I've been trying home remedies for the last week but nothing seem to be working! So far i've used lemons, mustard, apples and chewed chewing gum but still i keep getting news ones everyday, I look like I fell into a field of nettles right now, it's no joke!
    Does clearasil really work or is it worth the bother? What other home remedies could i use that would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Please help, i'm as spotty as fuc-k at the minute, this is no joke :(
    I've been trying home remedies for the last week but nothing seem to be working! So far i've used lemons, mustard, apples and chewed chewing gum but still i keep getting news ones everyday, I look i fell into a field of nettles right now, it's no joke!
    Does clearasil really work or is it worth the bother? What other home remedies could i use that would be better?
    Rub raw garlic on your face and leave for 10 mins!It works brilliantly also wash your face then put a mask of honey on it and leave for 5mins...then at night if you have Savlon cream rub it in the spots...it works great for me!

Rub raw garlic on your face and leave for 10 mins!It works brilliantly also wash your face then put a mask of honey on it and leave for 5mins...then at night if you have Savlon cream rub it in the spots...it works great for me!

How can i put the mask of honey on? would the stuff not drip all over the feckn shop!?

How can i put the mask of honey on? would the stuff not drip all over the feckn shop!?
    Haha nah just dont use too much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭themetallifan

Eh....????

Or you could just buy some Panoxyl (Benzoyl Peroxide) gel over the counter in any pharmacy. Put it on morn & night....results within a week. (Try 5%, although if it doesn't work, go with a higher % gel). As much as natural remedies may work, they won't give you the fast-action of this.

• Advertisement

Eh....????

Or you could just buy some Panoxyl (Benzoyl Peroxide) gel over the counter in any pharmacy. Put it on morn & night....results within a week. (Try 5%, although if it doesn't work, go with a higher % gel). As much as natural remedies may work, they won't give you the fast-action of this.
    Seriously man it works better then the gel believe me I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭themetallifan

Seriously man it works better then the gel believe me I know!

Under NO circumstances should you put garlic directly onto your face. Firstly, the odour will be hard to get rid of, and secondly, garlic is not absorbed by the skin, it needs to be ingested to have ANY effect. The good results seen by people putting garlic on their face are generally attributed to the amount of washing they do to get rid of the smell.

It may have worked for you, but it's too dangerous to recommend to others without warning. I think this sums it up quite well:
    There have been several reports of serious burns resulting from garlic being applied topically for various purposes, including naturopathic uses and acne treatment, so care must be taken to test a small area of skin using a very low concentration of garlic. On the basis of numerous reports of such burns, including burns to children, topical use of raw garlic, as well as insertion of raw garlic into body cavities, is discouraged. In particular, topical application of raw garlic to young children is not advisable.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11600262?dopt=Abstract (actual peer-reviewed article)

With regards to honey, I've heard good things over the short term. Apparently messy, but very soothing, and decreases inflammation.

Under NO circumstances should you put garlic directly onto your face. Firstly, the odour will be hard to get rid of, and secondly, garlic is not absorbed by the skin, it needs to be ingested to have ANY effect. The good results seen by people putting garlic on their face are generally attributed to the amount of washing they do to get rid of the smell.

Should I just try eating a pile of garlic then like or would that do any good? The garlic couldn't burn like the mustard did, that stuff was horrid bad i tell ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SOUL survivor

GO to www.acne.org and follow the regimen. Its amazing. The products they sell are great and really do work. Takes a while to work but it really does work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 clodaghc

Im so glad I found this space - Im dying to tell everyone about these 2 products!
    First some background - I got acne at the ripe old age of 24- all over my face and back- for 5 long years I tried EVERYTHING over the shelf, got things to dab on my skn, anti biotics, creams from my doc - the whole shebang....I was on my last change before Ro Acitane - which is a very very harsh drug....anyway, I went to apparently the best dermatologist in Ireland, and paid 250 for the pleasure of speaking to her - and her advice can be wrapped up in the following 2 words - Neostrata & Cetaphil.
    Both of these ranges can be found in chemists - or they will order them in for you. The face washes are only about 9 euro , the serums are about 30 euro and theres lots of other stuff to chose from. Check out the net to see the full range.
    My skin cleared up completely! I have been left with some scarring - but Bio Oil is clearing that up too... I still get spots here and there but only when I get lazy and go to bed in my make up!
    Dont let anyone tell you to suffer because of your age - its hormones its normal - thats what they say, but its not true. My acne was hormonal too, but it was definitley NOT normal at 24, and completely curable. I gave the advice to my 15 year old niece and her skin is incredible - no red bumps, no soreness, no pimples and everyones asking her how she did it too :)
    GET TO THE CHEMIST - BUY THESE PRODUCTS AND NEVER LOOK BACK!
    And post again when you see the almost instant effect :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

What were the ones you used? Had a look & there are a lot of products.
    What type of skin do you have? I have very dry & sensitive skin so I can't use anything containing Salicylic acid.
    clodaghc wrote: »
    Im so glad I found this space - Im dying to tell everyone about these 2 products!
    First some background - I got acne at the ripe old age of 24- all over my face and back- for 5 long years I tried EVERYTHING over the shelf, got things to dab on my skn, anti biotics, creams from my doc - the whole shebang....I was on my last change before Ro Acitane - which is a very very harsh drug....anyway, I went to apparently the best dermatologist in Ireland, and paid 250 for the pleasure of speaking to her - and her advice can be wrapped up in the following 2 words - Neostrata & Cetaphil.
    Both of these ranges can be found in chemists - or they will order them in for you. The face washes are only about 9 euro , the serums are about 30 euro and theres lots of other stuff to chose from. Check out the net to see the full range.
    My skin cleared up completely! I have been left with some scarring - but Bio Oil is clearing that up too... I still get spots here and there but only when I get lazy and go to bed in my make up!
    Dont let anyone tell you to suffer because of your age - its hormones its normal - thats what they say, but its not true. My acne was hormonal too, but it was definitley NOT normal at 24, and completely curable. I gave the advice to my 15 year old niece and her skin is incredible - no red bumps, no soreness, no pimples and everyones asking her how she did it too :)
    GET TO THE CHEMIST - BUY THESE PRODUCTS AND NEVER LOOK BACK!
    And post again when you see the almost instant effect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 clodaghc

MoonDancer wrote: »
    What were the ones you used? Had a look & there are a lot of products.
    What type of skin do you have? I have very dry & sensitive skin so I can't use anything containing Salicylic acid.

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
    Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben

Or
    Neostrata Clarifying Facial Cleanser
    Benefits and Key Ingredients:
    • PHA Gluconolactone conditions
    • Triclosan – antibacterial
    • Panthenol (Pro-vitamin B5) and chamomile soothe skin
    • Soap-free
    And then - the best bit :)
    Neosrata Bionic Face Serum
    Key Ingredients:

Gluconolactone
    Lactobionic acid
    Vitamins A, C and E
    Good Luckl! Let me know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Greetings all, noob here but have been posting elsewhere on boards for ages.

I suffer from 'BAcne' I'm trying to get a body wash/shower gel/scrub with salicylic acid in it. The one by 'Murad' which was recommended is just too pricey for me. Anyone know of another that one can get OTC or online?. Here is the Murad product I am referring to FYI;

http://www.murad.com/acne-body-wash.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

So is just Savlon any good? Like just rubbing a bit in morning and night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

woah this is some crazy acne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭g-whizz

my doctor said that diet has no bearing on acne...

Ask your doctor about Tetralysal! Mmmmmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Alkalimetal

The only thing I've ever found to work for my acne (after trying loads of clearacel etc.), was benzoyl peroxide cream. I used Panoxyl (?) 5% cream and it got rid of my acne really fast... it destroys your skin if you use it too much though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ian 123

Hey, I had bad acne for a good 2 years and it has finally started to clear up. But the only problem is that I have a lot of bumps on my face which arnt red or anything they are just small bumps. I was wondering does anyone know if these will ever go away or are they there for good? cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Just thought id share me expirience!

I had mild enough acne and went to see my gp anout it, he put me on some drugs to help clear it, didnt work!

He then put me on a drug called roacutane, very strong drug, some people get a good few side effects, i was lucky and didnt really get any apart from dried skin perhaps. For this you have to have blood tests taken every month though

You will be on it for 4 months perhaps, no more than 6 in any case. After about 2 months acne magically starts to clear!! When it goes it doesnt come back, essentially the drug kills off the glands that make acne or whatever!

Really good decision to go on it, only problem is only a dermotologist can prescripe it, luckily my gp had trained as a dermotologist aswell, so all was good!

If anyone wants anymore info, pm me sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Just after coming off 3 months of Minocycline Pills and Duac Cream.
    They worked amazingly :D Facial acne is about 80% clear and body acne is completely clear.

Anybody have any tips on clearing acne scars??

No Major side effects apart from slight tiredness and headaches for the first week and I think it kinda messed up my digestive system :mad:
    Better get some probiotics into me! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

timmywex wrote: »
    Just thought id share me expirience!

I had mild enough acne and went to see my gp anout it, he put me on some drugs to help clear it, didnt work!

He then put me on a drug called roacutane, very strong drug, some people get a good few side effects, i was lucky and didnt really get any apart from dried skin perhaps. For this you have to have blood tests taken every month though

You will be on it for 4 months perhaps, no more than 6 in any case. After about 2 months acne magically starts to clear!! When it goes it doesnt come back, essentially the drug kills off the glands that make acne or whatever!

Really good decision to go on it, only problem is only a dermotologist can prescripe it, luckily my gp had trained as a dermotologist aswell, so all was good!

If anyone wants anymore info, pm me sure

Roacc is good but I would point out that not everybody gets such great results in the first course. I had 4 different courses of roaccutane (and counting). Each course made it better but it has been a long slog to clear my skin. I am now on a long term treatment so I have to take a small dosage every week for the forseeable future. But what I would say is that it is so worth it. My skin was diabolical but it is now perfectly clear:D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

just out of curiousity how much is a course of roaccutane ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

g-whizz wrote: »

It hasn't been proven that diet effects acne...but I'd say it does, to some degree, depending on the person.

Best thing for acne lads in Benzoyl Peroxide anything above 5%.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

g-whizz wrote: »

I've just switched from Bymycin to Tetralysal and am finding it working far better. Positive results so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

I have blackheads/big open pores around my nose and cheeks, and some bumps on my cheeks/chin. I only have a few red spots but I'm a little apranoid about the blackheads/pores. I'm going to the chemist in the next few days, any advice on what to buy?

I'm 16, have kind dry/normal skin. Haven't really used much stuff in the past, starting to care now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

My brother was on roaccutane and it really is a very strong drug. It is almost a last case drug as the precautions and side effects can be very strong.
    Here are just some of the precautions, it can cause depression/severe mood swings, those taking it have to very wary of the sun, and cannot go out in very sunny/hot weather, and no alcohol allowed during the time it's being taken.
    It does work amazingly, but you have to be monitored whilst taking it as well as very responsible about it.
    Saying that, you still need to have blood tests and skins tests to see if it will have any effect, and even still it may not be the drug for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Anyone suffer from severe redness around their nose?

Is it simply caused by spots and blackheads, any recommended cures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Take zine tables they are cheap and good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Zine tablets?

I hate taking tablets - I find them difficult to swallow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I used to have blackheads on my nose but i just scrub my face really really well each morning and evening and they went after a week or so.

Advertisement