Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne Advice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Trout99

does roacetane make you depressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

ziggy23 wrote: »
    I was on minocin on and off for years I actually became immune to it so it stopped working for me all together:( Trying to think of all the other anti-biotics I've been on and creams I tried

Minocin
    By-miacin
    Thrimethoprim(spell?)
    Oxy-tetracycline
    Zineryt
    Panoxyl (5 and 10)
    Duac
    Differin(gel and cream)
    Diannette(contraceptive pill)

The thing is my acne isn't too severe. It's mainly just chin and jawline.

Has anyone tried any sort of laser treatment for their acne and what sort of results did they see?

wow thats so weird thats exactly where i have it too! just all across my chin and lately just a couple around my nose. some of it is just redness but i cant seem to shift it. im in Sydney at the minute so not sure what stuff they have here but ill have to check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Trout99 wrote: »
    does roacetane make you depressed?

Yes in some people.If you have any history of depression the doctor prob would'nt put you on it. If you do go on just make sure you have someone to keep an eye on your moods

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭victoriaa

Yes in some people.If you have any history of depression the doctor prob would'nt put you on it. If you do go on just make sure you have someone to keep an eye on your moods

I don't know.. I have a history of depression and still used it. Never felt better.
    It was much more bad to read the horror stories about the effects than actually taking it.

victoriaa wrote: »
    I don't know.. I have a history of depression and still used it. Never felt better.
    It was much more bad to read the horror stories about the effects than actually taking it.

Really? The doctor obviously knew about your depression? I'd love to go on it just to clear it up once and for all but my doctor says no:( Maybe I should try another doctor

• Advertisement

gibson wrote: »
    wow thats so weird thats exactly where i have it too! just all across my chin and lately just a couple around my nose. some of it is just redness but i cant seem to shift it. im in Sydney at the minute so not sure what stuff they have here but ill have to check

It's a feckin pain alright but it could be worse. Ah sure the sun in Sydney will do wonders for it just make sure you have your sun screen on;)
    Ah I'm jealous now wish I was in Sydney:D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭victoriaa

Really? The doctor obviously knew about your depression? I'd love to go on it just to clear it up once and for all but my doctor says no:( Maybe I should try another doctor

Oh.. no, my doctor didn't know about it :pac: Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

My father is in his 60's and has suffered with blackheads for years - they look awful. Can anybody suggest a facial scrub / cream for him to use. He won't go into a Beauty place as he's from the old school of thought - they're only for women. Please help. Thanx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 squelch

i used to have pretty bad acne as a teenager, and i used to get this weird dry,red,rough patch on my forehead just below my hairline... anyways i tried all the face washes, masks and a few perscription creams and stuff but nothing really worked all that well....
    anyways someone told me one day to wash my face with baking soda and it really cleared up my skin.. it stung at tiny bit the first time i used it but after like a week or so my skin looked a lot better....
    do it a few times a week now and my skins pretty good save the occasional hormonal or crappy eating spot on my chin..... but cleared up my weird forehead patch really well...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

In the last 5 years or so I have drank about 8-10 glasses of water a day, I like to feel thats why I don't really get spots.

I would really recomend drinking alot of it. Though if you have bad acne I supose it wouldn't help much.. But cant do much wrong.

Also kinda what the person above said from hearing friends and that if 1 or 2 brands aren't working for you try differnt methods, there often more helpful. I know a few people that use baking soda and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Lads,

Been years since I had acne but I read this and thought of this forum...

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/9p2f8/i_am_a_seventeenyearold_who_had_terrible_and/

C

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I started to do this recently...kinda. I always got a couple of spots around my jawline and chin and was sick of it. Although, instead of a towel I just change my pillow case. When ya think about it it makes sense, any grease or dirt from your hair could be all over your face, can't be good for it. I also started using hand sanitizer before putting on make up or anything that involved touching my face, like I always washed my hands etc but using the sanitizer really made a difference. It's mostly cleared up now, glad to say. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Lads,

Been years since I had acne but I read this and thought of this forum...

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/9p2f8/i_am_a_seventeenyearold_who_had_terrible_and/

C

Mhhhh....interesting read! Might give it a try for a week or two,(I have pretty bad acne around my jawline and neck) if there is any improvements I'll update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 shelly2

I had really bad acne from I was about 16. When I turned 18 I went on Dianette (Pill) as it is designed to clear acne. It took about 3 months but now my skin is perfectly clear. I have been on it for 3 years and have had no effects.

I used to want to cry some mornings just looking in the mirror as no amount of make up would cover that.

My confidence rose so much after I got my skin cleared. A bad skin day now consists of maybe one spot (which is almost enjoyable :) )

I dont use any products on my skin at all apart from wipes to take off eye make up etc.

Would definitely say to all girls out there suffering the same problems to talk to their doctor about dianette. Its a good option to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

if someone has bad-ish acne but doesn't need antibiotics or hormonal therapy, I'd recommend using Panoxyl 5. It's a very strong gel so only use it every second day to begin with. I used it when I was younger and could only tolerate it twice a week (or else my skin got too dried out and red) but it's fantastic stuff..

Where can you buy panoxyl5?

Pretty much ever Irish pharmacy should have it and if they don't, just ask at the counter and they'll be able to order it from any of the main wholesalers

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

This seemed like a thread I cn actually reply in. I've had acne since I was 15/16. Never serious but always there and as I got older and it never cleared I got quite down about it. I can honestly say I've tried EVERYTHING on the market: clearasil, oxy, clean'n'clear, boots own brand, witch, neutragina, loreal, panoxyl, quinderm. Doctor refused point blank to put me on roaccutane as A) she reckons it wasnt serious enough and B) mild bouts of depression when I was younger. Watching TV I saw a slot about Anu Therapie in Drogheda. They do loads of skin treatments and this particular one was for acne. As I had tried everything else I decided to bite the bullet (26, male, trust me it was difficult to head for a salon) and give it a go. The lady there gave me a cleaning set, cleanser-serum-moisturiser, which I use twice daily. Oh and every two weeks I go for a "fire and ice facial":) ( serious dent to my masculinity here) I'm about 6 weeks into the coarse and I have to say for the first time ever I've noticed a huge improvement. It's not totally clear which is my ultimate aim but its so much reduced that Im actuallly happy and content in myself when I'm out with mates and in work and can look people in the eye. Yes, the acne did bother me that much. It's not cheap by a long shot (€80/facial, €170/cleaning set) but considering all the other gunk I was buying, my own increased level of confidence and that this is the first time I've seen a big improvement, I am more than happy to pay the price. Sorry for the long post, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

I bought the panoxyl 5 stuff. Super reasonably priced. Just a few questions:

Can you wear make up over it? I read the instructions but it doesn't mention anything about it?

Do you have to wash it off? Like, if I put it on before bed do I need to wash it off in the morning?

Can you moisturise over it? I find it's drying my skin out a little, don't want to mess it up by putting on moisturiser though...

Anyone with any answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Hey macca that sounds great im in the same boat as yourself cept im 20. Id give anything to clear it completly! Do ya have a website or anything for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I bought the panoxyl 5 stuff. Super reasonably priced. Just a few questions:

Can you wear make up over it? I read the instructions but it doesn't mention anything about it?

Do you have to wash it off? Like, if I put it on before bed do I need to wash it off in the morning?

Can you moisturise over it? I find it's drying my skin out a little, don't want to mess it up by putting on moisturiser though...

Anyone with any answers?

Im a user myself! :D

From my experience anyways:

1. Im pretty sure you are able to wear make-up over it, just use a little less than normal!

2. Leave it overnight, wash off in the morning.

3. I'd be inclined to say, wash off panoxyl, then moisterise, one or the other

Hope this helps! :)

...and if it's drying out you skin too much, stick to every second or every third day. Better not to dry it out too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Hey sccopman heres the website: http://www.anutherapie.com/
    Dont be put off by the very female look of the website. If you can afford it, dig your heels in and go for it. I can honestly say it's the first time something has really worked for me.

Oh and just on Panoxyl. If you start using 10% be very careful with your clothes, bed sheets and pillow cases. Lots of neon pink and beige marks on these led me to throw alot out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Ok so having read through a lot of the acne sticky and having had spots for years varying from plenty to a few and back again.. I've gone doc, used several products and have been told it's due to oily skin. Been seeing a lot of ads for oxy products and I *think* nivea on tv so was wondering has anyone used this and is it worth my trip to the shops?

Gettin waay to conscious these days as I work directly in front of people so I always feel kinda ugh

Thanks and if you want to recommend another product please do!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

My 2 friends from Belfast swear by Proactiv they've used it for a while now and have seen amazing results. You do have to constantly use it, its not like a miracle cream that you use once and acne never returns, but if you use the products they will clear up acne and stop break outs.

Does anyone know though if Proactiv can be bought in a shop in Ireland instead of having to order it from a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

congo_90 wrote: »
    Ok so having read through a lot of the acne sticky and having had spots for years varying from plenty to a few and back again.. I've gone doc, used several products and have been told it's due to oily skin. Been seeing a lot of ads for oxy products and I *think* nivea on tv so was wondering has anyone used this and is it worth my trip to the shops?

Gettin waay to conscious these days as I work directly in front of people so I always feel kinda ugh

Thanks and if you want to recommend another product please do!
    Ya I've thought of buying OXY recently too... Anyone here used it? Any feedback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭JEBUS 1

Can anybody reccomend anything for acne arount the mouth and chin?
    Ive tried panoxyl 5 and that's only worked on my forehead and jawline,
    so if anyone could reccomend anything for it id appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Bought some OXY for the 1st time last night... Ok its too early to see proper results and I never really had bad acne, it was more of a couple of spots at a time. Anyway, it is a microbead wash containing large red beads and loads of tiny beads. When you are using it, it feels rough on your face, so I wouldn't recommend to anyone with sensitive skin, but after you wash it off, your skin isn't rough or scratched or anything. I got it half price in Dunnes and with it I also got a zit blitz gel/cream/treatment also half price. The zit blitz is in a nice sized tube but haven't had a chance to use it really yet.

I'll get back to ye with further feedback after a week or so of use...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭JEBUS 1

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Bought some OXY for the 1st time last night... Ok its too early to see proper results and I never really had bad acne, it was more of a couple of spots at a time. Anyway, it is a microbead wash containing large red beads and loads of tiny beads. When you are using it, it feels rough on your face, so I wouldn't recommend to anyone with sensitive skin, but after you wash it off, your skin isn't rough or scratched or anything. I got it half price in Dunnes and with it I also got a zit blitz gel/cream/treatment also half price. The zit blitz is in a nice sized tube but haven't had a chance to use it really yet.

I'll get back to ye with further feedback after a week or so of use...
    Any update on this so far?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 annadbanana

hey people went to a dermatologist over the summer ther coz my skin was getin covered with spots it was an outbreak!she put me on a cream and tablets called minosil cant remember the name of the cream but it has worked absloute wonders its brilliant i wud seriously recomend anyone out there who is having problems with their skin to go and get this drug it is amazing,my skin is so smooth now and not a spot to be seen dont even need to wear foundation its great!!The only thing id say is to you havta give it tym its not gonna change over night it took my skin about three months ta fully clear up and when u start taking the cream its peels off the top layer of yur skin so it look s a bit rotten for the first couple of days butjust keep goin with it youll never look back :D

Advertisement