Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne Advice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

she put me on a cream and tablets called minosil cant remember the name of the cream but it has worked absloute wonders its brilliant

Im sure people will want to know the name of the cream :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cassie.xo

Yeah Clearasil is useless. Dermologica is proven to be the best product for all skin types. They use it in beauticians :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

lads duac is a good cream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cassie.xo

Never heard of it. Is it by perscription only or can you get it over de counter? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

cassie.xo wrote: »
    Never heard of it. Is it by perscription only or can you get it over de counter? :)
    It's prescription, but that's easy to get, just ask your doctor about it next time you're in.

It definetly works, and clears skin noticeably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lulu77

Hi, I suffered acne throughout my teens and 20s but thankfully is relatively under control now I'm in my 30s. I have a random question re acne treatments and wondering if anyone out there has had same experience? I was on antiobiotic called clinimicin (or something like that!) in my teens and while it did clear the acne (for a time) it also made my skin very pale. It's like it killed the pigment in my skin aswell as the acne... just wondering if anyone else experienced this odd side effect from any acne treatments?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I swear by this treatment...it's like my bible when it comes to acne. Obviously if it works for my skin it's not going to work for a lot of others, but it's worth a try.
    I suffered fairly bad acne for about two years. Sometimes I was OK, sometimes I was almost in tears until my mam got talking, as she does, and a girl with a similiar problem recommended this:

Well, I use Simple hydrating facial wash, there's not much in it as far as I know and it's very easy on your skin. Then I use and then I use a tube of cream called quinoderm, you can get over the counter in Boots, I think...my mam always gets it for me so I'm not too sure but definitely Boots anyway! It worked wonders for me. It can be a bit harsh on your skin to begin with but I persevered anyway and after a few days I was grand, no irritation whatsoever.
    I also use moisturizer a few times a week. For me, if I use it everyday it's too much but every few days is grand for me.
    I have clear skin now, except for the odd spot so I'm flying it:D
    If you're desperate, give it a try anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

Honestly this is getting ridiculous. No matter what the hell I do I always have greasy skin on my forehead. Literally I can dry it out insanely, put on the stuff that supposedly stops facial perspiration and BAM!! Greasy skin after two minutes.

Don't say dermatologist cause the parental guidance says it's expensive and unnecessary. :rolleyes:

So, what can I do so I can wake up without pimples? Or come how without them? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Curlz24

Hi there,

Would anybody have any advice or ideas on how I can get rid of my blackheads??

I have them on my nose mostly and cannot seem to get rid of them all.
    :mad:
    Iv used all the nose strips and while they get rid of some of them, they just dont get rid of all of them completely!

Ant advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I don't usually get spots but a few days ago I got three massive ones on my chin...at first I thought it was a rash because I just don't generally get outbreaks like this. They're those horrible sore spots that never come to the surface and just remain sore and red. I got some Panoxyl gel in Boots today, I remember using it on holidays when my friend had a tube and it was great stuff. Hopefully It'll sort out my face soon enough, I don't like wearing makeup on top of spots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 reds78

Macca3000 wrote: »
    This seemed like a thread I cn actually reply in. I've had acne since I was 15/16. Never serious but always there and as I got older and it never cleared I got quite down about it. I can honestly say I've tried EVERYTHING on the market: clearasil, oxy, clean'n'clear, boots own brand, witch, neutragina, loreal, panoxyl, quinderm. Doctor refused point blank to put me on roaccutane as A) she reckons it wasnt serious enough and B) mild bouts of depression when I was younger. Watching TV I saw a slot about Anu Therapie in Drogheda. They do loads of skin treatments and this particular one was for acne. As I had tried everything else I decided to bite the bullet (26, male, trust me it was difficult to head for a salon) and give it a go. The lady there gave me a cleaning set, cleanser-serum-moisturiser, which I use twice daily. Oh and every two weeks I go for a "fire and ice facial":) ( serious dent to my masculinity here) I'm about 6 weeks into the coarse and I have to say for the first time ever I've noticed a huge improvement. It's not totally clear which is my ultimate aim but its so much reduced that Im actuallly happy and content in myself when I'm out with mates and in work and can look people in the eye. Yes, the acne did bother me that much. It's not cheap by a long shot (€80/facial, €170/cleaning set) but considering all the other gunk I was buying, my own increased level of confidence and that this is the first time I've seen a big improvement, I am more than happy to pay the price. Sorry for the long post, but just thought I'd throw it out there.
    can macca tell me what the cleansing products are called?? would be interested in getting some too. Have been onto that website before and was looking at some products and just want to make sure they are the same ones. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Hey reds78, the product is called Is Clinical.

Two months on from that post I have to back track a little. When I finished using it, literally within 2 days I had a breakout. So you have to keep using the product constantly and stick to the routine. It is expensive and I think ultimatly what I want is something that totally clears my face of spots and then totally prevents them coming back. Wishful thinking but Im the stubborn type. However this does work in clearing your face but in the long run it would work out very expensive to keep it clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 reds78

thanks macca. I think that product was initially invented for use in patients who have undergone chemo and radiotherapy and have damaged skin as a result. But they saw such great results in its healing that they brought it out for other skin conditions. Saw an article on it. Thanks for the reply and think i will try it now. Had looked into it before but knew it was expensive!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rody1982

Just saw a few posts on acne in general and just thought Id share my own experience cos I know what an absolute pain in the ass it is, the embaressment of it and the depression of it too. I suffered bad bouts of acne from the age of 11 up til about 23. it was all over my face, chest and back. Took everything going for it.......was going to be put on roaccutane but I refused due to the possible side effects. I use to cover my skin at night in sudocream and tried every face wash going and antibiotics. All made my skin dry, crap and usually with more spots and lumps popping up.
    I found Udos oil (Udos choice) to be brilliant, it literally cleared my skin up in a week and after a few weeks had clear skin. its fish oil capsules with omega 3 and 6 in them and I took about 10 capsules a day. You can get it in any health shop or good chemist. I just wash my face now with water and gentle facewash and no sudocream at night and popped Udos oil all the time. My face is clear now and has been for the past 4 years. I still get the ocassional spot the odd time, i dont mind that but nothing compared to the lumps that were constantly on my face all the time. Might help somebody else but its worth a go!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭larsson7

Had to add to this. Can completely relate to maccas post, same age same probs etc.
    Iv found Doxycline very useful cleared it up for me. I used it for last 3 years or so now that im off it i just get manageable ones on chin (on so long cos once off they came back)
    Doxy is cheap has no side effects and no probs using long term.
    A daily drug by the way so you can keep the cleansing methods ongoing at same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

Went to the doctor today and got Tetralysal and Differin gel. Anybody else use these? Did it work?

Also the doc said to only put the differin on my forehead? Anybody else told this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Has there been a conclusion in this thread about what the best cream to use for acne is? (available over the counter) I can't seem to find one, apart from understanding not to purchase clearasil.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kevin! wrote: »
    Has there been a conclusion in this thread about what the best cream to use for acne is? (available over the counter) I can't seem to find one, apart from understanding not to purchase clearasil.

I think one of the most interesting findings of this thread is that there is no single miracle cure. Different treatments can have different effects on different people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 eleanoroosevelt

zineryt and retinA ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Johnaldinioh

roacatine worked wonders for me for about a year but then came back again not as bad but still few little buggers pop up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Hi
    Ive been reading through different threads about this. Im after having the worse breakout ive had in a while ( hoping this will be gone before the new year !! ). But moving forward i need to sort this problem out once and for all. I have spots that are only on my chin, the rest of my face always clear except for this area. Im off the pill diantte since september and do not want to go back on it. Im taking zinc , angus cactus, and starflower oil vitamins all in the hope of clearing my skin( maybe im mixing to many? ) . I also use a clean & clear deep action face wash and a tea tree oil cleanser.
    Please can anyone give me advice on what i cant do to get rid of it. Its obviously knocking my confidence&getting abit down about it. Any sugguestions regarding diet & natural way to heal / control. I dont really want to take any antibiotics.my diet is not to bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd also like to see responses to this, I've been getting loads of spots on my chin recently, I used just to get the odd one but there's one or two new ones a week at this stage. Panoxyl does dry them out but I'd rather not have them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Piste wrote: »
    I'd also like to see responses to this, I've been getting loads of spots on my chin recently, I used just to get the odd one but there's one or two new ones a week at this stage. Panoxyl does dry them out but I'd rather not have them in the first place.

Been having the same problem and for the past while,

Went to the doctor, he put me 3 month prescription of tablets and Zineryt, first 3 weeks my chin cleared up perfect, but by the end of the course my skin was clearer but my chin was still very red.

I then went to the Dermatologist, and for me it was just simple acne under the skin, as with others it is so frustrating as my skin is pretty much grand otherwise. he put me on Minox tablets and the Differin gel that others also seem to be using.

Does anyone else find Differin just completely irritates their skin?? iv been using it less then a week and everytime i use it the next day my skin is kinda ichy and its still red i think im going to stop using it already!

was anyone ever told spots on chin related to hormones ? & have any idea how to control this aswel ? ive havent really tried any thing by way of antibiotics to clear my skin well besides dianette , but had to face that the minute i was of it the spots would be back, thats why looking for natural way to control it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

Throw a bit of savlon on it.

thanks ill try that anything to get rid of these.Got some evening primrose & some acne cream from boots, dont quiet have acne but hoping it'll work on these spots. ill let you all know if it works !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

scruff321 wrote: »
    Been having the same problem and for the past while,

Went to the doctor, he put me 3 month prescription of tablets and Zineryt, first 3 weeks my chin cleared up perfect, but by the end of the course my skin was clearer but my chin was still very red.

I then went to the Dermatologist, and for me it was just simple acne under the skin, as with others it is so frustrating as my skin is pretty much grand otherwise. he put me on Minox tablets and the Differin gel that others also seem to be using.

Does anyone else find Differin just completely irritates their skin?? iv been using it less then a week and everytime i use it the next day my skin is kinda ichy and its still red i think im going to stop using it already!

yep differen really irritated my skin for some reason. Have tried all the other creams and none have irritated my skin as much:confused:
    My acne has really flared up since I had a baby 12 weeks ago. Its all along my jawline and is extremely sore and red. My GP prescribed Minox which is the same as Minocin and Isotrexin gel. Not doin anything for it tho. Have an appointment for a dermatoligist for 2 weeks time...think I'll just bite the bullet and ask to be put on roaccutane. I've had acne for years now and everything else just seems to clear it temporarily. Will report back and let yous know how I find it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

applesock wrote: »
    was anyone ever told spots on chin related to hormones ? & have any idea how to control this aswel ? ive havent really tried any thing by way of antibiotics to clear my skin well besides dianette , but had to face that the minute i was of it the spots would be back, thats why looking for natural way to control it.:)
    Yea chin acne is generally said to be hormonal/ reproductive system.The diannette is very strong. Have u tried any other pill like Yasmin? Its more low dose. I've heard the herb agnus cactus is good for hormonal disorders but ur better off goin into a herbalist though and asking for advice:cool:

i havent tryed any other pill as where trying for a baby now. so would rather sort all out naturally. i think they must be hormonal as only ever get them really bad coming up to my period how annoying, saying that its very rare i have a pure clear day. But remember i was saying bout the cream i got in the chemist, i kid you not when i say the golfball that was on my face is now literally half the size. woohooo could be clear for new years after all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

I've had acne sice I was about 14. I'm 18 now and it still hasn't cleared. I was perscribed Zineryt and some antibiotics (can't remember the name) which worked really well at first but I built up an immunity to them. Was then put on Dianette which didn't work along with other antibiotics.

When I was 16 I started to use a facewash and a gel I found in the chemist called Prinoc.. It was an over the counter range and both the products cost about €10. I have to say it was amazing, my skin started to clear up within days! But unfortunetly it got taken off the market,:( I think you can only get it now if it's perscribed to you and nothing has worked for me since.

Advertisement