Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne Advice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Given up on this whole Minosil + benezoyl peroxide stuff....only making it worse if anything...or very very slowly better...way too slow
    Gonna try and get put on ro-accuntane :)
    Only thing that's almost guaranteed to work I'd say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

I've had incredible success by taking multi vitamin tablets from... LIDL!

Seriously, it's called something like A-Z lutein, and is very cheap. Try it.

And Vitamin C + Zinc tablets from Boots.

I take 1 of each each morning, and i'm virtually spot free for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TanD

I used a cleanser that you can get from the pharmacy, its called Cetaphil, its amazing and soft and it took away my acne (this is going back a few years now). They still sell it, I cannot recommend this product enough.

Going for the blood test for roaccutane on Monday...then when the results come I'm on it :D ugleh be gone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Going for the blood test for roaccutane on Monday...then when the results come I'm on it :D ugleh be gone :)

Hey nitromaster
    I'm goin to see a dermatoligist on Thursday hopin to go on roaccutane can u tell me wat exactly happens before they put u on it? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I'm making an appointment to see a dermatologist. I've no more options left now. Given up on iS Clinical stuff from Drogheda. too expensive (€1000 in 5 months) and for that price I'd expect a face as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I'm seriously depressed, weather probably isn't helping, but I'm 27 this year and still getting spots. And not just regular small flat ones or squeezable white heads, what I get is great sodding lumps that look like boils on my face. I have 3 currently and one right in the middle of my forehead. So paranoid about it that I haven't gone to work the last two days, I've cancelled going out tomorrow night with mates and I'm getting my sister to get anything I need from the shops!

I hate being this vain, but it's really getting me down now:(

Macca3000 wrote: »
    I'm making an appointment to see a dermatologist. I've no more options left now. Given up on iS Clinical stuff from Drogheda. too expensive (€1000 in 5 months) and for that price I'd expect a face as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I'm seriously depressed, weather probably isn't helping, but I'm 27 this year and still getting spots. And not just regular small flat ones or squeezable white heads, what I get is great sodding lumps that look like boils on my face. I have 3 currently and one right in the middle of my forehead. So paranoid about it that I haven't gone to work the last two days, I've cancelled going out tomorrow night with mates and I'm getting my sister to get anything I need from the shops!

I hate being this vain, but it's really getting me down now:(

I hear ya!!!
    I'm 27 in July and gettin those large painful spots u talk about too. Think its called cystic acne:confused: U name it I've tried it with little results:mad:
    Goin to bite the bullet once and for all and try Roaccutane. Best of look with your appointment. Keep us posted:)

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Hey nitromaster
    I'm goin to see a dermatoligist on Thursday hopin to go on roaccutane can u tell me wat exactly happens before they put u on it? Thanks!

<snip> Don't lie to your dermatologist </snip>- Piste

<snip> Don't lie to your dermatologist </snip>- Piste

Thanks Nitromaster got to read the comment before it was snipped:D

Thanks Nitromaster got to read the comment before it was snipped:D

Welcome :D
    Okay maybe I said it slightly the wrong way...*shifty eyes* but basically the truth works...but stress it out... I mean if you're looking for roacutane you're likely fed up of the acne at this stage...and b) have likely looked it up while googling "how the fck to get rid of acne"

But yeah...to everyone...tell the truth ;) and be persistent...if you want it enough, you'll get it :)

• Advertisement

Welcome :D
    Okay maybe I said it slightly the wrong way...*shifty eyes* but basically the truth works...but stress it out... I mean if you're looking for roacutane you're likely fed up of the acne at this stage...and b) have likely looked it up while googling "how the fck to get rid of acne"

But yeah...to everyone...tell the truth and be persistent...if you want it enough, you'll get it :)

Your spot on there! (excuse the pun:o) I know all the side effects think thats why I put it off for so long but like u nothing else has worked for any longer than a few weeks. My acne is makin me depressed not suicidal depressed just p1ssed off havin spots at the age of 26. I know I'll feel 100% better about myself if I'm able to get rid of it.
    Anyways cheers for the advice and keep us posted:D

Your spot on there! (excuse the pun:o) I know all the side effects think thats why I put it off for so long but like u nothing else has worked for any longer than a few weeks. My acne is makin me depressed not suicidal depressed just p1ssed off havin spots at the age of 26. I know I'll feel 100% better about myself if I'm able to get rid of it.
    Anyways cheers for the advice and keep us posted:D
    yeah exactly. I mean I'm only 17, but even if antibiotics did seem to work, they're just a quick...well not the quick..fix...and the thought of taking them for the rest of my life doesn't help..

Side effects look like they could be a pain...but only guaranteed ones are like dry skin/etc so worth a shot :)

Sure I'll post how I get on, you too!

I've been told not to start until 2 weeks after stopping taking minocyline, but that happens to be around the time my blood results'll be back so can't really complain there :)
    Kinda excited tbh ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

I tried everything under the sun to get rid of my spots easily but the only thing that truely helped was eating healthy and drinking water. I cleared up in a couple of weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 darkparadise

someone can help me where i can find a dermatologist in dublin who give me roaaccutan , because i have acne for now about 8 years and it wouldnt stop i tried everything had 2 years ago roaaccutan and it was workin very well so i want to take it again its the right time, what i need to do first? go to gp? which one? and which dermatology would give me roaaccutan ? im 20 year old male.
    thanks for the answer

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

someone can help me where i can find a dermatologist in dublin who give me roaaccutan , because i have acne for now about 8 years and it wouldnt stop i tried everything had 2 years ago roaaccutan and it was workin very well so i want to take it again its the right time, what i need to do first? go to gp? which one? and which dermatology would give me roaaccutan ? im 20 year old male.
    thanks for the answer

As posters on this site cannot provide medical advice (and that includes tips on where to obtain prescripted medicine) I would recommend you consult you GP about this. They'd know best which dermatologist to refer you to.

As posters on this site cannot provide medical advice (and that includes tips on where to obtain prescripted medicine) I would recommend you consult you GP about this. They'd know best which dermatologist to refer you to.

what is a GP where i can find some and do i need to pay 50 euro at the gp or at the dermatologist?
    thanks for the help

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

what is a GP where i can find some and do i need to pay 50 euro at the gp or at the dermatologist?
    thanks for the help

GP = General Practitioner (i.e. your family doctor)

There's usually a charge for that, I've no idea what costs would be involved susequently.

GP = General Practitioner (i.e. your family doctor)

There's usually a charge for that, I've no idea what costs would be involved susequently.
    but my GP is in Spain because im student for 1 year so i can go to any GP in dublin?

do i need to pay at the gp 50 euro or at the dermatology?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

The GP/Doctor has a standard fee of about 50 euro, yeah :)

• Advertisement

yeah exactly. I mean I'm only 17, but even if antibiotics did seem to work, they're just a quick...well not the quick..fix...and the thought of taking them for the rest of my life doesn't help..

Side effects look like they could be a pain...but only guaranteed ones are like dry skin/etc so worth a shot :)

Sure I'll post how I get on, you too!

I've been told not to start until 2 weeks after stopping taking minocyline, but that happens to be around the time my blood results'll be back so can't really complain there :)
    Kinda excited tbh ^^

Nitromaster how are u gettin on with Roaccutane? I'm goin on it on the 17th thank god :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I just started on roaccutane myself two weeks ago. Only side effect I'm sure it's caused is dryness in the skin and eyes, maybe a slightly weaker voice.

Obviously I'm not seeing any real results yet and I just got one of the worst outbreaks I've ever had a couple of days ago.

My brother was on it before, said he got some bad outbreaks too. :( He also said it made him feel down.

Anyhow it's not something you should really actively seek out. I was going to the GP about the acne for ages before it was recommended. Getting an appointment after that was pretty damn expensive and they seem keen enough on getting you to try absolutely anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Had my appointment with the dermatologist last week(and fu*k me they are expensive)
    Basically no matter how much pleading I did, and I was almost at the point of getting down on my knees and sobbing hysterically into hers, she insisted I did not have a serious enough case to warrant using roaccutane.
    She did recommend using an aloe vera gel all over my face after I wash it.

Although not what I wanted it is something I havn't tried before ( and I have tried probably everything else) so I'll let you know how I get on wityh it in a few weeks time.

Davidius wrote: »
    I just started on roaccutane myself two weeks ago. Only side effect I'm sure it's caused is dryness in the skin and eyes, maybe a slightly weaker voice.

Obviously I'm not seeing any real results yet and I just got one of the worst outbreaks I've ever had a couple of days ago.

My brother was on it before, said he got some bad outbreaks too. :( He also said it made him feel down.

Anyhow it's not something you should really actively seek out. I was going to the GP about the acne for ages before it was recommended. Getting an appointment after that was pretty damn expensive and they seem keen enough on getting you to try absolutely anything else.

Yea heard about the dryness of the skin and eyes and nosebleeds too. my dermo put me on erythrocin which is an anti-biotic for a month before I start and the 1st month I'm on it to help stop the initial break-out.
    TBH I've been puttin off roaccutane for years now cos of all the side effects but I think its the only thing that will clear it for good. I've tried everything and its costing me a fortune so dont mind payin to see a dermo if it means clear skin:D
    Anyway best of luck and keep us posted!

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Had my appointment with the dermatologist last week(and fu*k me they are expensive)
    Basically no matter how much pleading I did, and I was almost at the point of getting down on my knees and sobbing hysterically into hers, she insisted I did not have a serious enough case to warrant using roaccutane.
    She did recommend using an aloe vera gel all over my face after I wash it.

Although not what I wanted it is something I havn't tried before ( and I have tried probably everything else) so I'll let you know how I get on wityh it in a few weeks time.

Macca how many different things have u tried? I know they use roaccutane as a last resort if nothing else has worked. But sure thats not much use to you:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

I tried absolutely everything. Was at the stage of just giving up! :(
    Then just happened to go and get my intolerances tested - for different reasons. :rolleyes:
    Would suggest to anyone who's been suffering for a long time to try it, once it was discovered I was coeliac&lactose intolerante I went onto a gluten and lactose free diet, difference in skin was unbelievable, literally in about 3-4 weeks it had completely, completely cleared!
    But what with stress of the leaving and such diet has gone down hill totally, worse than ever really :( But that's why I know it's literally my diet that's affecting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Anyone here use Acnecide? Any good?

Anyone recommend anything for Bacne(back acne)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Enigma'

Swizz wrote: »
    Anyone here use Acnecide? Any good?

Anyone recommend anything for Bacne(back acne)?

I started Acnecide a few weeks ago and find it great. Still get the odd spot here and there but it generally cleared them up very well. I find that keeping a closer eye on the diet ( less fatty foods, more water) helps too. Definitely worth trying!

4 weeks into ro-acutane.......

Some guys in school today (not the nice sort of ones...the ones who laugh/make fun of people ) "are you wearing makeup"

they seem convinced i was wearing makeup.....was only after a few minutes i realised it was because of my spots being seriously less....(they presumably thought i had concealer or some crap on)

also got a comment from someone else today saying my skins clearing up really well :D

all good so far :D :pac:

• Advertisement

4 weeks into ro-acutane.......

Some guys in school today (not the nice sort of ones...the ones who laugh/make fun of people ) "are you wearing makeup"

they seem convinced i was wearing makeup.....was only after a few minutes i realised it was because of my spots being seriously less....(they presumably thought i had concealer or some crap on)

also got a comment from someone else today saying my skins clearing up really well :D

all good so far :D :pac:

thats great bro sounds good hope it works well i have next week appointment and hope doctor give me roaaccutan because its the only thing works for me

Advertisement