Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolting Dublin Accents

Options
  • 14-12-2008 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Yeeeeech!!!

As a card carrying culchie,I was listening to the Radio today and almost chucked when I heard this guy articulating in the most fcukin revolting Dublin accent I have heard in yonks.

Led me to consider the long list of skangery Dublin accents amongst our 'revered'ones and my TopTen would be.

1.. Val Andrews
    2..Brian Kerr
    3..Des Cahill
    4..Colm McCarthy (Bord Snip)
    5.. Dermuid Ferritéar
    6.. John Murray
    7..Bill Cullen
    8.. Any of the Sheridan brothers
    9.. Bono
    10.. 95% of League of Ireland Managers.with honourable mention for Stephen Kenny.

These bring up the bile in me good time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yeeeeech!!!

As a card carrying culchie,I was listening to the Radio today and almost chucked when I heard this guy articulating in the most fcukin revolting Dublin accent I have heard in yonks.

Led me to consider the long list of skangery Dublin accents amongst our 'revered'ones and my TopTen would be.

1.. Val Andrews
    2..Brian Kerr
    3..Des Cahill
    5.. Dermuid Ferritéar
    6.. John Murray
    7..Bill Cullen
    9.. Bono
    10.. 95% of League of Ireland Managers.with honourable mention for Stephen Kenny.

Bad as they are, aren't they just blessed they don't have a culchie accent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

What about Bertie Ahern? Or the cast of Fair City? Or anyone with a D4 accent? They're from Dublin.
    Aaaaaaaah yeeeeee'rrrrre onnnnlyyyyy jealouuusssss culchieeessss yeeeeh wha'?

Shut up Anto.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeeeeech!!!

As a card carrying culchie,.

Stopped there. You lose any rights to give out about other peoples accents.

What about Berite Ahern? Or the cast of Fair City? Or anyone with a D4 accent? They're from Dublin.

No sh1t Sherlock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

As a card carrying culchie

Despite the disdain some Dubs have for us country folk, I dont think we have been forced to carry identity cards just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yeeeeech!!!

1.. Val Andrews
    2..Brian Kerr
    3..Des Cahill
    5.. Dermuid Ferritéar
    6.. John Murray
    7..Bill Cullen
    9.. Bono

Seriously, your knowledge of what constitutes the skanger accent is not up to scratch. Bono? For jaysus sake....Hang around the bustop beside the screen cinema on D'olier street a few days in a row. You'll here proper skangers there (not in the dark, don't dress like you have anything worth stroking).

walshb wrote: »
    No sh1t Sherlock!

My name's not Sherlock, I believe you have me confused with somebody else.

Despite the disdain some Dubs have for us country folk, I dont think we have been forced to carry identity cards just yet.
    Says the poster who stared a thread ridiculing dubs:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Im from Rush, where we'e Dubs to culchies and culchies to Dubs so Rockees' bum is sitting nicely on the fence for this one. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

"Amongst our revered ones"

I put that in for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

walshb wrote: »
    Says the poster who stared a thread ridiculing dubs:rolleyes::D

Come again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'd be far more revolted by the stream of west-brit/mid atlantic/SoCal/Dort accents that have emerged from Dublin in the past 20 years than I would by any of the real Dublin accents alluded to in the OP. The real Dub accent is slowly dieing and that's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Stekelly wrote: »
    Stopped there. You lose any rights to give out about other peoples accents.
    Stekelly wrote:

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

My accent is better than your accent.
    No, my accent is better than your accent.
    I contend that it is in fact I that has the greatest accent.
    I disagree. My accent is clearly the best.

Snore...............

We all have stupid accents anyway. If you don't believe me, record your voice on tape, play it back and tell me honestly that you like what you heard. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

In other news, Anto is coming on for Deco in the Chelsea match.

Should be good.

"Ah jaaaaaaaaysssusss Lamps, yer wreckin me buzz here wih dem shoite balls"

javaboy wrote: »
    We all have stupid accents anyway. If you don't believe me, record your voice on tape, play it back and tell me honestly that you like what you heard. :D

My voice sounds like melted velvet and chocolate mixed with hugs and dewy meadows.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes I did like what I heard. Although at the time of recording I was also sticking a chainsaw into Paris Hilton's face so that may have something to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

We all sound the same to foreigners anyway so what does it matter.

We should all go to America where they love the irish accent and where we will score repeatedly with beautiful american women(or beautiful american men for the ladies (or gay lads)) and forget this petty accent argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I was on the phone to a cork woman the other day.. I swear to god it sounded like she had a cock in her mouth or something. I couldn't understand a word she was saying and eventually just hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I was on the phone to a cork woman the other day.. I swear to god it sounded like she had a cock in her mouth or something. I couldn't understand a word she was saying and eventually just hung up.

Was it a sex line? Cos that could have been part of the act.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Was it a sex line? Cos that could have been part of the act.
    *Ponders*.... you know what? You could be on to something there me aul flowah.

worst. sex line. evar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Pale
    I knew what it was from a historical context. But it's only Dubs that actually use it in everyday talk. I've no idea why.
    To that poster in Rush, yep you're a Dub! :D We won't call it "Little Russia" anymore

Oh and I don't get this D4 thing, been to Ringsend lately?, it's no paradise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Wertz wrote: »
    I'd be far more revolted by the stream of west-brit/mid atlantic/SoCal/Dort accents that have emerged from Dublin in the past 20 years than I would by any of the real Dublin accents alluded to in the OP. The real Dub accent is slowly dieing and that's a shame.

The 'real Dub' accent (and the whole 'salt of the earth' bollocks that comes with it) is very overrated. Good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    The 'real Dub' accent (and the whole 'salt of the earth' bollocks that comes with it) is very overrated. Good riddance.

I strongly disagree, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

As convincing an arguement you make, i'll still keep calling my mother, "ma" thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Whats te storrie bud ?
    aka
    How are you ?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

2nd that, Me MA IS ME MA !

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Working on the end of the phone with all different accents ringing me all day... Its a hell of alot easier to understand a Dublin skanger, then a culchie...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

flynner13 wrote: »
    Working on the end of the phone with all different accents ringing me all day... Its a hell of alot easier to understand a Dublin skanger, then a culchie...

That's because they're the ones asking the retarded questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

you would want to redefine your statement, for such a small city dublin has a huge amount of different accents. i have friends from sutton and you can barely tell they are dubs if you hear them talk, as you go a bit further south from sutton ie kilbarrack, raheny, clontarf the accent gets stronger but still not that bad. go a bit west to ballymun and the accent become skanger, listening to a person from ballymun and sutton talk to each other is funny

as someone said the accents on those boys hanging around tara street, upper abbey street etc takes it to a different level completely, "stoooooory bud"

Advertisement