Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolting Dublin Accents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Nodin wrote: »
    For jaysus sake....Hang around the bustop beside the screen cinema on D'olier street a few days in a row. You'll here proper skangers there (not in the dark, don't dress like you have anything worth stroking).
    Tried that, but all I heard was ("I'm not racist but") Nigerian accents :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

all dublin accents are disgraceful.

ye sound like a bunch of knackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I hate every accent.

Including my own sometimes. It's still better than everybody else's.

Though I have noticed that Dublin accents have a great tendency to make my ears bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

ClioV6 wrote: »

That's us told.

That's us told.

It is actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Yeeeeech!!!

As a card carrying culchie,I was listening to the Radio today and almost chucked when I heard this guy articulating in the most fcukin revolting Dublin accent I have heard in yonks.

Led me to consider the long list of skangery Dublin accents amongst our 'revered'ones and my TopTen would be.

1.. Val Andrews
    2..Brian Kerr
    3..Des Cahill
    4..Colm McCarthy (Bord Snip)
    5.. Dermuid Ferritéar
    6.. John Murray
    7..Bill Cullen
    8.. Any of the Sheridan brothers
    9.. Bono
    10.. 95% of League of Ireland Managers.with honourable mention for Stephen Kenny.

These bring up the bile in me good time.

1. I've no idea who half those people even are.
    2. Of those I do know, only Brian Kerr and Bill Cullen have accents that could remotely be described as "skangery".
    3. I'm pretty sure Des Cahill is from Kildare.

All in all, I'd have to mark it down as a FAIL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No worries, just keep at your Playstation and Kerrang, good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Look on the bright side for once Flutther, it's nearly Santa's birthday.

Oh, you forgot Jwoooahhhhh Duffeh.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

No worries, just keep at your Playstation and Kerrang, good man.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

I'd happily be labelled a knacker provided that my spelling, punctuation and use of appropriate capitalisation were somewhere above the level of simian with severe mental retardation. Although I'm sure "ye" don't even see the inherent irony of your post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭IsMiseConor

I don't understand all this about accents. People either talk Cork, gay, Polish or normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Nobody with an Irish accent has any right to slag anyone else's accent, we all sound ridiculous anyway! We should all try to cultivate Scottish accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭IsMiseConor

Piste wrote: »
    Nobody with an Irish accent has any right to slag anyone else's accent, we all sound ridiculous anyway! We should all try to cultivate Scottish accents.

Even people from Cork?

Come on now, lets not say things we don't mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Even people from Cork?

especially people from Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

HA HA HA

I'm sorry this is so funny, there is no way I am going to be able to look at Val without laugh my ass off on monday, and I have a bloody CA aswell!!

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Rockee wrote: »
    Im from Rush, where we'e Dubs to culchies and culchies to Dubs so Rockees' bum is sitting nicely on the fence for this one. :P
    Leixlip.
    A small part of the town is in County Dublin (both Fingal and South) and another small part is in Meath. Most is in Kildare though.

I get the same stick whereever I go in the country.

Wertz wrote: »
    I'd be far more revolted by the stream of west-brit/mid atlantic/SoCal/Dort accents that have emerged from Dublin in the past 20 years than I would by any of the real Dublin accents alluded to in the OP. The real Dub accent is slowly dieing and that's a shame.
    You can tell who those people are on here by the way they put question marks at the end of statements.

My accent is the greatest accent in the world and women fall at my feet when I talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

And they all have bleedin arses. If you ask a Dub to do something that he doesn't want to do he will say I will in me bleeedin aaarse.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    And they all have bleedin arses. If you ask a Dub to do something that he doesn't want to do he will say I will in me bleeedin aaarse.

We also have a tendancy to bleed from the bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Terry wrote: »
    My accent is the greatest accent in the world and women fall at my feet when I talk to them.

The 'oul halitosis is an awful affliction, so it is.

• Advertisement

The worst is a drunk belfast accent.

Ugh.. say what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

I hate stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Davidius wrote: »
    I hate every accent.

Including my own sometimes. It's still better than everybody else's.

QFT.

I'd happily be labelled a knacker provided that my spelling, punctuation and use of appropriate capitalisation were somewhere above the level of simian with severe mental retardation. Although I'm sure "ye" don't even see the inherent irony of your post.

Well, considering sounding like a knacker has nothing to do with how one would type then I'm quite sure you don't see the stupidity of your post or I'm guessing you wouldn't have posted it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

most dubs are closet english men there so gay its not even funny....
    right mate? up munster and fu dubs..... yee babies run away when the goingg ets tough...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i like the way brian kerr talks... Seriously when I'm abroad the Dublin accent is usually the one I feel least embarassed by when I hear it spoken in front of others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    i like the way brian kerr talks... Seriously when I'm abroad the Dublin accent is usually the one I feel least embarassed by when I hear it spoken in front of others

:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

seems everywhere you go now they think their skanggers, even in D4...

Wannabes :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Elephant Monkey

Most of us (i think) can tell the difference between the various accents
    Loads of accents in and from Dublin: heres a few,
    Innercity dub street accent - swhaaar
    Oul dub inner city accent - 5 for fifty
    D4/D6 - Ryosh
    Dublin transatlantic - OMG
    Suburban Dublin - Depends on the area but alot of strong of swhaar wannabes, but also quite a good amount of neutral accents (just irish sounding)

I've heard some "yung fellas" shooting the breeze recently and I swear to god, I couldn't understand a single thing they were saying, it was fast, but deffo Dub! But sounded like a different language all together!

But we seem to be able to tell the difference from different regions in the UK and usually whereabouts in the USA by there accent! But they cannot hear the difference from our regions! It's just Irish!

For me, my accent I'd call it neutral, but the lads i grew up with have stronger dub accents, though one of the lads sound like he's from Sligo but all born and bred in D-blanch! I dunno about where your from or who you hang about with, but your parents have a huge influence in how you speak, I was always being corrected for my Th's eg: dis and dat = This and That. And if I had any twang of a Howaya or swhaar, my parents would be quick to correct me!
    Unfortunately people judge you on your accent before getting to know you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I remember there was a thread a few months ago in PI becuase this lad was afraid of his "salt of the Earth" Dub neighbour just becuase of his accent. I lolled.

Advertisement