Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolting Dublin Accents

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Well, considering sounding like a knacker has nothing to do with how one would type then I'm quite sure you don't see the stupidity of your post or I'm guessing you wouldn't have posted it.

Now that's better, isn't it? I was able to make sense of that post without squinting at the screen. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Most of us (i think) can tell the difference between the various accents
    Loads of accents in and from Dublin: heres a few,
    Innercity dub street accent - swhaaar
    Oul dub inner city accent - 5 for fifty
    D4/D6 - Ryosh
    Dublin transatlantic - OMG
    Suburban Dublin - Depends on the area but alot of strong of swhaar wannabes, but also quite a good amount of neutral accents (just irish sounding)

I've heard some "yung fellas" shooting the breeze recently and I swear to god, I couldn't understand a single thing they were saying, it was fast, but deffo Dub! But sounded like a different language all together!

But we seem to be able to tell the difference from different regions in the UK and usually whereabouts in the USA by there accent! But they cannot hear the difference from our regions! It's just Irish!

For me, my accent I'd call it neutral, but the lads i grew up with have stronger dub accents, though one of the lads sound like he's from Sligo but all born and bred in D-blanch! I dunno about where your from or who you hang about with, but your parents have a huge influence in how you speak, I was always being corrected for my Th's eg: dis and dat = This and That. And if I had any twang of a Howaya or swhaar, my parents would be quick to correct me!
    Unfortunately people judge you on your accent before getting to know you!

sadly i have to agree, you have to have the nice polite manner with the nice south side accent ( minus the ryosh bull ) but then again, ive a pretty fierce tounge on myself, hough i could never understand why everyone bar me doesnt pronounce H's after the T... i.e thin = tin

Rather retarded boys and girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

The only people I've ever heard who speak with no accent whatsoever (really, it's amazing!) are actors who play aliens in Star Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Terry wrote: »
    My accent is the greatest accent in the world and women fall at my feet when I talk to them.

It puts the lotion on it's skin?

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Now that's better, isn't it? I was able to make sense of that post without squinting at the screen. Well done.

Squinting at the screen is a natural reaction to when text is too small, not when slang is used.

Weird chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

S.I.R wrote: »
    sadly i have to agree, you have to have the nice polite manner with the nice south side accent ( minus the ryosh bull ) but then again, ive a pretty fierce tounge on myself, hough i could never understand why everyone bar me doesnt pronounce H's after the T... i.e thin = tin

Rather retarded boys and girls.

I wish you were my friend you seem really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Dublin accent is really terrible. I can't stand it.

No offense. But I hate ye jacks.

Except Puffum. She's alright in dlofnep's book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

dlofnep wrote: »
    No offense. But I hate ye jacks.

Dubs are the majority though and we have the biggest/best city so you're always going to hate us. We hate you just as much though, and if you're going to go abroad PLEASE take some elocution lessons you're making it embarassing for all of us with those hideous accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

'Crush-Proof' is on RTE2 right now and the Dub lads sound like cats caught in a lawnmower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Biggest City? Yes.

Best City? Absolutely not.

It's riddled in polution. To many people. No scenery (except for an spike). Everyone is always in a rush. Accents are filth. Crime is high.

I detest Dublin as a city. I'd much prefer Galway or Waterford over it anyday.

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    We hate you just as much though

No. We don't. I think it's better to be the bigger man and let them have a chip on their shoulder and a massive inferiority complex rather than to stoop to their level. Smug tolerance ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

the accent on the fella in the brenanns bread radio add drives me mental.... "brennans, tuuudayiz bread tuuudayyy..." hAHAHAHA

No. We don't. I think it's better to be the bigger man and let them have a chip on their shoulder and a massive inferiority complex rather than to stoop to their level. Smug tolerance ftw.

no you're right I usually try and adopt that stance but I got caught in the heat of the moment

tommmy1979 wrote: »
    the accent on the fella in the brenanns bread radio add drives me mental.... "brennans, tuuudayiz bread tuuudayyy..." hAHAHAHA

yeah, that's the revered "salt of the earth" accent that some people on this forum have hard-ons for, god only knows why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

How can such a small country be so full of regional crap?

Zynks wrote: »

Tribalism, social retardation and the self-loathing that comes with the over-consumption of alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Tribalism, social retardation and the self-loathing that comes with the over-consumption of alcohol?
    Self loathing it is then.

Terry wrote: »
    Self loathing it is then.

Or perhaps even a collective fear of boards.ie moderators has driven everyone a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Or perhaps even a collective fear of boards.ie moderators has driven everyone a bit mad.
    Or perhaps you overestimate the power that moderators on this site actually have.

We all have to answer to the Admins at some stage and if we fúck up then we are banned.

• Advertisement

Zynks wrote: »

Oh shut up... vive le difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I hate the fake "D4" holier than thou type accents, I also hate the accents that are comparable to a clapped out moped. The real Dublin accents are pure class. I don't know how to describe it, but I hear it a lot around dun laoghaire and blackrock. I don't know how to explain it that well, sorry :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

tommmy1979 wrote: »
    Oh shut up... vive le difference

Yeaahhh maaaan Fairrr PPlaaayyy te ya buuud
    No warrrr I mmmeeaaaaann!!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I hate the fake "D4" holier than thou type accents, I also hate the accents that are comparable to a clapped out moped. The real Dublin accents are pure class. I don't know how to describe it, but I hear it a lot around dun laoghaire and blackrock. I don't know how to explain it that well, sorry :P

No thats not dublin Thats a **** accent :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,865 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Give me a solid Dublin brogue over a fucking "Happy Out" bogger ear sore any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

An bhfuil sibh ag magadh faoi mo chanúint áitiúil? Náire oraibh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Jesus D18 Sandyford/Stepaside accents, F*CKED UP! Yuppie wannabie loo laa's, I know some lads who are in the Motor Industry and every time they go near D18 on business, they end up dealing with an absolute pr*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The Dublin salt o' dee ert accent is skanky out... that bloody Biddy Mulligan intonation that goes with it... oh Christ, my head!

De wuurst oufenders aare Damien Richardson (in fact anyone involved with "Pats", "Rouvers" or "Bouwhes") and dat oul Mistor Brennan, wit 'ees peedafuyel laugh, hahahaha... interfeerdin wit children says he? Hangin around outsoyid de skewl wirra baag a sweets, says I!

Special mention for Twink, who tries to posh it up, but doesn't quite manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I think the decline of the old Dublin accent also has a direct correlation with the decline of any character the city once had. My accent would be regarded as a reasonably common dublin accent and i'm glad of it.

For example,

I'd tell me ma i'm goin to wurk.

as opposed to the nouveau riche Dublin accent where

I'd tell mam, i'm going to werk.

I quite like different variations of the Irish accent no matter how strong, i like a lot of the country saying and expressions. I lived with a fella a couple of years ago from Donegal and thought it was gas how he'd say "wile" and "hi" at every hands turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have the worst accent...a Bray one.

Not quite Dublin, not quite Wicklow, just horrible.

Advertisement