Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolting Dublin Accents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I think the decline of the old Dublin accent also has a direct correlation with the decline of any character the city once had. My accent would be regarded as a reasonably common dublin accent and i'm glad of it.

For example,

I'd tell me ma i'm goin to wurk.

as opposed to the nouveau riche Dublin accent where

I'd tell mam, i'm going to werk.

I quite like different variations of the Irish accent no matter how strong, i like a lot of the country saying and expressions. I lived with a fella a couple of years ago from Donegal and thought it was gas how he'd say "wile" and "hi" at every hands turn.

I'm in Donegal a bit, they love that word "wile"
    I heard a curry being described as "wile mild"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Are you sure it wasn't described as "wile mild hi"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The Liverpool women love my Dublin accent .Must be something I'm saying ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Liverpool women!

Wouldn't exactly say that was a plus ,to be honest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

latchyco wrote: »
    Must be something I'm saying

"10 grand for a blowie" will do that.....

• Advertisement

Liverpool women!

Wouldn't exactly say that was a plus ,to be honest
    That the best you can do .Were talking about accents .

Liverpool womon Rock !
    "10 grand for a blowie" will do that.....
    Your being ripped off !

Point I was making is that Liverpool women are not noted for their appreciation of the finer arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Point I was making is that Liverpool women are not noted for their appreciation of the finer arts.

Merseyful hour! There's no exscouse for those kind of sweeping generalisations.

No your just using the merseyside women reference as sidestep to your post which is about revolting dublin accents (of which you have being slated ) . .Now your showing your iggnorence about Liverpool women .Generalisation indeed :rolleyes:

What bothers you most , by Dublin accent or my relationships with nice Liverpool women ?

Grudging applause for that pun.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

latchyco wrote: »
    No your just using the merseyside women reference as sidestep to your post which is about revolting dublin accents (of which you have being slated ) . .Now your showing your iggnorence about Liverpool women .Generalisation indeed :rolleyes:

What bothers you most , by Dublin accent of my relationships with nice Liverpool women ?

I am suggesting that the fact that Liverpool women like the Dublin accent is nothing to boast about.

Their taste is not very high to be honest.

I wouldn't promulgate that too widely if I were you.

Like Pikeys saying they like fish & chips and then taking that as a good thing!!

get a grip buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The worst accent I've heard in some time must from be Lisa Murphy of superhoofer Michael Flatley fame. This bint is from Ballinteer, although she tells everyone she is actually from Dundrum! I know a few people from the same estate as her in Ballinteer and they all sound perfectly normal, but poor auld Lisa talks as if she has the heel off one of her shoes shoved up her arse...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Darragh29 wrote: »
    The worst accent I've heard in some time must from be Lisa Murphy of superhoofer Michael Flatley fame. This bint is from Ballinteer, although she tells everyone she is actually from Dundrum! I know a few people from the same estate as her in Ballinteer and they all sound perfectly normal, but poor auld Lisa talks as if she has the heel off one of her shoes shoved up her arse...

I have to agree, it is so so fake and forced. It's actually embarrassing; and not at all classy!

I am suggesting that the fact that Liverpool women like the Dublin accent is nothing to boast about.

Their taste is not very high to be honest.

I wouldn't promulgate that too widely if I were you.

Like Pikeys saying they like fish & chips and then taking that as a good thing!!

get a grip buddy.
    My slant on liverpool women liking Dublin accents was as much an appaluse on My accent as to Dublin accents in General .of which I am aware are good bad and indifferent ( just like anywere else ,ie cork , limerick , belfast )

Taste are not high ? As opposed to Dublin/Irish women ? :confused: You know about Liverpool womon ? I could not make such a sweeping statement about any women in any city be it manchester dublin or anywere.

Get a grip .? Bad accents are like bad people .They are everywere ,every town, village and city has them .

Yes indeed, you have a good point there.

I hear what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

javaboy wrote: »
    Merseyful hour! There's no exscouse for those kind of sweeping generalisations.
    All right, all right, calm down, calm down!!

I suppose there were always irritating dublin accents .Liverpool to has it's fair share of dull and bland accents but some speak much much better than others .Some are even quite poshhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

Strange to think that the scouse accent is a combination of Lancashire and Dublin eseeeeee .:)

Steve Mc Manaman... jaysus

Steve Mc Manaman... jaysus
    Ya No war i meen ? .

( would you belive
    I have this dudes authograph from his liverpool playing days )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Yeeeeech!!!

As a card carrying culchie,I was listening to the Radio today and almost chucked when I heard this guy articulating in the most fcukin revolting Dublin accent I have heard in yonks.

Led me to consider the long list of skangery Dublin accents amongst our 'revered'ones and my TopTen would be.

1.. Val Andrews
    2..Brian Kerr
    3..Des Cahill
    4..Colm McCarthy (Bord Snip)
    5.. Dermuid Ferritéar
    6.. John Murray
    7..Bill Cullen
    8.. Any of the Sheridan brothers
    9.. Bono
    10.. 95% of League of Ireland Managers.with honourable mention for Stephen Kenny.

These bring up the bile in me good time.
    I dont mind normal Dublin accents but i hate posh D4 types and the way they talk.

• Advertisement

Listen to Davy Keogh on Sportscall RTE1.... revolting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Good evening Flutts. Pighead's intrigued as to what your dulcet tones sound like. In his mind you speak in a twang which resembles one of d'unbelievables crossed with Miley from Glenroe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Pighead wrote: »
    Good evening Flutts. Pighead's intrigued as to what your dulcet tones sound like. In his mind you speak in a twang which resembles one of d'unbelievables crossed with Miley from Glenroe.

ah the Pig ...the erudite one..or so he(?) thinks.. what do u sound like..my call is west waterford pikey......huh

ah the Pig ...the erudite one..or so he(?) thinks.. what do u sound like..my call is west waterford pikey......huh
    Hey ya Fluts. Being from the north east of the country you'd be a wee bit off kilter with your guess there buddy. Think James Bond crossed with John F Kennedy and you'd be fairly close.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Hey ya Fluts. Being from the north east of the country you'd be a wee bit off kilter with your guess there buddy. Think James Bond crossed with John F Kennedy and you'd be fairly close.

You must be some womaniser Piggy.

javaboy wrote: »
    You must be some womaniser Piggy.
    Unfortunately not. Whenever Pighead talks to a girl his voice changes dramatically and his tone turns into a cross of Steve Staunton and Jimmy Krankie. Lucky enough Miss Piggy loves both their voices so thankfully Pighead won't be spending a lifetime alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

theres a female presenter on spin 1038 whos voice kills me.very d4ish.her speech is exaggerated and over the top all the time.cant think of her name but she needs a smack!

Unfortunately not. Whenever Pighead talks to a girl his voice changes dramatically and his tone turns into a cross of Steve Staunton and Jimmy Krankie. Lucky enough Miss Piggy loves both their voices so thankfully Pighead won't be spending a lifetime alone.

Good reply Piglet...nice one..right fcukin clever bonham :D

Everybody knows that Liverpool is alive with Pikes an Scallies....fcukin **** town to be honest.

Liverpool women ?? mmm think I'll pass ..:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hey ya Fluts. Being from the north east of the country you'd be a wee bit off kilter with your guess there buddy. Think Jim Corr crossed with Steve Staunton and you'd be fairly close.

Fixed...

Advertisement