Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolting Dublin Accents

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

dlofnep wrote: »
    Biggest City? Yes.

Best City? Absolutely not.

It's riddled in polution. To many people. No scenery (except for an spike). Everyone is always in a rush. Accents are filth. Crime is high.

I detest Dublin as a city. I'd much prefer Galway or Waterford over it anyday.

Oh cop yourself on, Waterford is a backwater. Don't be so parochial. No surprises that you are from there.

Depends when people say a Dublin accent. A strong Dublin northside accent is horrible. It is so manky. An exaggerated D4 accent is ridiculous. A neutral dublin "news reader accent" is probably the one that should be used to represent the country.

Generally no matter where there from as long as it's neutral. Everyone is going to have a tone of where they are from but as long as it's not pure bog, unintelligible nordie or skanger dub then it's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

Hub wrote: »
    Oh cop yourself on, Waterford is a backwater. Don't be so parochial. No surprises that you are from there.

Oh FFS, this is a perfect example of why people from the country can sometimes dislike Dublin - the erroneous attitude held my many (though a minority) of Dubs that Ireland outside the Pale must be a bucolic ****ehole, and that its inhabitants are narrow-minded, parochial and ill-educated.

As for Waterford: it may be a backwater, but damn it, it's MY backwater! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Being watching the (boring yawn ) news again ?
    Everybody knows that Liverpool is alive with Pikes an Scallies....fcukin **** town to be honest.

Liverpool women ?? mmm think I'll pass ..:eek:
    Everybody knows that Manchester is alive with Pikes an Scallies....fcukin **** town to be honest.

Everybody knows that Glasgow is alive with Pikes an Scallies....fcukin **** town to be honest.

Everybody knows that Birmingham is alive with Pikes an Scallies....fcukin **** town to be honest.

Everybody knows that Newcastle is alive with Pikes an Scallies....fcukin **** town to be honest.

Everybody knows that Bristol is alive with Pikes an Scallies....fcukin **** town to be honest.

Everybody knows that Leeds is alive with Pikes an Scallies....fcukin **** town to be honest.

Everybody knows that Belfast is alive with Pikes an Scallies....fcukin **** town to be honest.

Everybody knows that London is alive with Pikes an Scallies....fcukin **** town to be honest.

Pikes an Scallies....? a reflection of society on the whole and not just one Engllish / Irish city ..get the gist ? ;)

Psst - Have left Dublin out .Enough threads on here over the years dissing about there own pikes and scallies ...fcuking **** town to be honest !

such as this chaps http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055431101

And just out of intrest Fulton prey tell what oasis of splendour you live in/come from / moved to ?

http://www.liverpool-one.com/website/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Melange wrote: »
    Oh FFS, this is a perfect example of why people from the country can sometimes dislike Dublin - the erroneous attitude held my many (though a minority) of Dubs that Ireland outside the Pale must be a bucolic ****ehole, and that its inhabitants are narrow-minded, parochial and ill-educated.

Yeah roysh, I pretty much think that about everyone from outside of Dublin. I can't help myself, you know. Are you saying that people from the country are, loike, similar to us or something? If so, then how come you don't have, loike, the Dort?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

Yeah roysh, I pretty much think that about everyone from outside of Dublin. I can't help myself, you know. Are you saying that people from the country are, loike, similar to us or something? If so, then how come you don't have, loike, the Dort?

The Dart goes all the way out to Greystones. To a man like you - doubtlessly a true-blue Dub - isn't that the country? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Melange wrote: »
    The Dart goes all the way out to Greystones. To a man like you - doubtlessly a true-blue Dub - isn't that the country? ;)

No fockwing way! You're completely roysh of course. Wow! Thanks for, loike, opening my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Elocution (sp?) lessons should be mandatory in all Dublin city and county schools. Eliminate that terrible accent, the skangery dublin one and the D4 one aswell!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm from Clondalkin but people always ask me if I'm American :( I hate my accent, it's from watching too much American TV as a child I think.

But still, at least I don't sound like a feckin' muck savage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I still shudder at the thought but in the early 90's my job moved me to Clare to work (bastards) and I thought I was in a different country. Couldn't understand a fcuking word the local yokels spoke in their mumbling, grumbling gutteral snarl. Christ I almost starved as buying food was an ordeal especially when you couldn't understand the language of the "missing link" locals.

And it wasn't just me who had difficulties understanding the local pondscum as some visiting yanks once asked me to translate what one of the local oikes was saying. Despite my own difficulties with the baboons language, I knew that basically the local apes were just looking for money from the yanks - isn't that why they invented Shannon airport, to rip off the americans as they passed through?:P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

jaysus:eek:

Lot of anger in that post Daithi. Kildare?? isn't that the place where everyone talks through their noses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I like the old dublin accent that you sometimes hear from the older generations. The modern dublin accent, be it D4, tallaght, city centre or northside just reeks of self-righteousness and a twisted sense of entitlement.

They reek of a delusion of adequacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

Elocution (sp?) lessons should be mandatory in all Dublin city and county schools. Eliminate that terrible accent, the skangery dublin one and the D4 one aswell!! :D

pft if cork goes first fine

jaysus:eek:

Lot of anger in that post Daithi. Kildare?? isn't that the place where everyone talks through their noses.

Damn right on both counts there pal -

Ennis is a sh1thole and Kildare people do actually all sound like Charlie McCreevey. I can tell seeing as I'm not from Kildare, I've just brought some civilisation to it from the nortsoide of Dubalin kinda like the missionaries of old :p

BTW, are you afraid to admit where you're from flutterin???

Certainly not David, from South Galway.

Certainly not David, from South Galway.

A fine place to live Flutterin. Weekend trips to Galway saved my sanity when living in Clare.

BTW I was just curious seein' as your sig stated that you refused to identify your locale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Culchies are lesser people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

How did joe duffy not make the list?

for shame

A fine place to live Flutterin. Weekend trips to Galway saved my sanity when living in Clare.

BTW I was just curious seein' as your sig stated that you refused to identify your locale

Aaah yes, I was "perched on the pewter" but due to 'constraints' I cannot mention things of that nature for some time.

It's a bit complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

The thing that pisses me off is when people who are from Dublin go down to the likes of Waterford or Cork for a weekend there is a high chance someone will be mouthing off at you or even starting on you for just being from Dublin

Yet when these people come up to Dublin, Dubs don't blink an eyelid

The amount of times I've been abused and even confronted in Cork and Laois for simply having a relativly neutral Dublin accent is sickening. Im out with my cousins from these counties and once my accent is heard people are giving me looks.

People from these places then have the cheek to call all Dubs scumbags yet there just as bad if not worse themselves

It's amazing how much bother someone can get for simply having an accent

Boohoo Dub16! I'm a ginger I get the haters whereever I go!

Charley Haughey had a particularly annoying accent.

• Advertisement

ClioV6 wrote: »
    YE sound like a bunch of knackers.

And You (plural) all sound like Jon Kenny (the less famous one from D'Unbelievables) in the Eurovision Episode of Fr. Ted before he goes on stage. Yes, all of you......."shave a bullock etc."

Also you (singular) do realise that saying "Ye" is equivalent to the knackeriest Dublin scumbag saying "Youse", don't you?

Lessons in Dressing and History should be mandatory in all schools down the bog so that you don't come up here every Dec 8th in a pair of Lee jeans with a red and blue checked shirt tucked into your wellies.
    The thing that pisses me off is when people who are from Dublin go down to the likes of Waterford or Cork for a weekend there is a high chance someone will be mouthing off at you or even starting on you for just being from Dublin

Yet when these people come up to Dublin, Dubs don't blink an eyelid

The amount of times I've been abused and even confronted in Cork and Laois for simply having a relativly neutral Dublin accent is sickening. Im out with my cousins from these counties and once my accent is heard people are giving me looks.

People from these places then have the cheek to call all Dubs scumbags yet there just as bad if not worse themselves

It's amazing how much bother someone can get for simply having an accent

Agreed. Got a box in the mush off some plough-jockey outside a chipper in Cobh one night for "being a scumbag". When my then girlfriend pointed out the irony in him acting the scumbag, he turns to her and says "Don't be such a smayart-arse with your big words, Sure all ye Dubs think you're better than us now "dún do gob before i dún it for ya". Purely anecdotal, I know, but not the 1st time i've encountered hostility for no reason.

If anyone disagrees, tell me how many of you would expect trouble (and for whom) if two 20-something lads in Dublin jersies walked into your local back in the shticks?

Also, Luke Kelly has the greatest singing voice ever. FACT!

EDIT: @ Flutt.....I've no idea who half of those fnckers are, but I'd agree with you that the ones i do recognise I'd agree that they have horrible accents. Just cause they're from the Dublin though? C'mon.......when are ya gonna start a "Revolting Culchie Accent" thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Boohoo Dub16! I'm a ginger I get the haters whereever I go!

Charley Haughey had a particularly annoying accent.

Thats cos his mouth was stuffed with money ,that noise was no accent it was the sound of merc's ,armani shirts ,yachts ,and your belt Tightening!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Yeeeeech!!!

As a card carrying culchie,I was listening to the Radio today and almost chucked when I heard this guy articulating in the most fcukin revolting Dublin accent I have heard in yonks.

Led me to consider the long list of skangery Dublin accents amongst our 'revered'ones and my TopTen would be.

1.. Val Andrews
    2..Brian Kerr
    3..Des Cahill
    4..Colm McCarthy (Bord Snip)
    5.. Dermuid Ferritéar
    6.. John Murray
    7..Bill Cullen
    8.. Any of the Sheridan brothers
    9.. Bono
    10.. 95% of League of Ireland Managers.with honourable mention for Stephen Kenny.

These bring up the bile in me good time.

Des Cahill? Bono?

They have "skanger" accents?

Are you insane or what?

I've heard very few crazier statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Whats te storrie bud ?
    aka
    How are you ?:)

That's not the real Dublin accent. That's a relatively new bastardised version that has caught on with alarming popularity with idiots.

A proper old style Dublin accent, I hate using this example because it's almost a piss take at this stage, would be something like "old Mr Brennan" from the radio ads. It's rarely heard these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

That's not the real Dublin accent. That's a relatively new bastardised version that has caught on with alarming popularity with idiots.

A proper old style Dublin accent, I hate using this example because it's almost a piss take at this stage, would be something like "old Mr Brennan" from the radio ads. It's rarely heard these days.

Deffo ,better than listening to this crap

"Fccuukk awwff will ye fer fcukkk sake!"
    "Jaysus fer fcukk sake giz a blo of yer joint or ill batter yeh"

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I had to watch My Left Foot a ridiculous amount of times for my LC and almost cried when they said it was on again when I repeated...the accents on it are horrible. Fair City accents are awful too. It's much easier to sit down and listen to a Connemara farmer...

L

I

Also, Luke Kelly has the greatest singing voice ever. FACT!

Agree with you on that.

EDIT: @ Flutt.....I've no idea who half of those fnckers are, but I'd agree with you that the ones i do recognise I'd agree that they have horrible accents. Just cause they're from the Dublin though? C'mon.......when are ya gonna start a "Revolting Culchie Accent" thread?

Who the fcuk have you not heard of??? National figures buddy.

FFS where have you been for the last 10 years??

In the fookin jungle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I wonder what foreign users of Boards must think of the Irish. If there aren't threads about culchie/Dublin accents, there are threads complaining about which counties are the worst. Then there are the ''Dublin jackeen vs. boggers'' threads that pop up with alarming regularity. It must seem bizarre that such a small country can have so much in-fighting. And that's before anyone mentions the North...

Then again, slagging each other off is the national sport.

Acacia wrote: »
    Then again, slagging each other off is the national sport.

I thought drinking 15 pints a night, getting sick in shop doorways and then batin' the living sh1te outta each other in Abrakestabra was the national sport? :confused::confused::confused:
    Who the fcuk have you not heard of??? National figures buddy.

Check list:

1.. Val Andrews..........................................Nope
    2..Brian Kerr......................................................Yep
    3..Des Cahill..............................................Nope
    4..Colm McCarthy (Bord Snip).......................Nope
    5.. Dermuid Ferritéar...................................Nope
    6.. John Murray.........................................Nope
    7..Bill Cullen.......................................................Yep
    8.. Any of the Sheridan brothers...................Nope
    9.. Bono............................................................Yep (unfortunately).
    10.. 95% of LOI managers /Stephen Kenny..............Yep

FFS where have you been for the last 10 years??!

In the jax Flutt, in the bleedin' Ruby Wax......taking your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Cainer

One of the most annoying Dublin accents that I've ever heard has to be Dustin the Turkeys. His supposedly common accent just sounds like some poshie trying to put one on. :mad:

When he pronounces the word "work" as "werk" it drives me up the wall. Does anyone really use this pronunciation in Dublin?

Advertisement