Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolting Dublin Accents

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

And You (plural) all sound like Jon Kenny (the less famous one from D'Unbelievables) in the Eurovision Episode of Fr. Ted before he goes on stage. Yes, all of you......."shave a bullock etc."

Also you (singular) do realise that saying "Ye" is equivalent to the knackeriest Dublin scumbag saying "Youse", don't you?

Rather sound like that, than sound like a knacker.

oh and you do realise that 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you' all over Ireland by a lot of people?
    Or did you just think you were being smart to say that?

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Rather sound like that, than sound like a knacker.

oh and you do realise that 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you' all over Ireland by a lot of people?
    Or did you just think you were being smart to say that?

I do realise it's used all over Ireland, what i'm trying to convey is that it is grammatically incorrect to do so, as grammatically incorrect to use "youse" was my original point. The fact that everyone is doing it, doesn't make it right.

Ergo, you're akin to a Dublin 'knacker', at least in a lexicographical manner. (Now I am trying to be smart).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ye
    1   /yi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [yee] Show IPA Pronunciation ,
    –pronoun
    1. Archaic (except in some elevated or ecclesiastical prose), Literary, or British Dialect.
    a. (used nominatively as the plural of thou, esp. in rhetorical, didactic, or poetic contexts, in addressing a group of persons or things): O ye of little faith; ye brooks and hills.
    b. (used nominatively for the second person singular, esp. in polite address): Do ye not know me?
    c. (used objectively in the second person singular or plural): I have something to tell ye. Arise, the enemy is upon ye!
    2. (used with mock seriousness in an invocation, mild oath, or the like): Ye gods and little fishes!

youse
       /yuz; unstressed yəz, yɪz/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [yooz; unstressed yuhz, yiz] Show IPA Pronunciation
    –pronoun Nonstandard.
    you (usually used in addressing two or more people).

well they're both in the dictionary eh

so your attempt to be smart went down the drain anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Just heard Ronan Gilligan AA Roadwatch saying "snow is falling heavy"...heavily sunshine.

There's another so called posher Dub accent I hate.. "Fludding" instead of "flooding"

"T" seems to be the letter that fooks up the Doob big time.

Lotto=Lottho or Loh'o
    What= Whah or whor
    Sympathetic= Symparetic or Sympaththethic

The list goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Lotto=Lottho or Loh'o
    What= Whah or whor
    Sympathetic= Symparetic or Sympaththethic

The list goes on[/quote]

afraid=afrared
    twice=twiced
    my bollox=me bollox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

People need to get out more if all they can worrie about are the accents of the people around them. Seriously the only time you need to bothered by it even just a little is when (in the case of Dublin) it's the put on Knacker or D4 accents, neither of which are real Dublin accents. when it comes to people from the country all Dubs need to worrie about is if they can understand what they are saying, if you can then what's the big fcuking deal it's not as if they are speaking Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

The accent is top of the list of reasons why I have always avoided Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

chakotha wrote: »
    The accent is top of the list of reasons why I have always avoided Dublin!

I'm sure Dublin can survive quite well without one more country bumpkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I always felt there was variety in Dublin accents. I've made friends in Dublin who have well spoken and clear accents, and friends I've almost needed a translator for at first.

The list goes on

Cousint = Aunt's son
    Hostible = full of sick people
    Crips = taytos
    Ascairt = in fear of
    Foy-iv = less than 6, more than 4
    Fillum = movie
    Herr'ild = nuachtán
    b'day-its = Shpuds
    Gerrowadatgarden = Gerr'up da yard = Are you serious?
    etc.

Fantastic vernacular altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I'm sure Dublin can survive quite well without one more country bumpkin.

Ahem, Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DARKIZE

I can't understand a word once I get over the Liffey onto the southside.

Now I'm off for my dinner of coddle and Dutch Gold ;)

LoL @ Cork person thinking they aren't a culchie.

Don't you geddit?

Outside Dublin = "The Country"
    People from "The Country" = Culchies
    Cork (incl. Cork City) = Outside Dublin

Just replace country bumpkin with Culchie and, bingo....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

LoL @ Cork person thinking they aren't a culchie.

Don't you geddit?

Outside Dublin = "The Country"
    People from "The Country" = Culchies
    Cork (incl. Cork City) = Outside Dublin

Just replace country bumpkin with Culchie and, bingo....

I was always under the impression that Dubliners were unaware of the existence of anything 'outside Dublin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Aldebaran wrote: »
    I was always under the impression that Dubliners were unaware of the existence of anything 'outside Dublin'.

Of course we're aware. Why do you think we built a big feckin' wall? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

javaboy wrote: »
    Of course we're aware. Why do you think we built a big feckin' wall? :pac:

To stop people from escaping?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

Aldebaran wrote: »

:eek: theres something outside Dublin???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

yeah, evryone knows us dubs rule the henhouse europeanly speaking. they all a-spire (get it!) to be like us. who woodent? last year mtv voted dublin the most lived in european capital by its curent residents. when you tink about it we have so much more than udder cities of ireland/europe/world. check de stats: smithfield-one of the biggest stone plazas in the world. libery hall-one of the tallest skyscrapers in europe. macdonalds in rathfarnham- first drive through in the world. the MGM lion - from dublin zoo. lassy the dog- from the dspca. flipper the dolphin- origionally from dublin bay. sure why else are so many forein peoples moving here, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I watched the commitments a few times .Perhaps that filum explores the diversity of Dub accents more than any .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

the scumitments :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Nare a dub 4 accent to be heard in the scumittments ,least not that I remember :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Yeeeeech!!!

As a card carrying culchie,I was listening to the Radio today and almost chucked when I heard this guy articulating in the most fcukin revolting Dublin accent I have heard in yonks.

Led me to consider the long list of skangery Dublin accents amongst our 'revered'ones and my TopTen would be.

1.. Val Andrews
    2..Brian Kerr
    3..Des Cahill
    4..Colm McCarthy (Bord Snip)
    5.. Dermuid Ferritéar
    6.. John Murray
    7..Bill Cullen
    8.. Any of the Sheridan brothers
    9.. Bono
    10.. 95% of League of Ireland Managers.with honourable mention for Stephen Kenny.

These bring up the bile in me good time.
    I dont see anything wrong in someone speaking in their natural accent,its these americanised D4 accents i cant stand and you get versions of it in Cork,where im from ,as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I didn't read of all of this thread.

The worst Dublin accent is the drug addicts accent from the north side, the ones in the south side are probably in rehab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I know two people from limerick, who both have put on "D4" accents..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Culchie accents are terrible, Dublin ones are worse. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jonathandarcy

and i suppose you have a great accent do you ??? so great you hadnt the balls to say where ur from ..... and all you culchies sound the same so stay out of the capital and go ****k ur sister up the arse a.p.u. you backward pig fooker

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

and i suppose you have a great accent do you ??? so great you hadnt the balls to say where ur from ..... and all you culchies sound the same so stay out of the capital and go ****k ur sister up the arse a.p.u. you backward pig fooker

ROCK BAND!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I see Jonners is "stuck on 2"" would have shown promise in a forum east of here.

I hear this one a lot lately from the young and gifted.."Loike duhh dude.some of us have to 'werik' for a living loike" and "can you text that to my 'feunne'

I'm presume they mean 'work' and 'phone'.:confused:

Advertisement