Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Noisy fan or T Belt?

Options
  • 14-12-2008 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I own a 99 VW golf. Every mornin when I start car there is a screeching from the fan belt or timing belt. It only lasts 5 mins and then stops. It only happens when I start the car initially in mornin or when the weather damp.
    I brought it to a garage and they changed the fan belt but still was the same problem. Then I brought it to another garage and they said it was probably the timing belt needed changing. I asked a friend of mine and he said its not timing belt its fan belt but i already got that changed. Any advice would be really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Why did you bring it to 2 different garages?

Bring it back to the first garage you visited and tell them it's still happening. It could be an incorrectly tensioned fan belt, pulley/ancillary problem or a fault with the timing belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It sounds like a fan belt. It could also be the tensioner for either belt. One thing is certain, it's not the timing belt that is slipping. If it is the timing belt tensioner that's at fault then it would be a good idea to replace the belt at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Mechanic in second garage said it might worth replacing pulleys if going change timing belt. Is this necessary and how much would it cost roughly? Would i be able to get mechanic to do this as a nixer or is it a big job.

Thanks for yer replies

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

My Ibiza 1.9D does the same, once its warmed up its fine. It is annoying though, years ago my dads Cavalier had a noisy fan belt, far worst than mine, it was sorted by getting a genuine belt for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sounds like the fanbelt is still slipping, who ever fit it didn't do it right. Unless it's a pulley etc. Main thing is, bring it back to the garage who "fixed it".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

what engine is in it ?? its possible the timing belt tensioner or pulleys are seized / worn its common get it checked professionally you dont want the t-belt to snap,
    some of the golfs have a clutch type pulley on the altenator which can be noisy as well if you take off the alt belt the pulley should freewheel in one direction and lock in the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

JOHNPT wrote: »
    I own a 99 VW golf. Every mornin when I start car there is a screeching from the fan belt or timing belt. It only lasts 5 mins and then stops. It only happens when I start the car initially in mornin or when the weather damp.
    I brought it to a garage and they changed the fan belt but still was the same problem. Then I brought it to another garage and they said it was probably the timing belt needed changing. I asked a friend of mine and he said its not timing belt its fan belt but i already got that changed. Any advice would be really appreciated

(1) Is your timing belt due??? If it is, get it replaced regardless of what advice you have been given..

(2) It could be the alternator pulley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Its a 1999 1.9 TDi. Can anyone recommend good garage not too expensive in south Dublin to get work done or roughly how much it will cost.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement