Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry (in December?!)

Options
  • 14-12-2008 6:34pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it worth driving the Ring of Kerry in December? I was thinking of doing this sometime between xmas day and New Years Eve.

Will it be too dark to see anything? Will anything be open along the way?

How long does it take?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Be aware that parts of the road are high so may be slippy, when you ask what's open do you mean shops etc or attractions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Well if you leave earlyish in the morning you should have enough time before it gets dark.It takes most of a day to see things and take in views and a bit of grub,im not sure what will be open though,maybe bring a packed lunch or something similar to be sure.
    If you do go,go on a good day,it would be a nice trip on a clear cold day.
    The last time i did this trip was during the summer by motorbike:cool:.
    ring_of_kerry_map.jpg

Derrynane..

View-from-Ring-of-Kerry.jpg

Ladies view...
    ireland.ring.kerry1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

It's a very long way right round the Ring even in the summer. But if you get a bright clear day, you might consider breaking off at Cahirciveen and doing the shorter but very pretty Ring of Skelligs, taking in Valentia Island (ferry closed in winter but bridge from Portmagee open) and finishing up at Waterville with a nice meal. Rain has been known in the area during December. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks for the very informative replies!

byhookorbycrook, yes I want to know if both attractions, shops, restaurants, etc are open.

carchaeologist, nice pics.

Oliverdog, good advice - I'll bear it in mind.

Keep the advice coming. I will refer back to this thread in a few weeks and note the directions / details you have provided. Cheers.

BossArky, whatever you choose, you'll be very welcome.

Just by the way, I heard a story from a British neighbour who drove four visitors this summer around the Ring of Kerry. She gave them a helpful commentary about the various sights, but glancing in her mirror towards the end of the tour she realised that she was the only one in the car still awake!

• Advertisement

Oliverdog wrote: »
    taking in Valentia Island (ferry closed in winter but bridge from Portmagee open) and finishing up at Waterville with a nice meal.
    Yes,we went by the ferry and back again by the bridge when we did it on the bikes,it was a nice detour,pity the ferry is not open in the winter,i suppose its due to low numbers of people using it.
    Rain has been known in the area during December.
    And 330 other days of the year it seems!:p;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Bianconi in Killorglin good for bar food.
    Beach at Glenbeigh worth the detour, will clear any cobwebs!
    Staigue fort is interesting,presume it is open all yr. Some similar forts across the bridge in Cahirciveen by the rather mad building that looks like something from Bavaria. Derrynane house is small but interesting.
    If you come back through Kenmare there are lots of places to eat, Landsdown lodge is fine, nothing wild but would fill a void. If you come over the hills, avoca handweavers have a shop and cafe with good cafe food.

Really,the main attractions are hill,sky and sea, enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Envy. It's a great experience. +1 for Cahirciveen for coffee/lunch/museum and Derrynane House.

And even better with the road(s) being quiet. (Contrast the Dingle at Eastertime when it's nose to tail).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

BossArky wrote: »
    Is it worth driving the Ring of Kerry in December? I was thinking of doing this sometime between xmas day and New Years Eve.

Will it be too dark to see anything? Will anything be open along the way?

How long does it take?

Thanks.

OP Hey, if you do decide to go ahead and travel down this way over the coming days/week, I hope that you post some feedback and a picture or three. I for one have only ever done the "ring" during the heights of the tourist seasons but it should be something special this time of the year also

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

hey op,
    im open to correction, but if the buses are still doing tours around the Ring in december, make sure you go anti-clockwise.
    The roads are narrow and the general agreement is that you go in the same directions as the buses. otherwise you just might cause a traffic jam and have to reverse a few miles to be able to pull in somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Just to update this thread....

I didn't make it down to Kerry in the end. The days are a bit short right now. I think I will come back and do it sometime between April and September.

Thanks for the input all - much appreciated.

BossArky wrote: »
    Just to update this thread....

I didn't make it down to Kerry in the end. The days are a bit short right now. I think I will come back and do it sometime between April and September.

Thanks for the input all - much appreciated.
    Let us know when you do,and how it goes:)

It's a shame you didn't make it. The weather has been dry and quite clear here ever since Christmas. Wouldn't you know it?

Come soon - life's short! :)

Oliverdog wrote: »
    The weather has been dry and quite clear here ever since Christmas. Wouldn't you know it
    Very true,i drove to dingle christmas morning,and it was like this up the conor pass,it was a great morning for driving.The entire two weeks before this week were very good.
    Image889.jpg

Advertisement