Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dehumidifiers

Options
  • 14-12-2008 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with dehumidifiers?

I want to reduce the relative humidity in a garage which is internally 700 sq ft from about mid 70's down to about 30-35%.

The temperature in the garage by and large in the winter is 5 degrees warmer than outside so not overly hot!

Does anyone know what size dehumidifier would be required?

I also read how some dehumidifiers actually produce heat and for every kw used in electricity produce 2.5 kw's of usable warm air which sounds like a plan for heating the garage in a more efficient manner.

I am also finding it very hard to accurately get an answer as to what is an ideal humidity level for a house or garage for optimal health of building and occupants? I am assuming 40% would be a good compromise?

TIA

Guv

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Guvnor wrote: »
    I also read how some dehumidifiers actually produce heat and for every kw used in electricity produce 2.5 kw's of usable warm air which sounds like a plan for heating the garage in a more efficient manner.
    Whatever about dehumidifiers, but that's downright impossible (at least in this universe, anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

From a co's website:

How does a Calorex dehumidifier work?

Calorex dehumidifiers are fully self-contained, packaged units which incorporate an air circulation fan and a totally CFC free refrigeration circuit. The fan draws room air into the machine passing it firstly across a refrigerated heat exchanger (evaporator). This cools the air, causing the moisture in the air-stream to be precipitated onto the evaporator as water.

The electrical driving energy, the energy recovered from the air-stream and the latent energy gained from the dehumidification process is combined and fed to the refrigeration condenser which is thereby heated.

The cool dry air from the evaporator passes across this heated condenser before being passed back into the room, dry and warm. The moisture collected from the process is fed away to waste.

Due to the unique nature of a refrigeration circuit, energy removed from the air during the dehumidification process is converted into useable heat. Typically, for every 1kW of Electrical energy that a dehumidifier consumes, it will give out 2.5kW of heat energy. Thus by removing moisture from the air, rather than heating it to a high temperature, Calorex dehumidifiers will dry in a gentle, more controllable manner. This alleviates possible material shrinkage and cracking problems associated with high temperature drying methods and saves substantial running costs.

Advertisement