Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work is being made extremely difficult...

Options
  • 14-12-2008 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking for the advice of fellow boarders in relation to a work issue that I am having.

I was employed as a manager by 2 business partners in August, everything was going fine until in October the 2 business partners were having too many disagreements and arguments in relation to how the pub should be managed etc etc so the partners decided that 1 had to be bought out in order for the pub not to suffer due to their logger-heads.

The current partner (now the boss) informed me that I would no longer be the manager and that I would now be a quote "normal bar-person" but i was not to worry as I would still be getting my full time hours.(I should also add that I am the only full timer employed in my work place)
    Since I became a "normal bar person" my hours diminished and I ended up being out of work for 2 weeks on doctors orders due to stress and mental issues (i had a break down due to the bosses behaviour)

I discovered 2 weeks ago( reading the roster ) that my hours have been extremely cut and they now range from 16 hrs - 27 hrs!

I feel that the boss is tryin to make work so difficult for me that i will leave.

Numerous other situations have occurred which would take too long to put into this thread so i will put in 1 and u will hopefully get the picture from that.
    E.G. 1 Morning the float was in the till with a slip of hand written paper including the break down of the float and all that was required of me was to input it onto the till when opening and i was not required to count it. Normally i would input it without a care but for some reason i decided to count it to double check it and there was 30 Euro less in cash than what was written on the slip of paper. When i questioned him on it he asked me was i sure that he had made a mistake and basically had i not fiddled with the float...

I am at my wits end and i need to get out of this job YESTERDAY as my mental and physical health cannot take much more of this.
    I have no contract and i am gettin no pay slips... just a cheque in an envelope with my name on it. I have no idea how my PAYE and PRSI contributions are being broken down and considering the amount i am earning at present i should not be payin such a high amount of PAYE and PRSI

I am lookin for advice on is there a possibility i may have a case if i was to attempt to bring this person to court.:confused:
    I am afraid to do so and i am using this thread to gain alternative opinions on the matter.:pac:

i am not very clued up on the law and i think i would not be able to take a case seeing as i have no contract.
    If i could get any advice (be it legally correct or not) i would be extremely grateful...from one boarder to another I thank you greatly!:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

You have a contract, albeit that it is not in writing. You are entitled to a written statement of your terms of employment. you are also entitled to a payslip in writing showing deductions.
    You should :-
    1.keep a diary recording all incidents as they happen with dates and times.
    2.use your mobile phone to make recordings of incidents as a back up.
    3. Complain to a Rights Commissioner about the lack of written terms and payslips and excessive deductions.
    4. Go to a reputable personal injury solicitor with your medical records who will recommend appropriate legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Quite possible they are not paying tax on your earnings, OP. Ring the revenue and find out.

And contact NERA for advice, they are very helpful.

Advertisement