Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic Type R Insurance!

• 14-12-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

well guys im 18 and going to buy a civic type r a couple of months after my birthday! so basically wondering if anyone can give a name of an insurer who will insure a 19 year old male ful comprehensive with 1 yrs ncb and full license for 1 year! provided i get the ncb :eek:

currently with quinn ful comp 1200 for a 1.1 Peugeot! own policy!
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I hear autocad is good for insurance.

Moved from CAD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

By all means try, but I doubt any insurer will give you a quote. Maybe build up a few more years NCB on your 1.1l car and try again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

micdaws wrote: »
    well guys im 18 and going to buy a civic type r a couple of months after my birthday! so basically wondering if anyone can give a name of an insurer who will insure a 19 year old male ful comprehensive with 1 yrs ncb and full license for 1 year! provided i get the ncb :eek:

Your looking at 4500, should it be in a garge, alarmed etc...

or 1200 company policy, but you dont get ncb...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

You'd be very lucky to be insured at your age on what is viewed as a High Performance car by most companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Quinn are usually the best bet for young lads. If you've got a bit of NCB built up, they might talk business. Try shop around for quote's, and try it on a Civic SiR aswell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

you wont get insured striaght out, you would have to insure a lets say fiesta 1.1 then after a month tell them you just sold the fiesta and have abought the CTR, that way they have to cover you but may charge a mad fee!!!!

best of luck in your search!

you could also try XS Direct, big excess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 biobuilder

micdaws wrote: »

im having the exact same problem cant get any insurer to even give me a quote until im 30!!!!!!!!! and im still only 18 and now i have my ek9 sitting in my driveway any tips would be greatly appreciated:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

biobuilder wrote: »
    im having the exact same problem cant get any insurer to even give me a quote until im 30!!!!!!!!! and im still only 18 and now i have my ek9 sitting in my driveway any tips would be greatly appreciated:mad::mad::mad::mad:

You bought a car without first seeing if you could insure it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Your not going to get insured easily on it at all, and if you do prepare to take out a morgage to pay for it id say your talking round the 4k mark with a stupid excess if you even get a quote :eek:
    biobuilder wrote: »

How much are you selling the EK9 for??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I'm 31, I've had an 05 Type R Civic for 3 years, and only this year have I managed to get fully comp at a reasonable price - €700. My own insurance company of 11 years quoted me €3500!!! I got mine through www.chill.ie
    You're not likely to get insured being 19. They'll screw you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Aaaah, to be 18 again and dreaming of fancy cars and fancy chics

I guess things haven't changed much since I got my first insurance on my very own high performance vehicle. A beautiful navy blue 4 year old yoke I bought for £1500, instead of taking that month long holiday in Los Angeles, with all it's fancy cars and fancy chics.
    You couldn't even see out the back windows, but there was a hell of a lot of room for the odd tumble. Here's a pic of one, although mine didn't look this good.

On a serious note, to the OP.

Fogeddaboudit. You're 18. Go and have some fun with the fancy chics and leave the fancy car until you're past all the partying and oat sewing. Get yourself a nice little motor you can clean every Saturday and resist the urge to hang a noisy drainpipe from the back of it. Those air filters aren't all they're cracked up to be either and for the love of all that's holy don't stick a silly spoiler on anything. If it didn't come with it, it doesn't need it. Instead of paying 4 grand a year insurance to drive something that will probably get you killed before you're 23, save the money and use it as a deposit on a house. (Here's a tip, if you're weekly insurance cost is more then your weekly petrol costs, you're driving the wrong car)

There's a reason they charge so much for the insurance, it's cos you're a kid. A brat, a whippersnapper, a mere child. And you wouldn't trust a kid to drive your Type R now, now would you?

While I'm sure this aged wisdom will more than likely fall on deaf ears, I think you should consider it all very carefully before calling me a stupid old bollox.

If you do take my advice, when you're about 30, you'll have your own house that'll be in bits becasue of all the wild parties you had, and you'll then be able to buy that fancy car safe in the knowledge that when you're doing 140K on that country road, at least you'll be aware of the hazards around you.

And just in case you think it's all horrible, I've owned a couple of sports cars and a few coupes, since I got old enough to leave the sensible cars behind. My current car is an 8 year old BMW 323Ci that goes like the clappers. My wife says I look cool in it, but she's biased. ;) And even though I'm 43, I'm mentally young enough (see immature) to enjoy it and old enough to know it's limitationss - and more importantly, mine. Now if only I had all my hair. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

DubTony wrote: »
    Aaaah, to be 18 again and dreaming of fancy cars and fancy chics

I guess things haven't changed much since I got my first insurance on my very own high performance vehicle. A beautiful navy blue 4 year old yoke I bought for £1500, instead of taking that month long holiday in Los Angeles, with all it's fancy cars and fancy chics.
    You couldn't even see out the back windows, but there was a hell of a lot of room for the odd tumble. Here's a pic of one, although mine didn't look this good.

On a serious note, to the OP.

Fogeddaboudit. You're 18. Go and have some fun with the fancy chics and leave the fancy car until you're past all the partying and oat sewing. Get yourself a nice little motor you can clean every Saturday and resist the urge to hang a noisy drainpipe from the back of it. Those air filters aren't all they're cracked up to be either and for the love of all that's holy don't stick a silly spoiler on anything. If it didn't come with it, it doesn't need it. Instead of paying 4 grand a year insurance to drive something that will probably get you killed before you're 23, save the money and use it as a deposit on a house. (Here's a tip, if you're weekly insurance cost is more then your weekly petrol costs, you're driving the wrong car)

There's a reason they charge so much for the insurance, it's cos you're a kid. A brat, a whippersnapper, a mere child. And you wouldn't trust a kid to drive your Type R now, now would you?

While I'm sure this aged wisdom will more than likely fall on deaf ears, I think you should consider it all very carefully before calling me a stupid old bollox.

If you do take my advice, when you're about 30, you'll have your own house that'll be in bits becasue of all the wild parties you had, and you'll then be able to buy that fancy car safe in the knowledge that when you're doing 140K on that country road, at least you'll be aware of the hazards around you.

And just in case you think it's all horrible, I've owned a couple of sports cars and a few coupes, since I got old enough to leave the sensible cars behind. My current car is an 8 year old BMW 323Ci that goes like the clappers. My wife says I look cool in it, but she's biased. ;) And even though I'm 43, I'm mentally young enough (see immature) to enjoy it and old enough to know it's limitationss - and more importantly, mine. Now if only I had all my hair. :rolleyes:

+1 exacyly what i was thinking, but put much better than i would have. why any 18 year old wants to be slave to a car ill never understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

damoz wrote: »
    +1 exacyly what i was thinking, but put much better than i would have. why any 18 year old wants to be slave to a car ill never understand.

+1

p.s. anather young fella whant an Type-R.. And thats not happening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

damoz wrote: »
    Because they think it'll help them get laid?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Anan1 wrote: »

Lads that think that do exist alrite, laughable stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

as has been said your not being realistic at 19 chances are your way too young and inexperienced to hand a car as powerful as an ek9

they insurance companies know this (there not stupid) so the risk is way too great.

we've all been there and we've all had to grin and bear it until we've built up ncb

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Lads that think that do exist alrite, laughable stuff.

exist? the country is plagued with them!!

Theres a 24 year old guy I know who drives up and down the town in his "modified" car beeping at and pulling over to chat to 16/17 year old girls!

:rolleyes:

he's just the worst of a bunch of them ya see in towns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Anan1 wrote: »

:D:D:D

Get the van. There were 6 of us in ..... ah, never mind. ;)

draffodx wrote: »
    exist? the country is plagued with them!!

Theres a 24 year old guy I know who drives up and down the town in his "modified" car beeping at and pulling over to chat to 16/17 year old girls!

:rolleyes:

he's just the worst of a bunch of them ya see in towns

What's actually handy about them lads is they are always around after nightclubs finish and taxis are mental. Was out twice in Longford over Xmas with herself. Both nights I just waved a "sham-salute" at the nearest modified/loud motor I could find and got myself, my gf and her friend dropped home for free. Job. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

My first car at 17 was a banged up Mini Metro, with suspension you had to pump up every few months. It squeaked as it bounced along. It had furry seat covers, a radio in which I had to replace the fuse every few days, and occasionally the back of the drivers seat wouldn't stay up.. Funny thing was, it was a complete Fanny magnet, and that's no bull!

Forget this Type R @ 19 rubbish. Wait a few years until you're wise enough not to drive like a lunatic.

Of course, you could always buy a regular Civic and stick a Type R badge on it. That's what a lot of people do.. and it looks cooool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Right, i have to ask you this. Why do you want a civic? They arent good looking, they arent comfortable, they are fairly fast but have hardly any torque so you have to rev the life out of them, they are rattly, they are too hard to be comfortable for most Irish roads, interior is plasticy, they are front wheel drive so you cant practically modify them to anything more than about 220bhp, etc. The list of reasons for why you would want one is far outweighed by the reasons not to want one. I cannot for the life of me see what this fascination with Civics is. There are so many better cars in the world but you clearly have decided you want this because your friends think its cool.

Sorry, if im being condescending here but c'mon they are nothing special as cars go. Think outside the box and get something that actually is cool and a little bit different rather than just being another young fella trying to write off a type r. And you will write it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Nobody is going to insure you on a Type R and here's why

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080127/BREAKING_NEWS/274162577/1053/BREAKING_NEWS

samsemtex wrote: »
    Right, i have to ask you this. Why do you want a civic? They arent good looking, they arent comfortable, they are fairly fast but have hardly any torque so you have to rev the life out of them, they are rattly, they are too hard to be comfortable for most Irish roads, interior is plasticy, they are front wheel drive so you cant practically modify them to anything more than about 220bhp, etc. The list of reasons for why you would want one is far outweighed by the reasons not to want one. I cannot for the life of me see what this fascination with Civics is. There are so many better cars in the world but you clearly have decided you want this because your friends think its cool.

Your really missing the point of an ek9 civic type r, there not meant to be good looking, comfortable or noise free.

they were designed as a track car suitable for every day road use, torque is sacrificed for this and the revvy nature of the car is deliberate.

when honda where creating the integra they described it as a bike in the form of the car, the civic is similar.

bhp isn't everything in a performance car, the civic's handling is what sets it apart and around a track it would give much higher horse power cars a run for there money.

if you dont understand what the civic is about you shouldn't really comment on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

cozmik wrote: »
    Nobody is going to insure you on a Type R and here's why

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080127/BREAKING_NEWS/274162577/1053/BREAKING_NEWS
    Christ thats scary, was it just me or did somone say that they're 21, getting their second M5 and someone of 18 isn't ready for the power of an M5?! And this chap of 21 is well able for the power! I'd be afraid of my life to drive one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

draffodx wrote: »
    Your really missing the point of an ek9 civic type r, there not meant to be good looking, comfortable or noise free.

they were designed as a track car suitable for every day road use, torque is sacrificed for this and the revvy nature of the car is deliberate.

when honda where creating the integra they described it as a bike in the form of the car, the civic is similar.

bhp isn't everything in a performance car, the civic's handling is what sets it apart and around a track it would give much higher horse power cars a run for there money.

if you dont understand what the civic is about you shouldn't really comment on it

Thats fair enough but why on earth would you want that as an everyday car? Realistically when is he going to take it to a track? And secondly it will not give any high performance car a run for its money. It only has 182bhp. Its perfectly logical as a second car and you take it to Mondello a lot but as an everyday car they dont cut the mustard. I can guarantee you that the 90% of Type R Civics in this country have never seen the inside of Mondello Park. So why would you buy one if that is "what they are about"? On real Irish roads i can think of many cars that would be more comfortable, better looking and faster across bumpy roads for which cars like the Civic type r were not designed.

Dont tell me what i can and cannot comment on by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 micdaws

shut up you old bollix!!!! hah just messing hmmm...almost as old to my dad but you got some fairly sensible knowledge i must say i do believe every word you say...parties are fu XD at my own place!! cheers man! thats a bit of an eye opener :O

cheers and thanks :D

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I'd be afraid of my life to drive one!

No need to be afraid, respect for the power and knowing your own limits before finding those of the car/any other vehicle is the key.

Thats fair enough but why on earth would you want that as an everyday car? Realistically when is he going to take it to a track? And secondly it will not give any high performance car a run for its money. It only has 182bhp. Its perfectly logical as a second car and you take it to Mondello a lot but as an everyday car they dont cut the mustard. I can guarantee you that the 90% of Type R Civics in this country have never seen the inside of Mondello Park. So why would you buy one if that is "what they are about"? On real Irish roads i can think of many cars that would be more comfortable, better looking and faster across bumpy roads for which cars like the Civic type r were not designed.

I drive an Integra everyday and its fine, I live on terrible roads too,it meets what I personally want from a car perfectly, just because your idea of a daily driver is different doesn't make it a bad car.

I'm part of an owners club that have regular track days, so realistically theres plenty of opportunities to take a car to a track.

Go to a track day and any healthy civic or integra will be keeping up with 300bhp evos, skylines, impreza's on the twisty bits easily.
    There well known to be the best fwd handling cars ever produced and 182bhp from an n/a is not slow!

If 90% of ek9's haven't seen the inside of mondello park then thats the owners fault not the cars, I agree though that alot of civics and Integras and the likes out there are owned by people that dont know what there at with them and give them a bad image.

Of course there are cars that are more comfortable, better looking and faster just the same as there are cars slower, worse looking and even less comfortable.

apologies on commenting on what you can and cant comment on, my phrasing was wrong I meant just because the civic doesn't suit your needs doesn't mean it wont suit someone else, I like cars like the ek9 and they suit me but I dont go and say some other form of car isn't worth buying just because it doesn't suit me

But your points are valid points , the ek9/dc2 aren't for everybody and they are bought by idiots who just think there cool cos they've got a fast ish car and they can look cool with that R badge but i'm just saying some people buy them because thats what they want from a car, My car puts a smile on my face anytime I drive it whereas it may be the worst experience in a car for someone else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Good post, its beyond crazy alrite.

Tyre R's are going for what 7k for a 98 here?

Sure you'd get a modern 05 Celica for that.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=&hassearched=Y&make=TOYOTA&min_pr=75&source=0&model=CELICA&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=2&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=18&ukcarsearch_full.y=3&start=6&distance=76&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200904327632934

Or a comfortable and quick Octavia 180bhp Vrs

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=SKODA&min_pr=75&source=0&model=OCTAVIA&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=2&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=vrs&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=0&ukcarsearch_full.y=0&start=3&distance=21&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200903326992863

Advertisement