Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ek9 Civic Type R Insurance!!

Options
  • 14-12-2008 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

well guys im 18 and going to buy a civic type r a couple of months after my birthday! so basically wondering if anyone can give a name of an insurer who will insure a 19 year old male ful comprehensive with 1 yrs ncb and full license for 1 year! provided i get the ncb ;)

currently with quinn ful comp 1200 for a 1.1 Peugeot! own policy!
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

micdaws wrote: »
    well guys im 18 and going to buy a civic type r a couple of months after my birthday! so basically wondering if anyone can give a name of an insurer who will insure a 19 year old male ful comprehensive with 1 yrs ncb and full license for 1 year! provided i get the ncb ;)

You wont get insured on a TypeR @ 19 im heading on 21 and wont get insured on a TypeR im with quinn too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Quinn won't touch you till you hit either 21 or 25.

and when they do prepare to be raped on the price of the insurance.
    then again if you can afford the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I was told I wouldn't be insured on a Teg Type R when I was already 26, so don't be surprised if you get a lot of refusals, that said, it's actually illegal for them to refuse insurance once you've bought the car, but they don't have to be any way reasonable with the price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

You wont find insurance on an ek9 at 19 and if you do it will be atleast 3k..not worth it. Im 21 with full licence 2 yrs and nearly 4 yrs NCB and im still getting quotes of 1800-2k on an ek9. Just sick with driving something a little smaller for a year or two untill your premiums come down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

You could try an FTO.

Im 21, 3 years named experience under mothers name, Full Licence 1.5 years.

Manual 2.0 V6 MIVEC 200BHP, Fully Comp, €4k value, Mods declared (Induction kit, Exhaust Sys,Lowered)-€1.6K

TPFT without mods was €1.1k
    You'd pick one up for €3k or less atm

Faster and IMO nicer looking than a CTR.
    You'd be looking at around €2.5k fully comp as a guesstimate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I was told I wouldn't be insured on a Teg Type R when I was already 26, so don't be surprised if you get a lot of refusals, that said, it's actually illegal for them to refuse insurance once you've bought the car, but they don't have to be any way reasonable with the price

well i called quin direct for qoute on clk i whanted to buy and they told me 1.1keu. it was grand, so i thought mine insurance ( axa wount be far from this price) so i went to office and told ha i bough a new car. so they told me: sorry but we cant insure you this car untill you wount be 35 years old. Now imagine mine face.

I said that i bought it allready. And they just told me to fudge myslef in nice form... I asked her aswell, why quin direct gives me qoute of 1.1k then... she could not say nothing.... They did not whanted to give me any offer, even bad one. So this illegal to refuse, is not working for axe i see...

Btw i was 22years old and had 1ncb, and i got mine misses as named driver on this car aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

well i called quin direct for qoute on clk i whanted to buy and they told me 1.1keu. it was grand, so i thought mine insurance ( axa wount be far from this price) so i went to office and told ha i bough a new car. so they told me: sorry but we cant insure you this car untill you wount be 35 years old. Now imagine mine face.

I said that i bought it allready. And they just told me to fudge myslef in nice form... I asked her aswell, why quin direct gives me qoute of 1.1k then... she could not say nothing.... They did not whanted to give me any offer, even bad one. So this illegal to refuse, is not working for axe i see...

Btw i was 22years old and had 1ncb, and i got mine misses as named driver on this car aswell.

Translation please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Small bit offtopic but would it be worth taking the hit on being a named driver on a car that would otherwise cost you 2.5k insurance if it means saving you >1000euro.

Or is it more beneficial to just get insured for 2.5k and start building up a NCB?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

here ya go 1800-no chance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Translation please?

I think he's trying to say that there is no legal obligation on insurance companies to quote you if you have already bought the car, which is true.

It is possible to get insured on a CTR at 19 but be prepared to do alot of running around and chasing and then be prepared to pay 6k +, its just not worth it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 micdaws

woah you guys are really helpful on here XD hmm well i think i want the car bad enough so ill be saving away like! maybe willing to be put down as a named driver r suming yeah, if it'l get me cover like! i know its a push to be looking for insurance like but i still think it must be possible, you've all seen 18 year olds driving round in type r's, mivecs, corolla gti's! if these guys can get insured surly the rest of us can?:eek:

woah you guys are really helpful on here XD hmm well i think i want the car bad enough so ill be saving away like! maybe willing to be put down as a named driver r suming yeah, if it'l get me cover like! i know its a push to be looking for insurance like but i still think it must be possible, you've all seen 18 year olds driving round in type r's, mivecs, corolla gti's! if these guys can get insured surly the rest of us can?:eek:

most of those guys are doing it one of the following ways:

not declaring what the car properly is
    trade insurance
    know someone in the insurance industry
    daddy is rich and can afford anything

the first two are dodgy as in if they crash and the insurance company finds out they will not cover them for the crash

if you dont fall into the other two then be prepared to face a huge struggle to get insurance.

all you can do is get the phonebook and ring around, online quoting systems will just say no so dont bother with them, you can contact the irish insurance federation for advise too.

thanks man i do think it'l be a struggle but the phonebook thing , think your def right there!! i thought those guys wer doing some risky **** alrite like :S

cheers! :)

A lot of them are also using Quinns 3rd party extension..

ClioV6 wrote: »
    A lot of them are also using Quinns 3rd party extension..

not sure if its changed but a year ago quinns 3rd party extension only covered people under a certain age on cars up to 130bhp

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

hibernian do that me thinks. Once the car is 2ltr or under you can drive it. The car has to be under the name of someone else tho and insured by someone else.

My mate is 18 and driving a damn wrx subaru -_-

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    hibernian do that me thinks. Once the car is 2ltr or under you can drive it. The car has to be under the name of someone else tho and insured by someone else.

My mate is 18 and driving a damn wrx subaru -_-

its extremely dodgy though, if the insurance company find out he is using the WRX regurarly (sp?) instead of the car he is actually insured in then his insurance will be void

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Good job he doesnt so. He drives an astra most times lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Duff wrote: »
    You wont find insurance on an ek9 at 19 and if you do it will be atleast 3k..not worth it. .

And if you do It will come with a 4k excess!

or you can add another 1k to the premium price to get it down to 2k excess

I think most people here know which site offer this service - their not worth mentioning though

( but they do offer windscreen cover for only €20 extra :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

18 year olds shouldnt be allowed drive a type R in my opinion...9 out of 10 will race it....the other 1 is a poser....

They are a very quick, track setup car....should stay on the track...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 angel12

hi,

I wouldn't be insured on a Teg Type R when I was already 23, so don't be surprised if you get a lot of refusals, that said, it's actually illegal for them to refuse insurance once you've bought the car, but they don't have to be any way reasonable with the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Having said that, a friend of mine had a Type R Teg insured when he was 21. Fully comp, with all mods declared, 1 yr no claims. Cost him €1,600

And at 24 my insurance for a 1.4 Focus was €1,500 TPFT with 1 yr no claims.

Insurance in this country is a joke. Apparently Cavan is a higher insurance area than most of Dublin.

angel12 wrote: »
    hi,

it's actually illegal for them to refuse insurance once you've bought the car, but they don't have to be any way reasonable with the price.

no its not illegal for them to refuse you cover just because you've bought a car, there under no legal obligation at all to quote you in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bewildered

Hey man,

A close friend of mine has been insured on his Ek9 for just under a year now, he's 21 with a few years ncb, and I think he's paying just over 2,300 or something like that. He's insured with a broker down in Greystones methinks. I've seen a crap load of type R's down there with some fairly young drivers, but so far he seems to be the youngest.

All I can say is, if you search around and put in the hours, you'll eventually find something worthwhile. I'm currently buying a '94 1.6 EJ1 civic, and was quoted 5050 quid as a 22 year old with named driver experience, but was also quoted 1800 if I do hibernians ignition course, which is free, so I guess basically there's options for you if you look for them.

Just dont expect to pay near to what your mates are paying for their 1.4 polo.

Thank youuuu!! thats more the kinda stuff i wanna hear man XD cheers good advice and the ignition course sounds really good :O

bewildered wrote: »
    Hey man,
    I've seen a crap load of type R's down there with some fairly young drivers,

Replicas surely?

Type Rs aren't that common now..are they? :(

I dunno man, there's some really decent mechanics down around wicklow/greystones area. I know of two definite Ek9s in greystones itself, along with my mates, and I'm pretty sure there's at least 2 in the surrounding towns.

I was surprised to know that they were so uncommon actually, because I saw them so much. I guess I took it for granted that they were so nice because I was seeing them so often.

That said, there are about 80 horribly done replicas for every 1 nice Type R that I've seen. Makes it much better when you overtake them in VTEC to see the look on their faces.

Funny thing is, I've heard a lot of people putting huge money into making themselves an alright replica, when you can get a JDM Type R imported for about 13 grand.

And I'll stop hijacking your thread now... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Replicas surely?

Type Rs aren't that common now..are they? :(

yes, sadly they are...

cant you just make a replica like the majority of them and settle for that as you already have a 106, one of the best handling cars Ever made ( rated along side the likes of rx-7's, evo's and the lancia delta ) sure its not fast but buy a gti or Rallye model... heck Even a xsi model would be worth it...

civics dont handle too well, as i already knew and proved last night :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

TypeR Badge doesnt make it a TypeR :p

• Advertisement

Civics dont handle so well? Are you kidding? Type Rs are famous for their handling. And yes, I know there are thousands of type R badges on SIRs, in the same way an M badge does not mean its not a piece of ****. I know this because apart from the 4 or 5 Type Rs that I've seen, there's been about 50 horrible horrible replicas, that give it a bad name.

I wouldn't go as far as to say a Type R would be common, as that's almost an insult to the car, but to say you don't see them, well in my opinion, you're just not looking.

(by the way I assume we're all talking about Ek9s here, handling on the EP3 is not worth mentioning)

Advertisement