Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ek9 Civic Type R Insurance!!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have a 2002 EP3 (soon to be for sale), I'm 28 with 2 years NCB, and only XS Direct would insure me. I called the biggest 5 companies and all of them said they will not insure my car at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Me next door neighbour is only 19 and he's insured ona type R. IIRC 1 year no claims bonus and full license. I dont know exactly what his insurance is but it was definately under 2000. It depends on what part of the country your from also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

S.I.R wrote: »
    civics dont handle too well, as i already knew and proved last night :)

Cant drive a vtec maybe?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

@ OP

Easiest thing to do, is to get your father, mother or someone you know who has been driving for years with a clean license to insure the car and you drive it.

If you have comprehensive insurance with Quinn you can drive other cars that are insured.You will only be insured as third party while driving the type R but its better than nothing :pac:

A young fella about your age bought a 2.2l Bmw off my uncle and he did just that.His father insured the car for 700e or something ( might be more on a type R ) and the son drove it.It doesnt work out too bad when you think about it.Say you keep your peugeot you have now and keep insuring it, thus adding a few ncb's and as you have a full license you will be paying under 1000e next year.Of course this just a plan B, if they turn you down you flat for a Type R on your policy ( which I think they will ).Its worth thinking about though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Cant drive a vtec maybe?;)

can't drive at all is more likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im 25, 3 years ncb (in may) on my second provisional.

this year i went from a 1.6 civic lsi coupe to a 2 litre legacy b4 turbo. they charged me an extra 80 euro for 3 months. (i had already paid 1600 for the civic for the year)

had the leggy for a week and the engine went, went from that to a 2.2 litre euroR accord, charged me another 90 euro.

when my renewal was up they wanted 2200 for the euroR, so i sold it and bought a 1999 accord sir-t, 2 litre dohc vtec and theyre chargin me 1700 now fullycomp.

happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Think 25 is the magic number, once you hit that you go into a safer bracket and get a nice reduction. (appears that way anyway) Only another 4 years to go for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh 25 means u can pretty much insure anything, im with quinn 3rd party, 24, 4 years ncb, wouldnt insure me on a supra tt until 25, but mr2 turbo was only 1k, now on a 2.5l quad cam legacy and it is only 800. It seems to be mad hit and miss with insurence companies. some companies wouldnt even quote me on the mr2 tubby.
    Whats the story with the CTR? has it just a bad rep or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

gline wrote: »
    yeh 25 means u can pretty much insure anything, im with quinn 3rd party, 24, 4 years ncb, wouldnt insure me on a supra tt until 25, but mr2 turbo was only 1k, now on a 2.5l quad cam legacy and it is only 800. It seems to be mad hit and miss with insurence companies. some companies wouldnt even quote me on the mr2 tubby.
    Whats the story with the CTR? has it just a bad rep or something?

Yeah bad rep, and robbed and crashed a lot!!

Bryn wrote: »
    Yeah bad rep, and robbed and crashed a lot!!

is that the same as the ITR? im looking to get one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

is that the same as the ITR? im looking to get one :(

All import Hondas are black listed from civic sir's to type r's and integra sir's to type r's even the prelude sir is loaded.

if you can find a uk/euro/irish spec, there alot easier to insure as they come with cat1 security as standard.

jap models come with zero security.

euro models generally have 10bhp less power though but better final drives for higher top speeds

so does that mean euro type r's are cheaper/easier to insure then the jap models? :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Yup.

Why the sad faces anyway? They only have a bad rep because of the boy racer image which you will shake off if you dont cause any hassel to the guards, they are prone to be robbed as they are just desirable cars and crashed alot because.. I dont know.

so does that mean euro type r's are cheaper/easier to insure then the jap models? :(

yeh i had found it alot easier to insure my ukdm

the jap version is robbed alot because there incredibley easy to steal

there crashed alot because there a powerful car and many idiots get behind the wheel of them with not enough experience to handle them

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dexters16

why would ya bother with a type r at 19, they're stupid insurance! i've a 106 gti the last 2 years, insurance is no problem at all! AXA this year is 1000 fully comp, im 21 with 4 yrs NCB! 106 is way better cause you've constant power from when you put the foot down instead of waiting for a v-tec to kick in! parts are very cheap for them too and they handle savage! also you'd pick one up for about 3k now which is a lot cheaper than a type r and they're a real road sleeper! i've beaten plenty of cars in it! also just happens im selling mine!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hmmmm is it harder to insure type-R integra? i am 22 and got 1 ncb, and i pay 1.1keu for clk200, and i got misses as named driver aswell.

I will be 23 and will have 2ncb. Any chances i would get a quote?

p.s. i am with quinn atm

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dexters16

teg type r's are very hard to insure, friend of mine 23 with 4yrs ncb couldnt get quoted! that was with quinn but i'd give it a go and see, all depends who ya get on the phone!

Dexters16 wrote: »
    teg type r's are very hard to insure, friend of mine 23 with 4yrs ncb couldnt get quoted! that was with quinn but i'd give it a go and see, all depends who ya get on the phone!

Agreed, they are hard to insure. When i first bought mine i was 24 and couldn't get a quote so had to put it in my Mum's name!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Well Quinn are very expensive and not reasonable, I am 20 and pay 1,300 for 1.4 focus and I am not even driving a full year,but Ive got a full license.Another note I have a student policy and recently I was quoted 2,200 for integra type r 93.

SmokyMo wrote: »
    Well Quinn are very expensive and not reasonable, I am 20 and pay 1,300 for 1.4 focus and I am not even driving a full year,but Ive got a full license.Another note I have a student policy and recently I was quoted 2,200 for integra type r 93.

well dont know m8.. I have insured mine clk200 for 1.1keu, with misses as named driver.

Before i bought car i was in EXE, so i asked them to change car details in mine insurance. So when they finded out its an clk200, they told me that i have to be 30 years old to be able insure that car....

Quinn is good when you have alot of ncb, EXE is good when you are first time driver.

• Advertisement

Integra type r's weren't made until '96

lol good point :). maybe some conversion? or thats maybe Sir? thought dont know when they started sirs.

By the way, can anyone tell me difference between those 2? whats power and etras difference?

pre 96 it would be an Si

i'm paying €750 for fully comp insurance on my ukdm type r quinn wanted €1200 so i shopped around.

i'm 25, 4 years ncb full licence 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

I dont really know much about the integras a friend of a friend was selling a jap integra 93 in perfect condition and with a lot of specs. When I had a look it was indeed a very beautifull car with nice candy red paint job,carbon fibre bonnet and so on...

so i rang my insures AXA and thats the quote i got, but before I could come up with the money he sold it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1288493

Granted it aint a 93 but still!

I'm 21 and got quoted on a teg type r a few months ago, 2 years ncb, 1.5 years full licence. Got a quote of 2800, Not bad considering my age and the car it is. That was with First Ireland, google em and apply online for a quote, it'll take a few days but they should reply via e mail, but if you ring they'd tell you straight away what the quote is...if any!

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1288493

Granted it aint a 93 but still!

I'm 21 and got quoted on a teg type r a few months ago, 2 years ncb, 1.5 years full licence. Got a quote of 2800, Not bad considering my age and the car it is. That was with First Ireland, google em and apply online for a quote, it'll take a few days but they should reply via e mail, but if you ring they'd tell you straight away what the quote is...if any!

Apologies, you are correct, there were a few, a very very small amount registered in late '95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bryan Griffin

Tried insuring an ITR last year when I was 22 with 2 years NCB - Most places told me I had to be 25, 28, 30, 56, a bishop etc. to insure it.

Although, I DID get a quote from Allianz...wait for it...8,426e :(

Now 23, I decided to give up on my dreams of a type R and instead went for an siR - 1,400e TPFT with quinn. Sure, it hasnt got the power of an ITR (yet!), but it's not far off! It's still 170+ bhp, vtec and decent craic to drive ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Tried insuring an ITR last year when I was 22 with 2 years NCB - Most places told me I had to be 25, 28, 30, 56, a bishop etc. to insure it.

Although, I DID get a quote from Allianz...wait for it...8,426e :(

Now 23, I decided to give up on my dreams of a type R and instead went for an siR - 1,400e TPFT with quinn. Sure, it hasnt got the power of an ITR (yet!), but it's not far off! It's still 170+ bhp, vtec and decent craic to drive ;)
    Did they break their ass laughin when telling you that?!

That place I mentioned a few posts earlier seemed great. After I got the email from them I thought it was a mistake and jus forgot about it, they rang me a few days later askin if I was happy with 2800 and I said yeah it sounds pretty good, then I chanced my arm with a DC5 but it wasn't on their system! Still haven't got enough money to buy the car yet, forget about insuring it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ah that quote beats the one I got for a Clio172 anyway..6850.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭fallon54

Another note I have a student policy and recently I was quoted 2,200 for integra type r 93.

Student Policy? Elaborate please?

Advertisement