Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Eircom the best for internet broadband

Options
  • 14-12-2008 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey, i was just wondering if eircom are the best for broadband in Ireland. Iv got the home plus package which lets me download 10 gb per month(which i dont even come near), but does this have to do with the speed of the broadband ?? This package costs me about 50 euro (a little to expensive for me) per month. I dont really have any problems with the eircom, i could have 3 or 4 tabs at any one time and stil no real promblems with the speed. I was just wondering if i could get the same kinda package with sum one else that is cheaper and has a good page load speed.

yes i am a penny pincher but it is a reccession we'r in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

UPC available in your area?

If you don't recognize the name, have you NTL cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

if ntl broadband is avaidable where you live,its about 37euro permonth, ntl cable and broadband included,goes thru tv cable,you save on line rental,if you get rid of the landline,or try 3g/ vodaphone usb modem, 20euro per month approx .TEN gig download limit is monthly cap, the speed on eircom is about 3meg per sec,in my experience usb modems ,is 90ok per sec,slightly less than 1meg per sec.
    with eircom,bt modem you can have 3 pcs on the net at once using wireless or ethernet cables. look on ntl ie website,or google upc bb package ireland.ten gig cap is nothing to do with your net acess speed ,its how much you can download in one month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mickeydee

tanx il check out ntl broadband. i dont have it in the house, i use sky but i was thinking of changing to ntl. a mate has ntl and got himself a starview box which basicaly unscramble the codes to watch all the movie channels and sports and pay per view. Highly ilegal but mite try it anywaz. this doesnt work with sky.
    iv heard 3g are cheap for broadband but takes awhile to load the pages. It is the same with o2. I didnt actualy know that ntl done broadband so il have a good look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

NTLs broadband is uncapped for anything other than their 3MB version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

NTL is broadband is excellent
    As long as nothing goes wrong. Have you ever called their customer service department? :eek:

Check it out, I think it's a better option then Eircom unless you are already renting a line for residental phone use. And even then it may be better

• Advertisement

Just checked with ntl and they dont offer the broadband service im my area(i only live in kidare for christs sake, not the arse hole of no where). They only offer digital tv and dvr.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Depends what you define as "best". As far as I know NTL have the best speeds available. 20meg broadband and TV package for 60pm me thinks but you'd have to check that up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Monthly price € 20.00 € 30.00 € 40.00

For 3mb,10mb,20mb respectivly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mickeydee wrote: »
    Hey, i was just wondering if eircom are the best for broadband in Ireland. Iv got the home plus package which lets me download 10 gb per month(which i dont even come near), but does this have to do with the speed of the broadband ?? This package costs me about 50 euro (a little to expensive for me) per month. I dont really have any problems with the eircom, i could have 3 or 4 tabs at any one time and stil no real promblems with the speed. I was just wondering if i could get the same kinda package with sum one else that is cheaper and has a good page load speed.

yes i am a penny pincher but it is a reccession we'r in.

If its just web browsing you are doing, the best package for you is the lowest one. So find a cheap 3mb line and get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

You can get BT broadband with unlimited download for 39.99. Thats what I have. I got rid of eircom 2 years ago cuz they were wreckin my tits. anyway BT works perfect for me. it's still abit pricey but never any problems. handy out

• Advertisement

Just checked with ntl and they dont offer the broadband service im my area(i only live in kidare for christs sake, not the arse hole of no where). They only offer digital tv and dvr.:mad:
    Ah stop Chorus NTL are a bunch of useless muppets. I had chorus in Limerick City and it never worked... IN LIMERICK CITY. not like its monaghan or anything,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ive Had BT, Eircom and Ntl(upc) and by far ups are the best. Granted their tech support and customer support is a absolute sham, but the speeds and uptime speaks for itself !!

im on the 10mb package and the pings are awesome for online gaming, with the right setup i can happily play online while downloading large files non stop and i get no increase in ping. The uncapped line is awesome too, it does have that fair usage policy but im at over 200gb of traffic this month and i've not been cut off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tanx il check out ntl broadband. i dont have it in the house, i use sky but i was thinking of changing to ntl. a mate has ntl and got himself a starview box which basicaly unscramble the codes to watch all the movie channels and sports and pay per view. Highly ilegal but mite try it anywaz. this doesnt work with sky.
    iv heard 3g are cheap for broadband but takes awhile to load the pages. It is the same with o2. I didnt actualy know that ntl done broadband so il have a good look into it.

staview is illegal as you mentioned and I wouldn't advise further discussion

If you just want it for basic web browsing Mobile Broadband might be suitable but signal strength and backhaul vary depending on your location.

Really it depends what you want your Broadband for and how much you want to spend, whats the limit on the amount you'd like to spend and what do you plan on using it for?

Manties wrote: »
    Ive Had BT, Eircom and Ntl(upc) and by far ups are the best. Granted their tech support and customer support is a absolute sham, but the speeds and uptime speaks for itself !!

im on the 10mb package and the pings are awesome for online gaming, with the right setup i can happily play online while downloading large files non stop and i get no increase in ping. The uncapped line is awesome too, it does have that fair usage policy but im at over 200gb of traffic this month and i've not been cut off.
    I have this too. Downloading from rapidshare with PS3 online gaming. unlimited download. very fast with BT. 40 quid a month. Is UPS cheaper? if it is I may look into it. otherwise BT is perfect. plus unlimited landline calls to england + ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I moved from BT after the great upgrade of 2008, my pings went form 20ish to over 100. And the downtime i had was a absolute joke. I nocied while on BT that their unlimited download was only 30gb, and my line would be capped ot 56k speeds after that, but osme months i coudl download as much as i wanted with no effect. For the 10mb i think i only pay 29.99, not 100% sure as its direct debit

Manties wrote: »
    I moved from BT after the great upgrade of 2008, my pings went form 20ish to over 100. And the downtime i had was a absolute joke. I nocied while on BT that their unlimited download was only 30gb, and my line would be capped ot 56k speeds after that, but osme months i coudl download as much as i wanted with no effect. For the 10mb i think i only pay 29.99, not 100% sure as its direct debit
    That is pretty good. 40 quid a month is steep esspecially when you compare it to france where broadband is just free everywhere. robbin bolixes :). thx for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

€40 from UPC for their 20Mb package MIGHT be considered steep in comparison to the rest of the world but in Ireland it's hard to beat.

That's roughly the same price eircom charge for their 7Mb package. You then have to pay line rental on top of that.

For sheer value for money, it is currently hard to beat UPC, once you don't have to contact their customer don't care department.

Cabaal wrote: »
    staview is illegal as you mentioned and I wouldn't advise further discussion

If you just want it for basic web browsing Mobile Broadband might be suitable but signal strength and backhaul vary depending on your location.

Really it depends what you want your Broadband for and how much you want to spend, whats the limit on the amount you'd like to spend and what do you plan on using it for?

I really only use it for web browsing and sum downloads not alot though, a little gaming but not alot either. Basically bebo, facebook, youtube, ebay that kinda thing. I also have the ps3 hooked up for online gaming but rarely use this too. I will be buying a laptop in the new year so this will be running off it also. Id imagine when i get the laptop sumone will be using both computers as theres a que for the net every evening in my house.

Advertisement