Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics Extra Subject Help !

Options
  • 14-12-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi guys im in sixth year and Im taking up economics as an extra subject. does anyone have any advice for me ?? If anyone had some notes it would be greatly appreciated ! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Hi guys im in sixth year and Im taking up economics as an extra subject. does anyone have any advice for me ?? If anyone had some notes it would be greatly appreciated ! :D

Personally I hate it as it's very boring, but it's pretty easy and the course is realyy short.

There is a good few diagrams you need to know so be prepared for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I'm in my first year out in NUI-M at the minute.

I did economics. In a word, dull.

Macro-economics is fascinating (Basically government economic policy, some history in here too. Keynes, my boy Marx etc.) but Micro bored me to death.

I got an A2, saying that I'd be fairly interested in economics through politics. People i know who went in without giving a scooby-doo got B1s and B2s without *too* much work, and there were A1s too.

With a bit of work, its a good B. also, the paper is very open (I think you answer 4 of 8? Is that right?) and you can predict chunks of it too, I honestly believe that. Same with business. Papers are compiled before Christmas if I remember right, so keep an eye on current affairs.

The E.U, privitisation, the 'R' word.....

go neirí leat mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

The course is short, we're revising now, you should manage
    Macro is easy and interesting, keep up to date with current affairs etc.
    Micro is soooo boring, you'll have to learn all that
    Learn all the definitions

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

If you're using Economics by Denis O Grady, then be aware that the book isn't great and notes from your friend would be great alongside it!

Heh, strangely, I found Micro interesting:) (although we've not done Macro yet, i'm in 5th year)

EDIT: Also, the marking scheme in the LC is a bit weird for it. It's by no means a new course either (the syllabus hasn't changed since the 70s!)

IMO, it's a very interesting subject and a different way of thinking. I think I'll do fairly well in the LC if I apply myself a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

If you're interested in notes, drop me a Pm I'm currently typing mine up and will send them on if you like!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

EDIT: Also, the marking scheme in the LC is a bit weird for it. It's by no means a new course either (the syllabus hasn't changed since the 70s!)

Did this for leaving cert, doing it in ucd now, I really enjoyed econ, but I think I was the only one! As for the way it is marked, it's quite strict, and unlike most subjects there's no putting it in your own words. You need the definition exact, and you need to understand it and just write tonnes, as much as you can. The course is quite short, but all that learning off by heart is a pain. If you're looking for an easy subject go for business over this:D

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Also, the marking scheme in the LC is a bit weird for it.

TRUE THAT:mad:

That's what brings Economics down in the "best subject" league.

" sorry....you have to use a table format for that part....minus 15 points fpr gryffindor"

:mad:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

damselnat wrote:
    Did this for leaving cert, doing it in ucd now, I really enjoyed econ, but I think I was the only one! As for the way it is marked, it's quite strict, and unlike most subjects there's no putting it in your own words. You need the definition exact, and you need to understand it and just write tonnes, as much as you can. The course is quite short, but all that learning off by heart is a pain. If you're looking for an easy subject go for business over this

Yeah, the exact definition point is a bit of a balls alright but they're not too hard to memorise, eg. the Law of Diminishing Marginal Returns. It's a bother learning but not hard to learn!

I've always thought Economics was easier than Business. Business, to me is like learning a dictionary:P

Advertisement