Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf community worker?..

Options
  • 14-12-2008 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'll set this out without giving too much away, so please bare with me.

I'm in a position whereby I'm very concerned for the safety and security of an elderly lady in Clontarf. I called into Clontarf garda station last night and set out the situ, but unfortunetly I got one of those 'couldn't give a rats arse for doing my job' kind of policemen who wasn't a help at all, even when I suggested that he point me towards any community worker I was informed it wasn't he job as it wasn't a garda matter..

So Clontarf peeps, is there any kind of community workers in the area looking after elderly people who I can contact?.

PM me if you wish.

I'm thinking of the parish priest, but can't find his number online :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Parish priest is an excellent idea! He'll know the score

http://www.dublindiocese.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=263
    General Contact Details (for all departments)
    Switchboard:
    Telephone (01) 8373732

Media Queries
    Communications Office, Archdiocese of Dublin
    Archbishop's House, Drumcondra
    Dublin 9
    Ireland
    Telephone (01) 836 0723
    Facsimile (01) 836 0793
    E-mail: communications@dublindiocese.ie

Director of Communications: Annette O' Donnell
    Email: annette.odonnell@dublindiocese.ie

Call the archbishops office. The secretary will have this info for sure.

Also, the government have set up the Citizons Information Bureau.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie
    It realy is an excellent website and gives information on a range of services. There are branches all over the country and Dublin city. But Dublin is so big, they send the officers around to the local areas so an office may be only open once a week. I've used their services, very helpful and not enough people know about them.

Call Lo Call 1890 777 121 tomorrow. This used to be called Comhairle but not anymore. The staff will know which services are available in your area.
    You don't have to give too much information to the officer, just ask their advice and what services there are

In a time of cutbacks, this is one quango that should not be cut imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I would contact the district nurse for
    Clontarf, Vernon Avenue, Clontarf, Dublin 3 (01) 833 7109
    Try ringing them first thing in the morning, they are usually in the office before going out on house calls.
    They cover all of the Clontarf area. There are 3 parishes in Clontarf so you would need to find out which one before contacting priests or parish workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mairt, I just asked the wife (senior HSE Administrator) and she said that the first port of call should be the Public Health Nurse for the area. If the problem is not within her remit she will know the most appropriate people to contact from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Mairt, I just asked the wife (senior HSE Administrator) and she said that the first port of call should be the Public Health Nurse for the area. If the problem is not within her remit she will know the most appropriate people to contact from there.

Sorry, I said district nurse. As Wishbone says the correct title is Public Health Nurse. They really are the key to all available services in the area. If they cannot help directly,they will know who can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Mairt you should have asked that Guard could you speak to his superior, there has to be at least a Station Sargeant in the station at all times and they are usualy more helpful! Had to do it myself a few times.. Getting the "would you ever feck off and stop bothering me" from rookies!

As for getting help, Citizens advice, Parish Priest, Local health centre??

AFAIK there is some sort of community centre at the back of the church/chapel just past the Garda Station, try going in there during the daytime, I know there is a "meal on wheels" service for the eldery based somewhere round that way, maybe try them as they give a fvck bout this type of thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for all the help lads.

I'm just finishing a night shift at the moment (well in another two hours I am) and will get things moving along.

Advertisement