Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living Room 'Ventilation' question

• 14-12-2008 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can advise on this ...

Have just moved into a House with a freezing Living room due to the Floor level Ventilation from outside!

The room is meant to be heated by a Radiator + a coal effect Gas Fire, but the room is constantly freezing even with both turned on full, I realise that the room needs some ventilation, but having a force nine gale blowing into the room at ground level cant be right > can it?

Very tempted to block up the 8"X4" Vent, but I presume some ventilation is needed with the Gas Fire in the room > maybe a smaller Vent? or one at ceiling level? instead of floor level? .....................

All advice welcome before we freeze to death :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Camelot wrote: »
    Very tempted to block up the 8"X4" Vent, but I presume some ventilation is needed with the Gas Fire in the room > maybe a smaller Vent? or one at ceiling level? instead of floor level? .....................

All advice welcome before we freeze to death :(

Can u post a photo?
    Is the vent at skirting level or below a timber floor?
    Either way do not block it.

What are the walls insulated with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As RKQ said the vent is needed but can you advise (or as suggested post a pic) as to where the vent is actually located in relation to the floor - how high from floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

RKQ wrote: »
    Can u post a photo?
    Is the vent at skirting level or below a timber floor?
    Either way do not block it.

What are the walls insulated with?

I had the same in my last house. Freezing, the vent drove me nuts. The gas fire required a gas cyclinder. When the cylinder was empty I stopped using the gas fire forever and blocked the vent. No more problem. Room was chilly but the radiator warmed it a little. Eventually I got a wood burning stove in.

BUT DO NOT BLOCK vent if you are going to continue using the gas fire. You could die from such an act. Carbon Monoxide poisoning.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Camera phone currently recharging > Its a red brick house, the Vent in question is about one foot above the floor 8"X4" standard plastic louvered cover, its the front wall of the house facing the road & I guess that the predominant wind blows on the front of the house!

The 'coal effect' Gas fire in the living room is run off the Mains Gas (not bottled gas) the House itself is probably about fifteen-twenty years old & the vent is a real pain in the ass .............

My theory is to move the vent from its current position (one foot above the living room floor level) to about one foot below the ceiling, so the vent would be about seven feet higher than it is now, that way the air flow would remain but we would retain some heat at body level?

On the other hand, I presume the builders knew what they were doing 20 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

Camelot wrote: »
    My theory is to move the vent from its current position (one foot above the living room floor level) to about one foot below the ceiling, so the vent would be about seven feet higher than it is now, that way the air flow would remain but we would retain some heat at body level?

Dont do this, the theory is flawed. You will end up with a crick in your neck - you know the way you get a stiff neck from a draught. Better to leave it at floor level.

How about putting a few potted planst around it outside to restrict the effect of the wind on it? Or maybe a plank of wood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

www.richmondbp.com/ventilation_other. On catalogue go to page 9 gas vent illustrated or checkm out rest in catalogue

Hope it works
    Heatherview

Advertisement