Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texting to other EU countries ...

• 14-12-2008 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all,

first - apologies if this has already been detailed (DID search - but found nothing spot on) -OR- of this is a STUPID question :P

I have to find a mobile phone here in Ireland for the first time - and having most friends and family in other EU countries (like Denmark and Germany) I would like to stay in touch with them via texts - however being advised by 3Ireland that you could only send texts to mobile phones that availed of the partner networks they had in those countries (which is rather limited) I must ask this question hoping that one of you know the universal answer: Is it really true that you can only send texts here from Ireland - with any of the 4 networks - to exactly those network partners they might individually have in these countries ??

I recon this is something that nto only affects me - so if this is true how to get around this ??

Thanks for the replies - and patience with me :D
    //Stone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can use o2 webtext to send texts abroad for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You can send a text to any number generally. Whether it gets through or not depends if your network has an agreement with the other network to transfer texts. Generally those networks which they have roaming agreements with will also be the networks that you can text.

Sometimes though you will find that it works to other networks which there is no agreement with, but this is not officially supported and so you will be told it's not supported to avoid complaints as it may not be successful.

Email becoming nice and cheap these days on handsets - might be worth looking into that as a form of communication with people in other countries.

Otherwise you'll see if it works by trial and error generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

davton wrote: »
    You can use o2 webtext to send texts abroad for free.

With O2 you will also have a problem as you cannot send SMS's to some providers as they do not agreements with them, I know for sure you cannot send to Yoigo in Spain, with new webtext is handy as you can see the status of sent messages.

Bit of a pain.

Also The European Commission is looking at a regulaton for roaming text text send while abroad to standard charge of 11cent. More info here.

Advertisement