Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help my foot tattoo..

• 14-12-2008 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Hey, I just got a Tattoo on the top of my foot and around my lower shin. Black & Grey (white highlights) 5 days ago and i'm having some problems and was wondering if any of ye could help me out.

First off the artist was very professional and the studio very clean. So after the tat he gave me a card with some products on it to buy in pharmacy (this is in bolivia by the way) he wrapped my up in saron wrap or cling film basically? and told me to change it that night and again the next day and on the 3rd day take it off..

I did this and on the 3rd day my foot blew up to twice it's size. The second day i was on a 12 hour bus ride going from 4000m to sea level with my foot wrapped up (i don´t know if this would affect anything but it was after this bus ride the pain got so bad i couldn't walk) As i was worried i went online and read that after a the wrap is taken off the that one should never be put back on.. but i did this twice (trusting my artist) each time cleaning with an antibacterial soap and then putting on vasoline.

Yesterday it hurt so much at times i couldnt walk and had to send a friend to the chemist who gave me anti-inflamatory/antibiotic pills and painkillers. after a nights sleep the swelling went down a bit but as soon as i woke up and started walking around even for a minute it swelled back up again. But now with no pain. The tattoo is weeping slighty in one part but with no pain now. and the foot is gradually going down. I have googled and found out that swelling is normal for some people.

Also google has told me what not to do.. but not what to do if i have done the "Don't do's" already. ie. re-wrapping..

Ok sorry this was longwinded but anyone have any advice or similar experiences?

Also on my aftercare card it says use vasoline for the first 5 days and after that, lotion when it's flakey & dry. But only half is flakey & dry the other half looks like it's burnt. So should i keep using the antibacterial soap and then vasoline. or use normal soap and lotion?

Also i'm keeping it out of the sun.,.,

Cheers for any replies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Sweenox

Any time I got tattoos I took the film off after two hours, cleaned it and did not wrap it again,bepanthen or preperation-h is wat I was told to use on it and I put it on two or three times a day untill it was healed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

wrapping it back up wouldn't have caused that. its a matter of great debate whether or not you should re-wrap, but many people do with no major ill effects, so chillax

if you were on holiday, changing altitudes, getting a relatively large piece on the lower leg/foot, traveling and walking - i'd say what you described would be pretty standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Ok, thanks for that. yeah it is pretty big so maybe i over-reacted as the swelling has gone down alot now..

so should i be using...
    A) mild body soap and a mild lotion (lubriderm) or
    B) Anti-bacterial soap and vasoline...

cheers again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I wouldn't use vaseline tbh, your skin can't breathe through that. Bepanthen is the cream I'd recommend!

Anti-bacterial soap all the way too, as mild as you can get it. (Carex ftw!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

i got my foot covered a few months ago and its still healed.

bit of advice,

let as much air at it as possible.
    and use plenty of bapanthen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement