Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband & Windows 98

Options
  • 14-12-2008 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

I recently setup a second older computer in my house so I can use older programs on it and so on. I just want to know how to setup the broadband on it. It's running on Windows 98SE and it has an Ethernet port at the back of it, so it's really only the software end of it I need to tackle. I've the 20MB NTL broadband.

Any advice please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Best advise is not to bother, more trouble than its worth. You do realise 1998 was 10 yrs ago, nearly 11 :eek: A pc running 98 is not worth a single cent, would cost money to get rid of. You'll not get an antivirus anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The main thing will be to get the drivers for the pci card.

Once it's setup it should be just plug and go. you may need to run winipcfg to renew the ip address after you plug in.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

I setup an old PC on xubuntu, it was so easy to install all the drivers were installed automatically, its grand for surfing (Comes with firefox preinstalled). Also is very good for security as theres updates regularly.
    I did not want to install 98 due to security issues and XP was just to slow on it.

http://xubuntu.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'd second the use of Ubuntu or Xubuntu (Xubuntu is less ressource hungry).

The issue with Windows 98 is, that it's end of life, no more security fixes are being released, you'd hardly find an up to date anti-virus package and it'll become another one of those zombie pc's spamming the world.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

We've an old gateway running 98SE in the office, mainly for posterity's sake:pac:

As other people say, all you should need to do is get the drivers for the card.

Our machine isn't connected a lot of the time, and when I do plug in the LAN cable it can take up to 10 minutes to auto-connect, so I do an ipconfig /renew at the command line.

FYI Panda antivirus will run fine on it, as will several of the antispyware apps. They murder the boot-up time though, its a case of starting it up and leaving it alone for 10-15 minutes before trying to do anything...though that really is a function of archaic hardware :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

From a security stand point its not really worth using Windows 98, you can't patch it and you'd be better off with something that has not ended its product life cycle as already mentioned.

However if you must get it working all you'll really need si the correct drivers for the ethernet card, whjile you could also use USB USB on Win98 sucked and its not even worth trying imho

I would say its so old that it is immune from many of the new viruses :)

If the network adapter is setup its only a case of enabling dhcp and connecting it to the router and you should be laughing.

Advertisement