Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming emergency tax?!?

Options
  • 14-12-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Im sure this has been asked a million times but Im new here and driven up the wall with emergency tax!

Im currently on that ros/paye website thingy, logged in and all and wanting to claim back emergency tax,

my job said I need to contact tax office myself to claim back as they dont?

So now does anyone know exactly step by step how to claim tax back on this paye website??

EDIT) Oh and its not my first job, and yes its in Ireland obviously! lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Are you still working in the company you paid emergency tax? if you are you need to give them your p45 from your last job. If your not working there anymore you need to post your p45 into the tax office.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shuriken

Oh yes Im still working there, and I could have sword I did that too but when I said to my employer Im being taxed she said I need to ring up tax office and sort it out myself? And she was backed up by another new girl, who said yes thats what she had to do??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

ok well if you dont have a p45, fill in a 12A form:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/faqs/starting-work-tax.html#section2

Send it to your local tax office. They will send out a tax cert to your employer. If your employer is registered for online tax they should get it immediatly and you will get money back in your pay in 2 weeks. If not they will post cert out to your employer so it will be after christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

jd83 wrote: »
    ok well if you dont have a p45, fill in a 12A form:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/faqs/starting-work-tax.html#section2

Send it to your local tax office. They will send out a tax cert to your employer. If your employer is registered for online tax they should get it immediatly and you will get money back in your pay in 2 weeks. If not they will post cert out to your employer so it will be after christmas

are you sure thats the right form i am in a similar boat?

its titled; Application for a Certificate of Tax Credits and Standard Rate Cut-Off Point

did it work for you OP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Your job should give you a P60 very soon. Send a copy of that in to the tax office with a cover note saying that you want to reclaim your emergency tax. Thats what I was told when I rang them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

On a side note - what's the story with starting a job this week at the start of the tax year and emergency tax if you don't have a P45? I'd presume that normal allowances can be calculated as there is no possible build up of taxable pay overdue at the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

On a side note - what's the story with starting a job this week at the start of the tax year and emergency tax if you don't have a P45? I'd presume that normal allowances can be calculated as there is no possible build up of taxable pay overdue at the start of the year.
    You'd think that, wouldn't you, grounded in sense as it is. They'll do the usual emergency tax routine as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shuriken

I started in October, get paid monthly, my first month wages were alright, no tax, but my November pay was severely deducted? Which I dont get but how and ever, been trying to get my money back ever since.

I sent in the 12a form a week b4 Xmas, yeh I know dumb but did it as soon as I found out thats what I was supposed to do, still havent got my tax back yet, hopefully by the end of January paycheck it'll be sorted!

Advertisement