Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kidneys mistake

• 14-12-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

is the appointment of gaffney, his undoing, did he under perform at leinster, munster and in the gp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

based on last season, taking a ramshackled saracens side to the HC semi final, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

I thought he did an excellent job with Munster, Declan Kidney didn't pull a HC winning team out of his ass in 2006. Many of the winning systems and patterns in place were a result of Gaffneys work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Gaffney's record in NH is excellent. His inital spell at Leinster marked years where the backline was in one of its best spells. At Munster(with vastly inferior talent) he got them to the latter stages of the HC and won a Celtic Cup. He got a distinctally average Saracens team far in the HC too. It hasn't been great so far in his two new roles but i don't think you can say Kidney made a mistake going by his CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

Less of the vastly inferior crap, our forwards were streets ahead of anything else in Ireland , though he did very well with an extremely average backline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

sm.org wrote: »
    Less of the vastly inferior crap, our forwards were streets ahead of anything else in Ireland , though he did very well with an extremely average backline.

They were not streets ahead of everybody in Europe though. When he was at Munster it was a sort of transition for the Munster pack, after 02 Galway and Clohessy more or less been gone. In his time Williams was on his last legs too whilst the younger guys like DOC and POC were just coming through. I would say the side that Gaffney coached for Munster were vastly inferior to that one of today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Gaffney has a great record but never-the-less, the backlines of both Leinster and Ireland look like they've regressed 4 years.

Predictable attacking play, kicking the ball away constantly, and hardly any offloads.

I'm not looking for overnight success. But even if it does take time for the players to get used to what Gaffney wants, and things haven't clicked into place yet, can anyone on here see what Gaffney's master plan is? They don't really seem to be trying to do anything in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Apparently, and i'd take this from an interview he did with the Leinster website, he wants a flat linebreaking backline, as opposed to running from depth and using speed to take advantage of holes. That'd be my best guess anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Apparently, and i'd take this from an interview he did with the Leinster website, he wants a flat linebreaking backline, as opposed to running from depth and using speed to take advantage of holes. That'd be my best guess anyhow.

Funnily enough, I thought the last Leinster game showed a lot of what he's aiming at. The Leinster midfield broke the Castres defense as often as they didn't but half the breaks led to turnovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

He says the players can come from deep or at angles but he wants them to be flat when receiving the ball/runnning a dummy. That is, he wants the players to get the ball just as they are going to hit the defending line.

Advertisement