Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for College Essay

• 14-12-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some help if possible. I have an essay to do on the origin and development of Islam for submission this week. We have covered the basics in terms of Code Creed and Cult and Mohammads birth in 570, revelations in 610, move to Medina in 622 and the rapid development of the religion

What I'm looking for is a brief background on Mohammad prior to to his receiving the revelations. What was his position in society? Did he hold a particular position or was he an ordinary person who people chose to believe following his revelations?

Thanks for any help

Ramones

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Muhammad was born into the Banu Hisham clan of the Quraysh tribe, which was the dominant tribe in Mecca at the time. He was orphaned at a young age, and brought up by his paternal uncle Abu Talib, a merchant. As a youth, he accompanied Abu Talib on at least one long-distance caravan to Syria. Muhammad gained the reputation of being a morally upright individual, and he was known as al-Amin (the trustworthy). He was called upon to arbitrate in various disputes. Muhammad attracted the attention of a rich widow, Khadijah, whom he married at the age of 25 (Khadijah was about 15 years older than Muhammad). Although religion in Mecca was polytheistic, Muhammad was probably one of a group known as Hanifs, who were monotheists. He regularly retreated to a cave on Mount Hira to meditate, and it was there that he received the first revelation.

So Muhammad was a respected and trusted person, well established as a merchant, distantly connected to the ruling elite in Mecca but not one of them.

You can find more details in any biography of Muhammad, or look up Muhammad on Wikipedia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ramones

Thank you very much for that.

Advertisement