Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurkers, come and say "hi"!

Options
  • 14-12-2008 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

There are always plenty of users viewing this forum who do not post and join in. Please do! If anything say hello in this thread :) Or make a new thread with your queries/concerns/ideas.

Looking forward to hearing from you all :D

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tumbleweed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

HALLO!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's working ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

woo long time lurker here....actually gonna go make a post now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

brill :) it's great to get some fresh input into the forum. Welcome :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Hey, I've been lurking awhile now. There's always an interesting read here.
    Veggie almost 14years, Vegan a year & a half and loving it:D

Welcome. :)

Heya dementedsoul! I've been vegan for two years myself :) 'Tis great indeed!

We nned a ****e talk thread and this is it now :D
    I have no idea what I'm going to make for christmas dinner! and now I'm panicing I can feel my blood pressure up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Long time lurker! I'm a pretty poor veggie to be honest so I don't feel as though I have the right to post here. I go through spells of eating meat and going cold turkey for months! morally I believe eating animals is totally wrong but I do get hooked on them :(

Currently I'm off the meat! but that results in a terrible diet of chips every day :eek:

• Advertisement

Moonbaby! Calm down!! Unless you are cooking for many many people? In which case, worry! :) If anyone has a good nut roast recipe, now might be a good time... ! Years ago I made a few not so great ones, and one brilliant one. Recipes are long gone, but I'd love to make a good one again :) To the "Christmas Dinner" thread with you!

Samurai! Welcome :) Looks like you need a crash course on easy veggie meals. You need to make sure you are getting enough fruit, veg, protein and carbs. I know Tar.Aldarion has put plenty of info in the stickies, so have a read. Have you tried the wide range of fake meats out there? They are very easy to prepare. The whole preparation thing may be where we are losing you... Balanced healthy diet, come on! :D

The way I look at it, it doesn't have to be cut and dried.
    Be proud of the effort you do make, instead of beating yourself up about not being perfect.
    Your making an impact on your comsumption.

If you learned to cook for yourself you'd improve your efforts.

I'm cooking the meat dinner as well simulataneosly Sweet-rasmus. And one of my ovens is broken. And I get upset if food isn't decent. I'm going to go to a happy non christmas place for the rest of the evening. Methinks.

wow!!! ok, i wish you luck :) there is nothing more i can do for you!
    Though, I'm sure the result will be wonderful.

Samurai wrote: »
    Long time lurker! I'm a pretty poor veggie to be honest so I don't feel as though I have the right to post here. I go through spells of eating meat and going cold turkey for months! morally I believe eating animals is totally wrong but I do get hooked on them :(

Currently I'm off the meat! but that results in a terrible diet of chips every day :eek:

You're making an effort, no need to feel like that. Post all you want. Also, if I can do it anybody can. All I ate was meat. Don't think I ever ate a meal without it growing up. Eugh vegetables! Until you learn to cook them right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Hey folks,

Just thought I'd post as I will be going vegan from the 1st of January! Have been doing loads of reading about it and am generally excited though quite terrified too because I'm a dairy fiend. On the plus side though, I will finally for the first time in my life learn how to cook and be forced to cook meals every day.

I'm telling myself that I'm going to try it for a year and see if it is a viable way for me to remain. I love my food, but ethical issues are really weighing me down and I want to finally get off my ass and do something about it. I really hope it works out because I would love to do it forever, but am unsure at the moment whether the dairy cravings and general hassle in restaurants and other peoples houses will prove too much to handle.

Either way, I'm going to give it my best shot and hopefully become a fantastic cook and never look back.

Wish me luck!

Giid luck monkey61. It's simply amatter of learning alternatives to what you eat now as a start, non dairy butter, fake egg for binding in cooking, various imation milks and fake meats. Not many restaurants you can eat at without calling them up and asking or accepting the one meal they may have. Cooking for yourself is fun once you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

@Sweet-rasmus & Tar.Aldarion

Thanks for the Welcome:)

@Monkey61

I hope you're successful, I loved cheese myself (& I mean Looooved, in an almost wrong and disturbing way) and found that to be the only difficult thing to give up. But after about 6 months I suddenly found the thought of eating anything thats been squeezed out of animal to be repulsive, I think you'll just find it difficult in the beginning and after that it'll be second nature.

Best of luck anyway and Happy Christmas:D

Monkey61 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Just thought I'd post as I will be going vegan from the 1st of January! Have been doing loads of reading about it and am generally excited though quite terrified too because I'm a dairy fiend. On the plus side though, I will finally for the first time in my life learn how to cook and be forced to cook meals every day.

I'm telling myself that I'm going to try it for a year and see if it is a viable way for me to remain. I love my food, but ethical issues are really weighing me down and I want to finally get off my ass and do something about it. I really hope it works out because I would love to do it forever, but am unsure at the moment whether the dairy cravings and general hassle in restaurants and other peoples houses will prove too much to handle.

Either way, I'm going to give it my best shot and hopefully become a fantastic cook and never look back.

Wish me luck!

Your dairy cravings won't kill you :) I used to love milk and now I'm very happy to drink oatmilk. Once you get used to it (or soya, almond or rice milk) then you won't have any problems. When I was becoming vegan I began with having oatmilk instead of dairy milk at home for about 3 months before making the complete transition. Gradual change made it far less scary. Stock up on plenty of sunflower spread (or soya) and get some Sweedish Glace (or other non-dairy ice-creams) in your freezer. It is good to make sure you have things like the ice-cream to save you when you crave that dairy filled treat!

Restaurants will be a hassle, but if you are good at communicating with people (and won't be too shy to ask) you will generally be able to sort something out at most restaurants. You need to be patient and explain exactly what you can and can't have. These restaurants want your custom, so they are usually happy to accommodate you (and take you money!). If you know a day (or more) in advance of a meal planned out in a certain restaurant, you would be doing everyone a favour by ringing up beforehand to enquire. Oh, and if you love your cuppa tea, head to a chemist and buy a 50 mL medicine bottle - cheap and will hold your non-dairy milk in your purse/bag until you go looking for that cuppa tea away from home! It's not often that you will be able to expect soya milk provided with your tea when out and about.

Whether you work or go to college - this (I find) is tough for vegans in terms of finding lunch. You wish you had your kitchen at your side for such occasions! If you have a microwave handy, I find that's great and means you can easily bring meals in and eat well. Sandwiches do get boring! All a work in progress...

This forum is great for any issues/questions you come across as everyone will help you out with advice. Have a read through the stickies as they are full of vegan and veggie advice.

Finally, I would recommend www.vegweb.com to get ideas for your cooking (all vegan recipes).

I hope you'll let us know how the transition goes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Thanks for the hints guys. I will of course keep you posted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm a complete lurker.... but I have posted, once or twice...

I'm very nice, really.

I had veggie gravy today, that was HEAVEN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

Im pretty much a lurker here too, im a pescoveggie. I'm 17 and stopped eating meat at 14 (I know fish is meat but hear me out!) but the parents still make me eat fish. Can't wait til april, turning 18, proper veggie woo!! Please don't lambast me for eating fish, believe me it does my head in when people say 'I'm a veggie' and then go and eat fish. Hoping to study veterinary next year, points depending.

Seriously considering turning vegan at the same time, but am completly stuck for lunch ideas. Also going abroad, how easy/hard is it to find vegan foods? I can imagine being in a restaurant and not having a clue how to explain the concept of veganism in a different language. Just the practicalities that I need to figure out before making the plunge.
    bythewoods wrote: »
    I had veggie gravy today, that was HEAVEN.
    And seriously, I NEED this reciepe!!!!

lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Hi all, I'll introduce myself now, just found this forum! I've been a veggie since I was about 6 years so haven't eaten meat for 19years. Not really sure why I'm a veggie just stopped eating meat one day, my parents never pushed me. I'm not a big fan of the "subsitute" meat, sometimes the texture can make me gag, Although I do love the smell of rashers and the turkey smelled yum on Christmas day!(not enough to tempt me though!)

Hope to post more and nab some tasty recipies from the forum:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

Welcome to the forum bythewoods, lorna100 & orchidsrpretty :)

lorna100 wrote: »
    Im pretty much a lurker here too, im a pescoveggie. I'm 17 and stopped eating meat at 14 (I know fish is meat but hear me out!) but the parents still make me eat fish.

I hope you tell people you are a pescitarian ;) The terms is easily confused with vegetarian so it's best to help keep that confusion at bay. Otherwise the general public believe that veggies eat fish. You are indeed welcome to the forum
    Seriously considering turning vegan at the same time, but am completly stuck for lunch ideas. Also going abroad, how easy/hard is it to find vegan foods? I can imagine being in a restaurant and not having a clue how to explain the concept of veganism in a different language. Just the practicalities that I need to figure out before making the plunge.

Veganism is difficult in terms of eating out. You have to be ready to ask questions at restaurants (see my post above), but if you are happy to communicate your issue, restaurants are usually accomadating. For traveling I highly recommend The Happy Cow website - you will find veggie and vegan friendly restaurants in all sorts of countries using this website.http://www.happycow.net/ I used this when visiting Paris and was able to find 100% veggie restaurants which I loved eating out in. I would recommend a vegan passport ( http://www.vegansociety.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=231 ) for situations where you don't know the language and you don't know theirs.

Hi all, I'll introduce myself now, just found this forum! I've been a veggie since I was about 6 years so haven't eaten meat for 19years. Not really sure why I'm a veggie just stopped eating meat one day, my parents never pushed me. I'm not a big fan of the "subsitute" meat, sometimes the texture can make me gag, Although I do love the smell of rashers and the turkey smelled yum on Christmas day!(not enough to tempt me though!)

Hope to post more and nab some tasty recipies from the forum:p

Welcome orchidsrpretty! I'm glad you located the forum. :) Time for you to make some threads and posts! Woohoo :D

Oh, there was mention of gravy there. I realise that everyone has a different view of what gravy is :) Some people just use Bisto (I think it's veggie) but I always make mine using a stock cube or Vecon (get both in a health food store).

I put a good knob of dairy free spread in a small pot and melt. Add in a tsp or two of flour (until it is soaked up completely, to form a paste) and then slowly add boiling water, a bit at a time (stirring well to avoid lumps). I like to make a thick gravy, but you might add a cup or so, stirring well. Once you have your wanted consistency (if it becomes too thin, all you can do is cook it off - adding more flour will screw it up) then stop adding water. Add in a stock cube (check ingredients - as I mentioned, healthfood stores will have veggie ones) or a spoon full of Vecon (a sort of stock paste - my favourite for gravy). You could add a dash of soy sauce if it appeals. Hope the recipe makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Hi!

I've been lurking around the site for about 2 weeks but I was too lazy to bother setting up a profile.

I'm a vegan only made the change at the end of October. Horribly difficult to do in school but I love it :)

Veganism is difficult in terms of eating out.

I think the term is "supremely difficult"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

im a lurker, and i know this will annoy some of ye, but i just cant understand vegans, and why they do it.
    like not even eating an egg!??! okay you may not like it,but for any other reasons, i find nonsense.

• Advertisement

Sure, it's the same with people who love the Irish language, like brown sauce, are into whatever religion.... Everone has their own ideas. And I honestly can't understand why Tar.Aldarion eats Chef Brown Sauce (yuk!), but we are all very different people :) Each to their own!

Welcome newballsplease :)

And welcome to Aoifums also :D Wahey! Another vegan! ;)

Advertisement