Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurkers, come and say "hi"!

Options

Comments

cocoa wrote: »
    *stands up*

So I started lurking and reading up here a few weeks back and have since turned vegan. This is my fourth week =) I had never really thought about it that much and never actually enjoyed meat all that much anyway, but the way I see it now if you can have tasty, cheap, healthy food without involving animals, why go out of your way? So I'm going with a vegan diet for three months minimum but so far I'm fairly sure I'll be sticking with it long after that, cos it's forced me to finally learn how to cook nice things for myself, which is great =)

So far I've been finding out I was actually really clueless about a lot of things... eg., I didn't know what asparagus look like, or that spring onions = scallions. I'm still trying to either figure out where dunnes hide their tofu if they sell any, or the best place in town to get it. Finding some textured vegetable protein would be nice too but I suspect I'm not ready for that recipe yet anyway =D

Anywho, hello everybody, this is a really cool forum which I've enjoyed lurking in =)

Nice to see you step out of the shadows Cocoa. :P

Well done on starting to learn to cook.
    Practically the best thing you can learn to do in your life, if you ask me. :)

Dunnes do sell tofu in the fruit and veg section.
    But it is the bland type you need to flavour yourself.
    I much prefer to buy pre flavoured types in the healthfood shop.
    Taifun or veggie deli are my favorite makes.

Tesco sell TVP with the legumes...it kinda scares me tbh. :(

How are you finding the change? They say you feel crappy for the first while while your system is detoxing.
    What kinda things have you learned to cook for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Hi cocoa, I noticed your name at the bottom of the forum page a few times, lurking away!
    Welcome aboard, let's have some postings by you. :)

Gone straight vegan from eating meat/dairy/eggs?
    Well done, I'd find that tough. Best of luck with it, can't help you with dunnes having tofu, I've only really gotten it from health food shops.
    Need any help, just post!

lol, yeah. The worst is the occasional free lunches with work - everything has either meat or cheese in it, without fail =( My only real problems are convenience and lazy habits. I used to frequently have plain cheese / cheese and ham sandwiches or a chicken baguette, not because these were particularly nice or nutritional but because they were easy. Now I need to work a bit more on alternatives, but it's tastier too =)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Dunnes used to have cartons of tofu but my local (a huge 24hr one, Cornelscourt) didn't seem to have it in stock anymore when I went last week. I hope it's not part of the price cut lark.

Anyhow, head to your local health food store for tofu and TVP. Sometimes asian supermarkets have tofu at a great price. Someone might be able to steer you to a certain shop for that. We had a post about TVP a while back which might give you some ideas.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055518133

and welcome :)

Moonbaby wrote: »

Oh yes! I remember picking it up, then putting it back down again, having not figured out what I would cook with it. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cocoa wrote:
    lol, yeah. The worst is the occasional free lunches with work - everything has either meat or cheese in it, without fail =( My only real problems are convenience and lazy habits. I used to frequently have plain cheese / cheese and ham sandwiches or a chicken baguette, not because these were particularly nice or nutritional but because they were easy. Now I need to work a bit more on alternatives, but it's tastier too =)
    I would be the same with rolls and things, at least now you kind of have to start cooking and eating things that are good for you. And cooking is great fun, well I like it. Especially if there is a frying pan! mmm fried onions... Things aren't as plain as they used to be, meat and potatoes.[/quote]

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Nice to see you step out of the shadows Cocoa. :P

Well done on starting to learn to cook.
    Practically the best thing you can learn to do in your life, if you ask me. :)

I much prefer to buy pre flavoured types in the healthfood shop.
    Taifun or veggie deli are my favorite makes.

Tesco sell TVP with the legumes...it kinda scares me tbh. :(

How are you finding the change? They say you feel crappy for the first while while your system is detoxing.
    What kinda things have you learned to cook for yourself?

Lots of people have been asking me if I've been feeling healthier or more tired / weaker but to be honest, I really haven't noticed much of a change. I put this down to having a fairly bad diet before and a fairly bad diet now =P I'm still not getting enough veg, although my fruit intake is way up, and I still tend to go without meals because it's easier and I seem to get away with it. I'm hoping to get better as I learn to cook more and get into a better routine nutritionally, at which point I'll hopefully notice some good changes =)

I've been working (slowly) through Vegan with a Vengeance. Hoping to make most of the meals eventually but sticking to the ones that really jumped out as tasty and/or easy for now. Made pizza last week and my parsnip & spring onion pancakes turned out surprisingly well =)

my parsnip & spring onion pancakes turned out surprisingly well =)

ohhhhh! Sounds like you are quite the cook! For your next exciting creation you should make a thread and post a pic of it. Take pride in your work and let us admire :D And it would inspire us too!

Dunnes used to have cartons of tofu but my local (a huge 24hr one, Cornelscourt) didn't seem to have it in stock anymore when I went last week. I hope it's not part of the price cut lark.

Anyhow, head to your local health food store for tofu and TVP. Sometimes asian supermarkets have tofu at a great price. Someone might be able to steer you to a certain shop for that. We had a post about TVP a while back which might give you some ideas.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055518133

and welcome :)

hah, I live just off cornelscourt hill. I've heard asian supermarkets are best for tofu & tempeh etc. I may just head into one in town sometime as I pass through every day anyway...

And wow, awesome job on the welcoming guys, super quick, friendly and informative =)

And wow, awesome job on the welcoming guys, super quick, friendly and informative =)

woohooo! :D
    We'd do anything to get the lurkers in ;) And it worked!

ohhhhh! Sounds like you are quite the cook! For your next exciting creation you should make a thread and post a pic of it. Take pride in your work and let us admire :D And it would inspire us too!

Hah, I wish! It took me approximately 1 aeon to grate the parsnips, and then the 'batter' was more like weird stringy goop and it was a race to put some in the pan, then wash my hands so I could return and stop them burning... They still turned out tasty though =) I'll make sure and post a thread for my next adventure, hopefully knishes tonight =)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

hah, I live just off cornelscourt hill. I've heard asian supermarkets are best for tofu & tempeh etc. I may just head into one in town sometime as I pass through every day anyway...

Well we see a newbie and we have to pounce on our new toy. :p

Well we see a newbie and we have to pounce on our new toy. :p

lol, I wasn't gonna mention it but 'come out lurkers' was a bit ominous... =P *runs off in search of sweet potatoes*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Hullo cocoa, that's pretty hardcore going straight to vegan, If I ever get there it will be at least after a year. Well done I say!

raah! wrote: »
    Hullo cocoa, that's pretty hardcore going straight to vegan, If I ever get there it will be at least after a year. Well done I say!

lol, well actually I spent two days as a vegetarian, in which I had my first veggie patty in subway, only to go vegan making it off-limits... I just like a challenge =) and now my knishes are almost done... I promise to post pics tomorrow for tar =)

You better be a hawt man. :pac:

pics of my knishes... sheesh, what kind of lady* do you think I am?

*this comment may be entirely misleading. There's a first...

pics of my knishes

Want! Hurry! :P

looking foward to being made hungry by your posts :)

I challenge a lurker to make a new thread. Oh go on! Or come say hello in our Grapevine chat thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

maameeo wrote: »
    i feel like i skipped the queue, like i shud have lurked first... damn!

come out lurkers, its good to talk :)
    I never knew this thread existed either...just started posting one day lol *death to onions*!!:pac:

• Advertisement

The best way to kill them is to eat them therefore reducing their numbers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Think i'll pass tbh:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Hi
    I guess I would probably be called a lurker, have posted in this forum a few times but would be pretty rare. I have been veggie for about 3 years but have recently started taking a keener interest in different veggie foods and the vegetarian lifestyle as a whole so will be getting involved in discussion more.

Alo alo lurker, welcome aboard and have a chat. You have a great name btw! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Hi...
    I'm not sure I should even be posting as I'm not a vegetarian but I love lurking here, and checking out this forum has made me rethink my entire diet and how much strain I place on the planet in terms of my food intake.
    I've gone from believing one should have meat twice a day, every day, to the point I'm at now: not buying raw meat to cook at home, and consuming it only about three days a week.
    I know I'm a total lightweight compared to most of you regulars so please don't judge me. Just reading people's comments here has enticed me further along the road to veggie-ism than I ever thought possible.
    So keep the recipes and tips and informed comments coming!

Hi, glad you enjoy reading mrsdewinter. :)
    Every little helps, not out to judge anybody. It's good that you posted, people that eat meat generally sent me a personal message instead of posting, guess to be more comfortable. Do feel free to take part and enjoy posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Hi, glad you enjoy reading mrsdewinter. :)
    Every little helps, not out to judge anybody. It's good that you posted, people that eat meat generally sent me a personal message instead of posting, guess to be more comfortable. Do feel free to take part and enjoy posting!

Oh yeah... personal message... should have thought of that... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hey, Been and vegan for 5 years

Really Brendan?

Welcome aboard. ;)

• Advertisement

Nice to see visitors from the darkside MrsdeWinter ;)

I remember these housemates making a huge deal out of Good Friday.
    Actually fretting over how they were going to survive 3 meals without meat.
    So I appreciate how much of a change of attitude that is, and like Tar said every little helps.

Welcome, and don't be so shy! It is great to see people around here. :)

Advertisement