Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurkers, come and say "hi"!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hi there. Vegetarian for 15 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Hi there,

I was wondering about vegetarianism and exercise. Is there anyone here that runs or cycles and maintains a vegetarian/ vegan diet ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Welcome to both of you! Any questions just ask :)

rocstar I think the most active trainer here is MasterofNothing, he's always running and training and such.

Maybe you want http://vegetarianbodybuilder.com/
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

rocstar wrote: »
    Hi there,

I was wondering about vegetarianism and exercise. Is there anyone here that runs or cycles and maintains a vegetarian/ vegan diet ?

Hi, I do both and have no problem with diet!! It's mostly extra carbs (the good complex kind) you need anyway, which are plentyfull in a veggie diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭katiemce

Hey guys! Ah, I'm a serious lurker for tips here but might as well say hi :o I'm Sarah, 16 and have been a veggie for 4 months-ish now. Have had the few challenges with vegetarianism the past few weeks but it's going grand :D The father's a butcher so I'm seen as a nutcase at times by people.

So yea... I'll try and post more :o

OMG! Someone I actually recognise(from the JC forum) :P

Anywhooo I'm Katie, almost 15. I've turned vegan quite recently and I was only a vegetarian for about a month before! I honestly don't miss meat in the slightest because I always hated the taste anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Welcome Katie, hope it keeps going well for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

katiemce wrote: »
    OMG! Someone I actually recognise(from the JC forum) :P

Anywhooo I'm Katie, almost 15. I've turned vegan quite recently and I was only a vegetarian for about a month before! I honestly don't miss meat in the slightest because I always hated the taste anyway!

Hi katie! hope your doing ok, i was the same tho, didnt miss it at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Welcome Katie :) As you can see we love a good chat and giving advice here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Hi there,

I run about 25kms a week (not much I know but keeps me active!) and am on a vegan diet.

For a lot more hardcore training types check out www.veganfitness.net

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Hi there,

rocstar I think the most active trainer here is MasterofNothing, he's always running and training and such.

I probably am haha!

rocstar I run around 20k per week (have toned it down for now) and train for hurling twice a week, aswell as playing matches and have found little problem in how my diet affects my performance. I am Vegetarian myself so find it a little easier in that I can use dairy to help with my protein/carb/fat intake.

As a runner/cyclist though, you will find that you burn up ALOT of calories as you know and I know all too well, and the key to having an optimal performance is intake of calories, once you get enough to maintain your body throughout the day before/during/after bouts of exercise, while continuing to enjoy food both healthily and in moderation outside of it, you will be just fine:)

Hopefully this helps you continue to train and be happy:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Hi there,

I do a bit of mountain biking, used to run a lot but the knees and hips won't let me anymore. I lift weights too at least three times a week, on a vegan diet for the last 3 years, vegetarian for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Hi soccy, yflyer, katie and rocstar! Hope to see you about more!

Rocstar I eh.....own a bike.

Thanks for input guys :), and also for welcoming me to the thread !

I've read recently the China Study and Eat to Live by Joel Furhman, which have probably been discussed here before. Both assert that a diet high in plant based foods and low ( if anything at all ) in animal foods is what should be considered a truly healthy diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Hi soccy, yflyer, katie and rocstar! Hope to see you about more!

Rocstar I eh.....own a bike.

Got me beat. I've...been outside.

:D

I know all about exercise.......visually

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

--LOS-- wrote: »
    :D

I know all about exercise.......visually
    When you start thinking about doing some exercise, you go have a lie down until those thoughts go away:pac:

Is outside like hallways and things? /looks over at door

ah no lying down will just result in her having more exercise

outside as in not upstairs :P

well..with the way the summer's turning out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JCC

Well I said I'd say hi as I'm in this forum all the time lurking around...

Been veggie for 3 or so years, after thinking about it for 20, and have not looked back since!

Nice to know there are so many veggies out there from what I read, I know not one other :)

• Advertisement

Welcome! Yes, we have quite a few Cork veggies about here. I am surprised you haven't met another veggie before! Perhaps you have many a time but they were quiet about it :)

JCC wrote: »

Been veggie for 3 or so years, after thinking about it for 20, and have not looked back since!

Nice to know there are so many veggies out there from what I read, I know not one other :)

Welcome dude! Enjoy the forum! Plenty veggies for you to meet down there, and they are legends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

JCC wrote: »

We're behind you...

Welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JCC

Welcome dude! Enjoy the forum! Plenty veggies for you to meet down there, and they are legends!

More dudess then dude, good to know there are lots of other veggies around :D

Ha I thought you said dudes, Siamese twins ?! :D

Theres as much in cork as dublin here now

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

hello,

i'm a long term occasional boards lurker! It's so brilliant for getting advice for local things in dublin and Ireland, it's really helped me out more than once.

eh, so i was looking up something to do with my bike recently and i noticed the veggie bit for the first time, don't know how i missed it before, so i been lurking recently, and even posted! Already got some brilliant ideas/information*, and i'm nearly about to be possibly converted to the idea of quorn, so thanks for that! I do all my own cooking and baking, so i will try to help out people too if i can.

eh, what else? Is this the intros thread?

i'm sue, 29, in Dublin, vegatarian for about 10 years. no plans to become vegan. me and chocolate kind of have a long term thing going. I would be most likely to be frequenting the music, books, or bicycles section. Um, any other information required let me know!

*Also gutted to learn today that salt n vinegar snack'a'jacks are not veggie friendly i eat like 2 packs for every hangover. Well, not anymore! I usually check packaged stuff so carefully! And it's weird too, eh, because like even stuff like bacon or buffallo crisps are suitable for veegetarians. weird.

AND SMITHWICKS! I didn't know my flat red baby was not veg friendly. I need to do some serious soul searching about this one.

You are safe!!! I have just (this evening) had confirmation that Snack a Jacks are ok from another poster! They must have updated their ingredients. Thanks to "ihateirony". http://www.snackajacks.co.uk/products/snacks-salt-vinegar.aspx The sticky has been updated. And welcome :) Glad you found us!

great news, they managed to make it vegetarian, but still retain that monosodium glutamate, which really gives it the flavour ;)

and thanks for the welcome sweet rasmus

Missed this little(big) intro! Welcome aboard sue, have a god one here. You seem to be getting in the swing of things anyway! :)
    Yep this is the intro for the lurkers and there is also the 'know your veggies' thread to stalk the rest of our introductions. Chocolate is a hard one, mmm, but sure dark is the best nomnom!

What kinda music/books you into?

• Advertisement

thanks for that Tar, people being very nice and helpful! And thanks for asking, you may not have the patience to read the answer, bit long!

I hate dark chocolate! Sorry, just not creamy enough. Tho i am enjoying the Lidl "fancy" chocolate range. JJ Gross or something, which has differing cocoa levels, like 35%, 37%, 55%, and 70% i think, so that's pretty good. I've got a real taste for it now :) Yes, i could talk about chocolate in a semi-professional capacity. [hope it's ok, with the vegans and that, let me know if its not cool]

for music, um, i'm open. I mostly listen to indie/rocky/folky/poppy stuff, i dunno, like beatles, ennio morricone, phoenix, fleet foxes, ryan adams, bowie, but love me some 60s girl groups/brit invasion stuff/classical/random 70s blaxploitation soundtracks and others! Also i love kings of leon, but that seems to be a bit of a unpopular thing to say since sex on fire! I've been with them since the start! i'll give anything a listen. except techno. no techno. link in my siggie to most stuff. been trying to break into the alternative indie forum, but there's a lot of mention of nine inch nails, and so i'm thiinking i might be in the wrong place!

ditto for books, i like the "lit" side of things, but will try anything! I'm a bit of a booker/impac/orange prize short list wh*re. I love sci-fi stuff too. not like star trek. Is there star trek books? But like brave new world, 1984, that kinda stuff. I also love science books, because i'm a giant nerd! and stuff like guns germs and steel, because it;s very well researched and well written. Jeebus i'm some geek. I'll stop there!

yourself?

Advertisement