Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling

Options
  • 14-12-2008 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Your opinion on cycle lanes and cycling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

My opinion is that cycling lanes and cycling are inextricably linked....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

My opinion is that is every cyclist who commutes got pissed off in the morning it would mean:
    • Lots of car sales which the dealers would welcome
    • Tens of thousands of extra cars on the road and the current motorists bitching and moaning about extra traffic
    • The current motorists not stopping for a second to realise that cyclist they pass on their commute every day isn't clogging up the road or slowing them down. Do you realy want them to buy a car?
      Edit: I realise some muppet cyclists slow down buses of 70+ people but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I've cycled their route

So overall, there needs to be more cycle lanes but if they are half-assed attempts don't be amazed if cyclists ignore them and use the road instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

More cycling will bring nothing but good to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

How about our cycleways are generally **** because there is no consideration given at present to connectivity and the delivery of a network. All we have at best in most towns and cities is sections of cycleways / cycletracks which do f' all to encourage people to use bicycles.

I applaud those who do cycle but I also think they are lunatics. It's a jungle out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Niallface

true, ****ing psycho-lanes, but there so dangerous to use i don't bother, also cyclists are the ones passing you on your commute while you sit in your car.
    i did conceive an elaborate plan to take measurements of all the mini curb heights and to high to ride over on a road bike objects on a cycle lane and place them in wooden strips outside the minister for transports house untill he realises that constantly marginalising and forcing cyclists onto the pavement is unacceptable...
    Now imagine if all the cars on the roads disappeared in Dublin and there came in their place cyclists on bikes healthily pedalling to work chatting as they go moving like a river of physical and mental well-being on their way to work... bliss............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Niallface

nordydan wrote: »
    My opinion is that cycling lanes and cycling are inextricably linked....

or are they???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Get rid of cycle lanes (because the ones we have at the moment are poorly planned, poorly executed, poorly maintained and a plain waste of time), and educate motorists and cyclists better. We can co-exist peacefully, but it requires a bit of give and take on both sides. There are bad motorists, and bad cyclists out there tarring the good guys with the same brush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

or since we obviously can't get along actually make working cyclelanes. i'm sick of accepting our government take the easy way out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Niallface wrote: »
    or are they???

Hmmmm. Quite.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Get rid of cycle lanes (because the ones we have at the moment are poorly planned, poorly executed, poorly maintained and a plain waste of time), and educate motorists and cyclists better. We can co-exist peacefully, but it requires a bit of give and take on both sides. There are bad motorists, and bad cyclists out there tarring the good guys with the same brush

+1

I'd add the usual "get rid of the mandatory-use laws".

• Advertisement

No I don't believe we can. If we can't get people to use their indicators, not break red lights etc etc etc. We have to take the risk out and separate the vulnerable road user from the vehiclur traffic where at all possible. And we have to try and make the cycleway pleasureable i.e. move it far away from the traffic that the fumes and noise effects are minimised.

the only problem then is you are shunted to the on footpath cycle lane where all those people who use their feet and a form of transport are,,, and there really squishy when you hit them

oh also it means that the cycle lane goes up and down over curbs and small steps in the path when crossing at junctions.
    perhaps if the guards actively stopped people who drove in the cycle lane?

perhaps if the guards actively stopped people who drove in the cycle lane?

yeah the same way they stop people using bus lanes and speeding. I think it's better that you provide a good quality cycle network off road if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Irjudge1 wrote: »
    We have to take the risk out and separate the vulnerable road user from the vehiclur traffic where at all possible. And we have to try and make the cycleway pleasureable i.e. move it far away from the traffic that the fumes and noise effects are minimised.

I don't think that's necessary, there's risk to using roads no matter how someone uses them - cycling, drving and walking. I've cycled in Galway and Dublin and I have to say that the situation in dublin where the lanes are part of the raod is far superior to the way many cylce lanes are part of the footpath in galway.

As for actually moving the cycle lanes away from roads, it's not really practical as you'd effectively have to build more raods to do this. It makes sense in some cases to have a cycle lane away from the raod but it won't always be possible or practical.

Advertisement