Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Wirless - Advice needed

Options
  • 14-12-2008 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi All,
    Am thinking of getting a wireless set-up.Any advice on what gear to get.I want to be able to use the wirless throught the house and also in the garage about 60 feet away and through 2/3 walls. Would I need the N signal for this? I also hope to run a printer and a laptop (& a netbook in the garage). Any advice would be gratefully received. I can spend ,say up to €150 approx. I have a BTbroadband connection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Hi and welcome to the world of wireless :)

This is not a cop out answer to your request but you will never know how wireless will work in your house - in theory those distances are ok for N but you will never know unless you go as they say, If you could borrow someones wireless router for a test you would know straight away, You have a few options

Try a router and see

I would really recommend running a cable to your garage and putting an access point in there if wireless was a must,

you could do a repeater AP but if your not very familiar with wireless this can be quiet a job.

And I guess if all you wanted is just to get access in your garage buy a decent brand Ethernet over power device

but what ever you choose don't be afraid to ask questions

• Registered Users Posts: 40 slinger99

Thanks Voodoo2,
    I guess I will do the wired option. I was wondering if you could reccommend any partlcular brand/model etc or should i go with G or N signals?....Thanks for the info...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Remember 'N' is not necessarily all it is cracked up to be either and is really still evolving.

Is there any chance that you could borrow a wireless router from someone to get a feel on how wireless behaves in your house?

Advertisement