Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband usage

Options
  • 14-12-2008 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi Folks,
    our house has 4 avid internet addicts. Is there a way to figure out how much capacity each user is using?

We've got a 10GB monthly download limit from BT, and over the course of the first 4 days in the month someone or everyone downloaded about 5 GB.
    Of course everyone pleads innocent so I'm trying to figure out what the hell is going on - the total usage isn't really of much use since it just combines everyones usage into one statistic..

Any advice/tips or tricks would be appreciated!
    Rob.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

robulus wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    our house has 4 avid internet addicts. Is there a way to figure out how much capacity each user is using?

We've got a 10GB monthly download limit from BT, and over the course of the first 4 days in the month someone or everyone downloaded about 5 GB.
    Of course everyone pleads innocent so I'm trying to figure out what the hell is going on - the total usage isn't really of much use since it just combines everyones usage into one statistic..

Any advice/tips or tricks would be appreciated!
    Rob.
    that seems very high usage in 4days ye should scan for malware ans spyware and viruses? you sshould try the steps here
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055274237
    on all four computers to rule out infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

move to eircom there's no monthly download limit well there is but they dont charge for going over it. but honestly thats the only good point about eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

move to upc faster and has no download limit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

dunworth1 wrote: »
    move to upc faster and has no download limit :D

I agree if your lucky enough to live in a upc broadband area. Get upc. If you dont you'll be stuck with eircom like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If it turns out that the 5GB over 4 days is actually what you & your house mates intentionally used, would you consider upgrading the connection? I mean, if you have that kind of heavy usage, then you would definitely enjoy the faster speeds of an upgraded package and also benefit from unlimited downloads* (assuming, of course, you want to stay with BT - or more importantly, that you have to stay with them due to contract etc)?

* There's supposed to be a fair usage policy, but I've often gone way over 30GB a month and they (BT) haven't said anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

From what has been reported here BT have a limit of 100gb per month no matter what package your on. I'm not too sure about the 1mb package though.

All you can do really is go over it and see what happens, which you inevitably will. 10gb is nothing. I download that daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

How do you differentiate between users?

Different accounts on one PC or different PCs?

If its different PCs then you could go with either analysing traffic at the router - if your router is one of the ones which supports custom firmware you could use that eg Tomato or DD-WRT - or measuring usage on the PC itself using something like Netmeter.

If its just different accounts on the one machine then you'll have to go with something like Netmeter (downside being that users could reset their usage statistics...I think...not sure if it can be restricted by Admin).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 robulus

Hi everyone - sorry for the delay in replying, lady troubles put broadband usage problems into perspective. 8-/

Anywho, I'm back. I've got everyone to run antivirus+spyware checks. Ominously none of them had an anti-virus program installed, let alone knew anything about programs like spyware search and destroy. Sure enough, all of their machines were infected with all sorts. I've cleared their laptops out for them and given them a stern talking to. :)

I rang up upc, but they don't service our area, so I started ringing around the other providers - came across a speed bump though, the housemates don't want to pay anything additional for extra capacity/speed. (even though it'd be an extra 7 a month to triple our package.) And I'm not going to subsidise their usage.

I'd differentiate between users based on their laptops ideally - our wireless router is one of the old netopia ones. I updated the firmware on that in the hopes of getting some additional, or useful logs but I didn't see anything I could use. I really like the idea of just getting a new router and remotely measuring the stats :-) So that's what I'll do - a new years resolution!

thanks everyone!
    Rob.

Advertisement